PDA

View Full Version : Questions on sizing tools frm Buckshot?

Canuck Bob
06-10-2011, 05:32 AM
I've contacted Buckshot and am preparing an order. I figure he is a real busy guy.

He mentions dishing and venting the RCBS ejector pin. Is that the same as Veral recommends to square up the bullet base with a little bump? Also why would it need venting?

I've got a decent condition RCBS LAM original so is there anything I need to know regarding these dies from Buckshot? Any common tweaks you old (oops, experienced) pros use?

I'm getting M die expanders cut as well. I haven't finalized size yet but it looks like 32-20, 311316 NOE .313 or .314, 444 .432, 303 Brit (?). How much smaller than bullet size is normal. I want the expander to be as large as possible to eliminate any bullet deformation possible. I'll be using the Lee FC die for all my loading for levers and hunting ammo for the Lee Enfield.

cajun shooter
06-10-2011, 08:59 AM
Let me say this about Buck shot and what tools he makes. It is all 100% top of the line and if he tells you that you need mule tail hair attached then you say OK that sounds fine. We have two people on this forum that I have dealt with on many projects and he is one of them. He will always give you a product that is worth twice what he sells them for. If all business people on this piece of terra firma that we live on were as good, we could all go back and hold hands while dancing in a circle singing What a Wonderful World. Later David

oneokie
06-10-2011, 09:12 AM
Having purchased 3 sizer dies from Buckshot, I will add my thoughts.
The dished or cupped ejector pin is usually for bevel based boolits. However if your boolit bases have bumps or high spots from sprue plate problems, the dish would help keep the boolit aligned better when entering the die body.
The venting of the ejector pin...no real opinion other than Buckshot has the experience to know what works and what doesn't, so use your own judgment about the venting of the ejector pin.

06-10-2011, 10:16 AM
Buckshot's work is top drawer and his pricing is a bargain.

milprileb
06-10-2011, 11:08 AM
the dish would help keep the boolit aligned better when entering the die body.

What does this mean. I thought discussion was about RCBS bullet molds and then this statement has me just spinning around.

Does Buckshot sell sprue plates that cut clean? Is this a Lee mold improvement feature ?

Kindly don't stone me too hard here: I am just lost and you guys seem to be communicating in unknown tongues. I don't have a sooth sayer handy to help me on translations.

Canuck Bob
06-10-2011, 11:11 AM
The only reason I'm asking is to not flood Buckshot with PMs and to help other newcomers. One man operations are always the busiest. The level of customer satisfaction for Buckshot is outstanding. His posts are excellent. I was very happy to find out he shipped to Canada.

Milprileb, the discussion is about RCBS style sizing dies thaat Buckshot is famous for. The dish and vent is a price list option I'm wondering about. I'm not sure what it does either, milprileb. Veral Smith at LBT recommends facing off the sizing die ejector pin with a small rim to bump the base of all bullets to square things up for improved accuracy. When I noticed the option of dishing and venting on Bucksots price list I remembered reading about Veral's idea.

milprileb
06-10-2011, 11:30 AM
Canuck Bob,

Sir, thanks for the reply. This bumping is on the bullet that is already cast and in the sizer ? The ejector pin will actually do that on a bullet ?

Canuck Bob
06-10-2011, 03:12 PM
Canuck Bob,

Sir, thanks for the reply. This bumping is on the bullet that is already cast and in the sizer ? The ejector pin will actually do that on a bullet ?

I'm not qualified to answer that but that is my understanding. It came from another forum so I'm hesitant to post a link. PM me and I'll try and find the original discussion. It originated with Veral Smith of LBT Moulds.

I'm currently guessing that the above dish and vent question is about lube management and bevel base bullets in a sizer.

montana_charlie
06-10-2011, 04:14 PM
If your bullet has a small bump on it where the sprue was cut, that will keep the base from making flush contact with the top of the ejector pin. That would leave space for lube to be forced under the bullet when you crank the reservoir wrench on the lubrisizer.

Dishing the top face of the ejector pin provides a clearance for the 'sprue bump' and allows contact at the circumference of the base and pin to seal the connection.

I can't explain the venting ...

CM

garandsrus
06-10-2011, 04:19 PM
The purpose for the venting is to give any lube that gets under the boolit a place to go. With Buckshot's dies, you won't get any lube buildup between the punch and base of the boolit. You will with commercial dies.

The dishing is so that the boolit is supported at the edges. This will help with alignment.

John

milprileb
06-10-2011, 05:17 PM
So are these dished punches sold to fit Lyman and RCBS dies or only sold as a package.

And how does one order a set of these dies please ?

Jim
06-10-2011, 05:38 PM
Buckshot custom made a .265 push through for me to size for my 6.5 Swede. I can promise you, I've bought the last Lee push through I'll ever have. The rest of of my sizing dies will come from Buckshot.

oneokie
06-10-2011, 05:49 PM
So are these dished punches sold to fit Lyman and RCBS dies or only sold as a package.

And how does one order a set of these dies please ?

Lyman and RCBS do not sell the dished ejector pins that I know of. One could contact Buckshot about making the pins.
If you are wanting a sizer die that is not listed in either companys catalog, shoot a PM to Buckshot.

milprileb
06-10-2011, 05:51 PM
So if I move to Floyd, you will let me know the secret to finding Buckshot ?

Doby45
06-10-2011, 07:37 PM
You just send him a PM, strangely enough his name here on the forum is.... (drum roll) Buckshot.

montana_charlie
06-10-2011, 09:30 PM
Lyman and RCBS do not sell the dished ejector pins that I know of.
I don't have many H&I sets ... don't need many. But all of my Lyman ejector pins have dished faces on one end.

The one I have from Buckshot is different. It is 'recessed' instead of 'dished'.

CM

oneokie
06-10-2011, 10:09 PM
I don't have many H&I sets ... don't need many. But all of my Lyman ejector pins have dished faces on one end.

The one I have from Buckshot is different. It is 'recessed' instead of 'dished'.

CM

Learn something new nearly everyday on this site. Went and looked at my one Lyman H & I die and was surprised. One end of the pin is dished, the other has quite a radius on the circumference.

MGySgt
06-17-2011, 03:29 PM
One more thing about Buckshot's H&I dies - they don't leak around the ejector pin - very close tolarances (SP?)

Buckshot has made a numbe of 'different' thigs for me and NONE has ever gone back because it wasn't right - everything has been top notch and right the first time around!

Canuck Bob
06-18-2011, 08:08 PM
Well I've been slugging guns like crazy. It turns out that the three guns I'm preparing to cast for all take standard size dies. Buckshot sent me a PM and his info says he does not supply standard sizes, darn.

Looks like Lyman dies for my RCBS sizer as they are available locally.

Doby45
06-19-2011, 11:58 AM
Huh? He doesn't do "standard" sizes?

06-19-2011, 12:10 PM
Yep, only sizes not available from the manufacturers.

Doby45
06-19-2011, 01:50 PM
Wow, I had no idea.. He is a very busy fella so it makes sense..