PDA

View Full Version : 35.303, Cast Bullets and my Learning / Remembering Curve !

Jacko.357
06-10-2011, 07:34 AM
Evening Folks

Ever reminded yourself about something you already know after the event !!

A Generous fella was kind enough to send me some CBE 358250 projectiles as I had been considering purchasing this Mould. In my haste to shoot them and see how they would go I loaded a few batches stepping up in 1 grain increments from 38 gr AR2208 up to 41 gr of AR2208, about 4 grains under a theoretical max load

The once fired 35.303 cases neck sized , trimmed, primers seated just right and exact charges weighed and loaded. The projectiles where sized and pan lubed, seated to the crimping groove one calibre deep. There was a magic load ready to jump out at me

I dropped a cartridge into the chamber with a satisfying thunck - closed the Silky smooth SMLE bolt **** - YOU BLOODY DILL - I had neglected to make a dummy round to check if these CBE 358250 projectiles would chamber :groner:

The projectile was making way too firm contact with the Lands, about a 1/4" from the metplat just below the round nose. The Rifles throat was too short, set up for the Jacketed projectiles I'd originally planned to shoot from the Rifle - I knew that [smilie=b: just got carried away.

No harm done, had a few new loads for my Rossi 357 Lever so it was not a wasted trip.

On the way home from the Range I had a discussion with the Gunsmith who put this Rifle together for me and have left it with him and some sample rounds to have the throat lengthened.

Now I gotta wait a couple more weeks and start again. I also have a heap of Lyman 358315 208 gr proj cast up that I'm curious to see how they will shoot with the longer throat as they showed good potential with the short throat.

regards Jacko

BerdanIII
06-14-2011, 08:11 PM
Been there, done that, hope the drive home wasn't too long.

303Guy
06-15-2011, 12:32 AM
We've gotta wait a few more weeks to found out how it went for too![smilie=1: