PDA

View Full Version : bore leading and j-word bullets

medic44
12-31-2006, 03:45 PM
I remember reading somewhere that if you shot a couple of j-word bullets after a your cast boolits that it would be easier to clean up afterwards. Is there any truth to this

Lloyd Smale
12-31-2006, 05:15 PM
some people say it causes problems but ive been doing it for years and have never had a problem

Ricochet
12-31-2006, 05:59 PM
I've never had a problem with it, either. I have recovered J-bullets with gray lead all over the sides; they do effectively remove it.

44man
12-31-2006, 08:18 PM
It depends on the type of leading. If it is like I get, a few strands in several Rugers that wipe out with a patch, the jacketed bullet will push it out. That bad soldered on leading is another story and the bullet will run it over and compress it tighter making it very hard to remove. Lead on the sides of a recovered bullet means it was run over, not pushed out.
Then the copper has to be all removed before shooting lead again so I don't see any use in messing with "J" bullets in my guns. I do shoot them on occasion but I clean out any small pieces of lead first, then clean out all the copper after.
A gun that leads badly needs work to stop it, better boolit fit or better lube, maybe some bore work. The jacketed bullet is not a cure all. If you shoot 100 of them, it might get all the lead out. I would rather clean it out before it gets ironed into the steel.
I am spoiled because my BFR's will not lead and do not pick up any copper either. I just shot a pile of jacketed and gave the gun the Sweet's treatment. I never got a trace of blue out of the bore, all patches were white.
I am sorry I can't be more help but I just never have the problems I read here all the time.

felix
12-31-2006, 08:28 PM
Actually it is mo'betta' to shoot very low velocity lead boolits. I usually chase hot loads with 5 grains of 700X (or similiar) with a standard 250 (no gas check design) in the 44 maggies. 5 or 6 rounds usually makes the barrel perfect for me. ... felix