PDA

View Full Version : NEF/H/R 12 gauge Single Shot Cut Down

Beagler
06-10-2011, 12:05 AM
Has anybody ever shortened a barrel on a NEF/H/R 12 gauge single shot and got it machined to accept chokes. Or does it even have enough metal farther back on the barrel to work with. It would make a good truck gun to be able to throw behind the seat when out on the farm

Tracy
06-10-2011, 12:24 AM
I think it has plenty of metal; the barrels on those are pretty thick. It would probably cost more than the gun is worth, though.
I'm pretty sure Brownell's has a sweat-on adapter for choke tubes. That might be a cheaper way to go if you can solder it in place yourself. Their Hi-Force 44 solder works great for stuff like that, and doesn't necessarily require an oxyacetylene torch. A portable MAPP torch will work.
Personally, I wouldn't even worry about choke tubes. Just put a jug choke in it and adjust your loads for the desired pattern.
Actually, I'm pretty sure H&R makes a 20" slug barrel that uses screw-in chokes. Last I checked they were well under $100, and I'll bet most gunsmiths would charge more than that to thread it for you.

NickSS
06-11-2011, 11:43 PM
I cut down an old single shot 12 ga to give me a 20 inch barrel with a hack saw and a file for finishing the muzzelsmothly. It shot grear cylinder bore patters and was good out to about 25 yards as is but I wanted a bit of a choke so I got a 12 ga mop and wrapped a couple of turns of crocus cloth around it and pushed it into the muzzle about one inch past the end and rotated it with an elextric drill. I added another layer of crocus cloth and spun it some more. The result were than I was getting patterns some whete between IC and modified choke. This gun cost me $50 and the mod cost about a $1.00.

Mk42gunner
06-12-2011, 01:56 AM
Not sure, but I think I saw interchangable choke barrels the last time I was looking at the H&R website.

In any case, by the time you pay to have someone shorten and machine for chokes, you could buy a couple of new barrels fitted to your gun. H&R makes a 24"~ barrel for their turkey guns.

I'm not really a fan of choke tubes, more stuff to get lost.

Robert

bubba.50
06-16-2011, 01:55 PM
didn't shorten it but had my modified choke barrel threaded for win-chokes. thick as any other threaded barrel i've seen. did lose the front sight due to thinning though. for what it's worth, bubba.

CBH
07-30-2011, 10:45 AM
Hey NickSS, how does opening the bore produce tigher patterns?

Jal5
07-30-2011, 11:50 AM
You might want to post this on the Graybeard web site under the subforum dedicated to Handirifle and shotguns. Those guys know more about these guns and modifying them than the manufacturer does :)

nanuk
07-30-2011, 12:12 PM
CBH, research Jug-Choking

you only open up an area INSIDE the barrel a couple three inches from the muzzle, about 3 inches in length. (from what I remember) don't know why, but it works

CBH
07-31-2011, 01:15 AM
Learn something new every time i tune in. Thanks nanuk

NickSS
07-31-2011, 03:56 AM
Just as nanuk said when I modified my SG barrel I only opened it up a few thousandth with the crocus cloth seamed to work and the barrel also works with buck shot and slugs. My son borrowed it from me to go bird hunting a few years ago and I have not seen it since.

Cap'n Morgan
08-01-2011, 03:31 AM
I read an article once in a shotgun mag. A guy sawed off the muzzle of his autoloader and used a hammer to peen the edge of the muzzle into a slight taper, he then used a round file to adjust the amount of choke.

Shooter
08-01-2011, 07:56 AM
Using a pipe cutter to cut the barrel will roll in a small amount of choke.