PDA

View Full Version : Badly gunked up mold

1Shirt
12-31-2006, 04:21 PM
Bought a used mold recently that is as badly gunked up and lead smeared as I have ever seen. Am looking for advise on cleaning the thing up and getting rid of all the lead on the face, top, and sprew plate in both the safest and most practical way. Advice based on experiance and sucess in "DELEADING" a mold would be most welcomed. Thanks in advance to all who respond.
1Shirt!:coffee: :coffee:

MtGun44
12-31-2006, 04:48 PM
Personally, I clean up used molds by using a ½” wide 6” long fine cut file. This requires some care to hold the file exactly flat on the iron surface and slide it gently to cut only lead. Usually just a couple strokes completely removes the lead. If the venting grooves are filled a sharp scriber will clean them out, again used very carefully to not scratch or raise burrs. Go slow and it’s work fine. I forgot to say fully remove the sprue plate. I also wind up removing dinged corners the might not be easily visible at the same time.
I’ve never done this on an aluminum mold, and wouldn’t actually recommend it for that type. Works great on iron molds if you’re careful.

Bill

FISH4BUGS
12-31-2006, 05:13 PM
Just to clear up the built up lead, take a propane torch, heat up a spot, and work slowly. Get the built up lead to turn liquid, wipe it off (very quickly) and move to the next section. Slow as frozen molasses but it works. I also clean my mould cavities that way before each use. The oil in the pores will bead up and gets wiped off easily.

Lloyd Smale
12-31-2006, 05:18 PM
stick it in a hot lead pot for about a half an hour and then wipe it down.

KYCaster
12-31-2006, 05:53 PM
Just to clear up the built up lead, take a propane torch, heat up a spot, and work slowly. Get the built up lead to turn liquid, wipe it off (very quickly) and move to the next section. Slow as frozen molasses but it works. I also clean my mould cavities that way before each use. The oil in the pores will bead up and gets wiped off easily.

This method works very well for me. I've fourn burlap to be the best cloth to use, followed by 100% cotton denim.

Jerry

1Shirt
01-02-2007, 01:05 PM
Thanks guys. Will try the propane first, lacking the guts to go at the face of a mold with a file. However, I sure do admire MTGun44's hand and the ability to work a file without screwing up an otherwise good mold.
1Shirt!

dagamore
01-02-2007, 01:21 PM

I normaly just stick them in to a top as i am truning it on, and once the pot is melted, and the mould has droped down to the bottom (note i was only using a small 10lb lee dipper pot) grab a good set of pliers and pull it out and all the junk lead on it will be gone, melted in to your mix but at such a small lvl that it should not change the mix much if at all.

montana_charlie
01-02-2007, 01:41 PM
Bought a used mold recently that is as badly gunked up and lead smeared as I have ever seen. Am looking for advise on cleaning the thing up and getting rid of all the lead
It seems like you have two kinds of 'crud' to clean away, and you have gotten advice only for the stray lead.
The other crud, no matter what it's made of, sure comes off well in an ultrasonic cleaner.

I bought mine (a cheap 1.5 liter unit) to clean brass cases, but stuck a disassembled mould in there one day...because it was driving me nuts.
I use a 2% solution of Micro-90 for cases and iron moulds, but switch to Surface-Cleanse/930 for aluminum blocks. Free half-pint samples of these cleaners are available online.
CM

Bullshop Junior
01-02-2007, 02:07 PM
The heat and clean in some form is the only way. I like to use a hard pensil with a sharp point to clean out the vent lines while the mold is hot enough for the lead to be soft but not liquid. Thank God for kids with electric pensil sharpiners. For the thin lead wash thats nearly impossible to wipe off I use the type writer type eraser pensils. These also work very good for taking burs off the edges of new molds if boolits hang up and wont release.
The use of Bull Plate will certanly prevent the problem from reocurring and will to some degree penitrate existing lead on the plate and mold top so that it will slowly be removed with use. Best to prevent the problem in the first place, but as many do I buy lots of used molds that arrive in this condition.
BIC/BS

mooman76
01-02-2007, 02:14 PM
I have a brass brush the size of a tooth brush and brush the mould off lightly while still hot from making bullets. I keep all this handy during a mould session as it helps if I get some build up while moulding to keep the operation running smooth. One of those green scratch pads work well too.

mazo kid
01-05-2007, 01:09 AM
There is a product that looks like a fine woven braided copper that is used to remove excess solder when heated with a solder gun/torch. Can't remember just what it is called, but maybe a search on the web will bring it up. It has been several years since I have used it, but it worked fine. Emery

madcaster
01-05-2007, 01:20 AM
I'm with Bullshop Junior on this one,a lead pencil.
But Mazo kid and KY caster are also right on the money.