PDA

View Full Version : Semi load of lead?

44fanatic
06-09-2011, 09:23 AM
http://i807.photobucket.com/albums/yy353/44fanatic/Photo0336.jpg

On my way to Nashville yesterday, passed this semi, them let him pass me then passed it again to get pictures...Crazy what us lead collectors do.

32 "ingots" on the truck. Thinking that they weighed at least 4 tons (conservative guess) each, which would put the load at over 120 tons. After doing the math and looking at loads for semi's, I am thinking they are not lead.
SEB is the marking on the ingot. Found some information for a company in China that does some metal work.

If they are lead and weigh at least 4 tons each thats close to 7.5 million 240gr boolits I was looking at, probably more.

Reloader06
06-09-2011, 09:27 AM
Probably aluminium. Just a SWAG.

Matt

Guesser
06-09-2011, 09:31 AM
I'm thinking they are probably aluminum. I've watched aluminum castings from a major salvage yard melt and pour aluminum into large castings like that, similar anyway, and that was the way they were loaded. I've seen lead done also but in much smaller castings because of the weight and size. Just guessing here, HHMMMM, where did that come from????

357 Voodoo
06-09-2011, 09:38 AM
its aluminum and each pig weights about a thousand pounds. the foundry my dad works at just received a load just like that last week. if it were lead than the truck would have mabe a third as much

fatelk
06-09-2011, 09:40 AM
Wishful thinking, huh? I think that much lead would be a serious overload for a semi.

On the other hand, how many of us have dreams of a truck like that pulling up in the driveway to make a delivery?:)

Beagler
06-09-2011, 10:26 AM
I say alum to. All our lead deliveries have to come in a box truck. And they are single stack piles of pigs right up the center of the trailor. Our big sow ingots are about 30 by 30 by24 and weigh a little over 2 tons. We melt down the sows and pig them out

Longwood
06-09-2011, 10:55 AM
The foundry and smelter people call those, "Pigs".

Echo
06-09-2011, 10:58 AM
I don't think one of those ingots would fit in my old SAECO...

geargnasher
06-09-2011, 10:32 PM
If they were lead, DOT would $#!% a brick! That would be not only about four times the legal weight limit for 18 tires on the ground, but would be a major safety problem since the inertia of that much mass wouldn't begin to be contained by those straps during emergency braking.

Gear

TCLouis
06-09-2011, 11:39 PM
NO probably to it, they are Aluminum.

But think about the size of the muffin tin they used to cast em.

theperfessor
06-10-2011, 12:30 AM
There is an Alcoa operation just a couple miles from our gun club. I heard a story that years ago they used to ship molten aluminum in insulated vessels shaped like large flat drum to a local foundry that would reheat and pour the aluminum. Apparently they saved a lot of money that way but the timing was critical. One day one of the semis slid off the road and ended up sideways in a ditch. By the time they got it righted the aluminum had frozen in the container in a way that would make it very difficult to remelt to remove, so they paid a local farmer to allow them to dig a large deep hole on the edge of a field and they buried the whole thing and covered it up. Somewhere in southern Indiana there is 20 tons of virgin aluminum buried in a pit.

At least that's the story I heard...

Another time I consulted on a job of converting a chain saw to hydraulic power to cut apart aluminum ingots. The magnetic fields in the room from all the transformers and coils used to refine aluminum were so strong that a spark ignition engine wouldn't work.

Houndog
06-10-2011, 09:04 AM
That's DEFINATELY NOT Lead!!!! It's Aluminum. More than likely that was a metal transfer for ALCOA from it's plant in Warrick Indiana to it's plant in ALCOA Tennessee, or vice versa. That used to be a fill-in run for me when freight got slow. A load of Lead pigs will be a single row of pallets about 18 inches high. Most of the time lead pigs are shaped like a wedge and will be placed right down the middle of the trailer between the frame rails.

FWIW: there is a Lead smelting operation just south of Nashville and they ship most of their product on flat bed trailers with sides.

44fanatic
06-10-2011, 09:26 AM
I was wondering how I would load a "lead" ingot that size in my truck without blowing the tires and totally destroying the back end of the truck. Its funny what we think of when we see things out there.

Trey45
06-10-2011, 09:29 AM
How many beer cans is that?

mold maker
06-10-2011, 09:38 AM
More our interest, How many 6 gang molds is that????

