PDA

View Full Version : how do i ....? marlin 44 1894

mike in co
12-31-2006, 05:19 PM
the gun has a thumb extender on the hammer, and i would like to turn it around as i shoot lefty....but i see no obvious method of attachment.
how does it come off ???

thanks
mike

Jon K
12-31-2006, 05:33 PM
Mike,

Can you post a pic?

If it's like a T/C, there is a locking set screw, opposite the extented end, loosen and reverse.

Jon
:castmine:

mike in co
12-31-2006, 06:23 PM
cannot see hex for an allen or slot for a blade......the extender is hollow but no std fastener head is visible...

Pepe Ray
12-31-2006, 06:39 PM
The Winchester extender simply screws/unscrews.
It's a "bolt?"
Pepe Ray

dragonrider
12-31-2006, 06:48 PM
Try twisting the knurled extended end counterclockwise. If that don't work then down inside the hollow area you will find a screw.

Scrounger
12-31-2006, 06:49 PM
I'd take it back to the place I got it from if I were you...:razz: If it is the steel knurled type, there is a set screw (need 0.050" allen wrench) in one of the ends. If it is the flat type, there should be a set screw opposite side to the thumb lever.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/19530-53269-1439.html

Scrounger
12-31-2006, 07:02 PM
cannot see hex for an allen or slot for a blade......the extender is hollow but no std fastener head is visible...

You're definitely looking in the right place. Take it on faith, there is a socket head set screw in there; if there wasn't the spur would fall off. Just poke your Allen wrench in there and poke around. I'm right handed but I notice half of my extenders are one one side, the other half on the other side. I find they work as well on either side for me.

Bret4207
12-31-2006, 07:15 PM
Mike- The easiet way is to just turn the gun upside down. Then the hammer extension will be on the left. ( I beat Carpetman to it!)

FWIW- On very old Uncle Mikes extensions the allen screws were on the side opposite the extension. Later models they were inside the knurled extension. Could be some gunk hiding it as Scrounger said. If it won't back out easily, it might be lock-tited. Apply a little heat and it should back out.

mike in co
12-31-2006, 07:26 PM
these things are too technical for me..i'm going wiht bret's idea...and just turn the rifle over.....

mike in co
12-31-2006, 11:31 PM
ok, from the extended side, there is a hollow then a bevel with a very small hole. a 050 spins in the hole the next catches but will not turn...it had a bucnch of gunk in it, pale sorta like dried locktite...got most out...but still do not actually see a set screw....anyone know of a good solvent for locktite ??? thinking of letting it set and soak.
thanks
mike

Scrounger
01-01-2007, 12:56 AM
ok, from the extended side, there is a hollow then a bevel with a very small hole. a 050 spins in the hole the next catches but will not turn...it had a bucnch of gunk in it, pale sorta like dried locktite...got most out...but still do not actually see a set screw....anyone know of a good solvent for locktite ??? thinking of letting it set and soak.
thanks
mike

HEAT. Or COLD. Hold a burning match under where you think the Loctite is. A minute will probably be enough. Then try to turn it. OR just set the rifle outside overnight. Sub-freezing temperature should do the trick also.

crazy mark
01-01-2007, 01:19 AM
Most lock-tite needs heat to loosen it up as it sets up to a plastic mess basically. I used the old Carb cleaner years ago to loosen up some lock-tite but I don't think you can get the good stuff anymore. Mark

mike in co
01-01-2007, 01:32 PM
ok we have sucess !!!
cleaned as much gunk out of the extender as i could,
then soaked it a bit with acetone, swapped out the residue,
then heated...took 4 wood kitchen matches, and then the 1/16 allen fit and slowly the set screw backed out.
it is now on right...lol...lefty
thanks

mike

Scrounger
01-01-2007, 02:09 PM
If you're left handed, then your thumb is on the right side of the gun, isn't it? That's probably why I found it worked either way for me on my Marlins and Contenders.