PDA

View Full Version : I reload like a granny, or "rules to load by".

Canuck Bob
06-09-2011, 12:42 AM
This struck me like an interesting thread from something on another forum.

I reload like a granny due to some rules I never break. I'm a greenhorn and realize the old pros will find this awfuly simplistic and lacking flexibility for a high volume loader.

All loads are 55% case capacity minimum. If I double charge the case must overflow. This one is never broken.

I never load to manual max loads and rarely get past half way from starting to full loads listed before I'm satisfied with accuracy or ditch the powder if it won't shoot.

Different primer types come from different manufacturers so I can look at a primed case and know if it is a magnum or standard rifle primer.

I use only specific bullets for hunting and never load those bullets in anything but a single worked up load. I missed my only true trophy buck trying to shoot him with a rabbit load.

The only fast powder I'll use is Trail Boss as it is safe to 100% capacty to bullet base in anything I shoot.

Have never owned a powder measure, every charge is weighed. If I loaded real volumes of ammo this would be impossible. It does work for me though.

Issues of cost never overule safety.

Anyone else want to admit to some granny rules that I can add to my list?

a.squibload
06-09-2011, 01:16 AM
Well, I use a powder dumper BUT
I only put powder in the case that's going in the press to be seated.
I used to weigh every third one but the dumper is very consistent.

XWrench3
06-09-2011, 07:49 AM
CASE PREP! i always check every rifle case after sizing, for propper length. if it is more than 0.002" over the trim to length, i cut it again. i also clean every primer pocket every time, after tumbling, i also wash all the cases to get any residual powder from tumbling off from them, and let them dry before continuing in the reloading process. the way i see it is case prep is one area that i have total control over. and if you are going to try to load for accuracy, you need to start off with proper cases.

Bwana
06-09-2011, 08:08 AM
One of my favorite movie lines, "A man's got to know his limitations."

That's the nice thing about reloading, it is what you make it.

JonB_in_Glencoe
06-09-2011, 08:56 AM
Wow, I don't use any of the guidelines specified in the OP :shock:
I guess I reload like a... ?

Besides close inspection of cases and the needed case prep,
the only thing I can think of that slows me down while loading
on a auto-indexing turret press is a visual inspection of powder
level of each case. I always weigh the first five powder throws
on both a electronic scale and double checked on a beam scale.
then I'll check periodically the powder throws throughout the process,
probably every 100 rounds for pistol, more often for rifle...depends on the batch size.

Oh, another 5 seconds per round is spent visually inspecting each finished round:
looking for cracked case,properly seated bullet/boolit, correct primer seating...or anything else.
Jon

Canuck Bob
06-09-2011, 11:36 AM
JonB, please don't think of my granny rules as offered guidelines. I do not think folks who load differently are in anyway foolhardy or wrong. Me offering guidelines to this group would be foolhardy.

If I wanted to use small loads there is a ton of good techniques posted on here to do it safely. I am considering getting up to speed on safe powder measure techniques soon as an example.

Just looking into other's appraches to loading, particularly safety concerns.

Added a rule already, confrm cartridge OAL after sizing.

edler7
06-09-2011, 11:40 AM
A case doesn't go into the loading block until it has powder in it.

EVERY powder charge for a rifle gets weighed.

Load data gets checked, rechecked and checked again.

Le Loup Solitaire
06-09-2011, 11:53 AM
There is nothing wrong with doing things slowly, systematically or safely. It seems to be preferable to the opposites of those words. Phil Sharpe wrote long ago, "If you're that much in a hurry then go buy the ammo". and last, but not least, Keep your mind on what you're doing when you're doing it. LLS

Jim
06-09-2011, 11:58 AM
Absolutely!!

Larry Gibson
06-09-2011, 11:59 AM
Nope, nothing wrong with Canuck's rules for his own loading, he's got his and I've got mine. The key to the safety of such is to always abide by them. I've got mine but the only one in common so far is ;

Issues of cost never overule safety.

Larry Gibson

Canuck Bob
06-09-2011, 12:12 PM
Thanks Larry, I consider myself a greenhorn as I once loaded a lot but quit for too long. Rules are good for greenhorns.