44fanatic
06-10-2011, 09:57 AM
How many beer cans is that?

at 0.48 ounces, or to more of our understanding...210gr (209.999)

32 (ingots) x 1000lbs (per ingot) x 7000= 224, 000,000 gr

224,000,000 / 210 = 1,066,667 beer cans

To much coffee this morning, time to clean the garage.

Kskybroom
06-10-2011, 10:21 AM
7.5 million 240gr boolits..
1,066,667 Beer Cans
Yep That last about 3 or 4 Years.......

TCLouis
06-10-2011, 11:58 PM
Houndog

Lead outfit gone from South of Nashville now.

The still ship Molten aluminum in this area with big insulated vessels mounted on a trailer.

Reloader06
06-11-2011, 12:09 AM
Wonder how many gas check that would make??? ALOT!

Houndog
06-11-2011, 07:44 AM
Houndog

Lead outfit gone from South of Nashville now.

The still ship Molten aluminum in this area with big insulated vessels mounted on a trailer.

I hate to hear about the lead smelting operation shuting down. They were good people to do business with. I've been out of trucking about 6 years now and lots of things have changed in that time.

ALCOA has used the large pots for molten Aluminum for eons, but transporting the metal in that fashion is severely limited. If it solidifies, they have a real problem getting it back into it's molten state. ALCOA in Alcoa TN transports metal in the pots from it's smelting operation to the rolling mill and to a lesser extent from Alcoa to the Mahle piston plant in Morristown. That makes me wonder if there is a foundry somewhere around Nashville making transmission cases or some other Aluminum cast product for the car factories.

sav300
06-11-2011, 09:13 AM
See these passing thru town here as we have a smelter just out of town (Kurri Kurri NSW)
Trucked to Newcastle docks for shipment.
Our lead smelter at Cockle Creek was shutdown years ago.

Longwood
06-11-2011, 10:36 AM
Wonder how many gas check that would make??? ALOT!

A heck of a lot more than the load of copper that I saw yesterday. Only four, much smaller piles, and the truck had a full load.

evan price
06-13-2011, 04:08 AM
... One day one of the semis slid off the road and ended up sideways in a ditch. By the time they got it righted the aluminum had frozen in the container in a way that would make it very difficult to remelt to remove, so they paid a local farmer to allow them to dig a large deep hole on the edge of a field and they buried the whole thing and covered it up. Somewhere in southern Indiana there is 20 tons of virgin aluminum buried in a pit...

We had a flatbed TT wreck on the interstate near us and it was hauling steel coils. Chains broke and two of the coils rolled out into a ploughed field about 200 feet or so and then promptly sank. Was too far away & too soft ground to do any sort of rigging with equipment so the transport company paid a crew of guys to take thermal lances and peel it like an onion into rolloff bins. Took a while to do, too.

Longwood
06-13-2011, 04:22 AM
We had a flatbed TT wreck on the interstate near us and it was hauling steel coils. Chains broke and two of the coils rolled out into a ploughed field about 200 feet or so and then promptly sank. Was too far away & too soft ground to do any sort of rigging with equipment so the transport company paid a crew of guys to take thermal lances and peel it like an onion into rolloff bins. Took a while to do, too.

I worked in a nickle smelter in Oregon for a short time. When I was there, a furnace burned a hole in it and spilled molten ore everywhere. The nickle left in the furnace was about three feet thick and 25 feet across. They brought in a crew to cut it up with oxygen fed lances, which was nothing more than a hose and a length of 1/4" black pipe.
It took weeks to cut it into manageable chunks.

Longwood
06-13-2011, 04:29 AM
I worked in a nickle smelter in Oregon for a short time. When I was there, a furnace burned a hole in it and spilled molten ore everywhere. The nickle left in the furnace was about three feet thick and 25 feet across. They brought in a crew to cut it up with oxygen fed lances, which was nothing more than a hose and a length of 1/4" black pipe.
It took weeks to cut it into manageable chunks.

BTW
I know this is the wrong forum but here goes anyway.
That place was where I saw the "Tinsel Fairy" for the first time.
We were adding a slag (flux) to the refining furnace and accidentally tossed in a tiny bit of mud. It lifted a three ton lid up off of the furnace and set it off to the side, and spewed part of the meltl out of the door which painted a wall about 30 feet away with a 1/2" sheet of nickle.

MtGun44
06-13-2011, 05:10 PM
THAT would not be the Tinsel Fairy, but her MUCH meaner grandfather the Nickle Genie!

If you think a visit from the Tinsel Fairy is bad, you don't ever want to conjure up
the Nickle Genie!

Bill

Reloader06
06-13-2011, 07:15 PM
Copy that!!!

Matt

Lead guy
06-13-2011, 09:56 PM
Here's a pallet of lead from a local company that galvanizes. 1 "pig" wieghs 250 lbs from what the guy says. That pallet weighs alot!

http://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/aa341/LeadGuy45/leadingot.jpg

Longwood
06-13-2011, 10:17 PM
THAT would not be the Tinsel Fairy, but her MUCH meaner grandfather the Nickle Genie!

If you think a visit from the Tinsel Fairy is bad, you don't ever want to conjure up
the Nickle Genie!

Bill

You got that right!
It was about 2850 degrees. We figure over 400 lbs came out of the 2' X 2' door.

Missoulaz28
06-14-2011, 03:20 AM
I saw a truck go through town here with a couple solid bars of TI. 36" round by 15' long give or take. I wonder what that would be worth?

frkelly74
06-14-2011, 09:30 AM
I hauled about 40,000 lb of lead to the battery plant at Holland Ohio once. It was a two rows of ingots down the center of the 53' trailer about a foot high held in place with 2X4's nailed to the floor. There was very little of the trailer space taken up by the lead but it was about all that could be hauled legally.

evan price
06-15-2011, 06:32 AM
BTW
I know this is the wrong forum but here goes anyway.
That place was where I saw the "Tinsel Fairy" for the first time.
We were adding a slag (flux) to the refining furnace and accidentally tossed in a tiny bit of mud. It lifted a three ton lid up off of the furnace and set it off to the side, and spewed part of the meltl out of the door which painted a wall about 30 feet away with a 1/2" sheet of nickle.

I was installing some robots at a plant that cast intake manifolds and engine brackets for several well-known automakers. They had shaker conveyors under the floor that transport the cut-off sprue and trimmings & such back to the furnace for remelt. The shakers were two layers, the top was floored in grating so the sand would sift out and that got dumped in a dumpster behind the furnace. The shakers dumped into an auto-hopper that would be periodically charged with more AL ingots and then dumped in the furnace.

Due to the hot and dirty plant environment they allowed the workers to have drinks at their stations. One specific worker was in the habit of carrying a can of soft drink to her station. After the incident, it turned out that she was an environmentalist who would place her empty soft drink cans into the aluminum shaker conveyor to be recycled. Who knows how many times she did this, but one day she had half finished her soda and put the can in the shaker. Maybe she did this a lot and the can normally by the action of the shaker wound up empty. This one day the part-full can of soda wound up getting charged to the smelting furnace. The explosion blew most of the roof and rear of the plant apart and destroyed the smelting furnace. The holding furnace was also damaged and had to have all the refractory lining replaced. Luckily nobody was killed and injuries were not as bad as they could be due to automation and safety practices. There were cars in the parking lot that got a nice aluminum skin. The plant was shut down for a period of time for repairs. After that drinks were only allowed to be brought in to the plant in plastic containers such as bike bottles and it was forbidden to add anything to the scrap line.

hiram1
07-11-2011, 10:28 PM
it is zink from jmz there in clarksville tenn

home in oz
07-15-2011, 09:07 PM
AL not PB.

That many PB ingots would have overloaded the truck, I imagine.

44fanatic
07-16-2011, 07:09 AM
it is zink from jmz there in clarksville tenn

Completely forgot about the zinc plant on the other side of the river. Drive by it either on the way to range, or a few fishing/hunting trips each year.

Phat Man Mike
07-18-2011, 10:10 PM
I've hauled copper like the pic's above and some Aluminum too. but the pure brass I loaded in down town LA was one of the worst. they made me tarp the scrap stuff to keep theft down. weighed my load in and out of the plant. I also work for a place and we took ovens to Alcoa to pre heat the scrap to remove any moisture because of the soda can from the post above..

Freightman
07-20-2011, 10:42 AM
I picked up a 10,000# load of silver from ASARCO years ago three pallets in the nose of a Pup trailer, then we built a wall and filled the rest of the trailer with Levies. Wonder what a load of 10,000# of silver and 10,000# levies are worth?

odinohi
07-20-2011, 08:26 PM
If that load is 120 in Ohio our state weighman would be in heaven. I've been pulled over twice in two weeks thinking I was overweight. Funny thing is, most of the quarrys in our area only let you leave the yard if your legal. These weighmen are like the lonley Maytag repairmen. Cool pic though. Been working on the Ohio Turnpike 80/90 and been seeing alot of those loads.

Tom