I use my rules to make common sense common at my bench. If I progess to a point of breaking a rule because my needs changed or I want to advance to a new level it sets off a little warning. Helps me to take that change seriously. These forums really help because serious advice is available to almost everyone anywhere. Also ones needs dictate as well. I shoot 3 centerfire rifles and no handguns. If I was burning a 1000+ pistol rounds a month things would have to change.

Von Gruff
06-09-2011, 02:08 PM
When I started handloading many, many years ago I had a Lee loader with dippers so my powder was in a glass to dip from. I have never got past that and now even with powder throwers I first throw into a shot glass put my funnel on the case in the loading block and put the powder in. Throw another charge into my glass shift the funnel and repeat. Charge cases, check with strong flash light then seat boolits. Every case gets the full check over every time, but then I do it because I enjoy the process of handloading as much as casting and shooting. Sometimes I am not sure which process drives the other two.

:lovebooli

Von Gruff.

wiljen
06-09-2011, 02:20 PM
One of my big rules if I am going to load is if I have anything else on my mind, I take care of it first. This way I am not distracted during the process.

When I get ready to start loading, everything else goes off the bench and the door gets locked.

I never have more than 1 powder on the bench and the can for that powder stays behind the measure until the measure is emptied.

If, I need to take a break, I write down all the details of the session first. (I've found things slip if I wait).

sh00ter787
06-09-2011, 02:44 PM
apart from ones mentioned...
no boolits get put in the cases until the row of charged cases get my led torch shone into them to check that the powder levels are all the same

cbrick
06-09-2011, 02:52 PM
When I get ready to start loading, everything else goes off the bench and the door gets locked.

I never have more than 1 powder on the bench and the can for that powder stays behind the measure until the measure is emptied.

These are hard and fast rules for me as well. Well, I don't lock the door.

There is never, never, never more than one can of powder out of my powder locker at a time. Period. One. If there is a can of powder out of the locker it is on the loading bench and NEVER anyplace else. I will not, cannot even get the brass out for another cartridge until that powder is properly put away. Same exact thing goes for primers, the box is on the bench with the load being assembled and there is only one primer type out, just like the powder.

Agreed also that price and safety are two completely different things. If I cannot afford it or have to scimp on anything handloading the solution/answer is really simple. I either wait until I can afford it or never do it. This is especially true concerning powder.

Rick

dverna
06-09-2011, 02:57 PM
You have never shot a lot of pistol or many of your "rules" would prove limiting.

I use a totally different approach to rifle and pistol reloading. I go from "granny" mode to production mode as needed. It is not uncommon for me to turn out 2000 rounds in one session - so granny reloading is inappropriate. High pressure shotgun hunting loads are done in "granny mode" but trap loads are done in production mode.

I prefer to use "guidelines" and a few rules. One HUGE rule is to have only one powder, bullet, and primer type on the bench at a time. Rules are NEVER compromised.

Guidelines are more flexible. I should tumble cases before loading but do not always do so. Trim length is important for accuracy and pressure loads but not important for plinking low pressure rounds. Segregating by case manufacturer and number of times fired is "nice to do" but not needed for blasting ammo - MUST do for accuracy loads in rifles.

As a result I have a number of machines that have a place in fulfilling my needs. At the metallic "low" end I use a Bonanza Co-Ax and, for production a couple of Dillon 1050's. for shotshells, a MEC Sizemaster at one end and a hydraulic drive Spolar for production runs. I could live with two or three machines but have 10.

Granny mode is all many people need. It is not suitable for those who shoot a lot and/or compete.

Don

1Shirt
06-09-2011, 03:11 PM
Nothing wrong with Canuck's rules. They work for him, and that's what counts for him.
1Shirt!:coffee:

tommygirlMT
06-09-2011, 03:51 PM
No smoking while reloading --- and only limited adult beverages while reloading

Didnt used to be my rules but my man caught me doing both once while loading BP and about went into orbit and went total cave man on me --- lets just say he protects me from myself some times

oscarflytyer
06-09-2011, 04:01 PM
I load pistol - so I DO use a powder measure. I ALWAYS fill the measure and set the canister on the reloading table so I KNOW exactly what powder I have in the measure.

I always pull the handle the same ( up and down - double bump) for evey drop. Also drop at least 4 drops and recycle before I measure a drop for weight, to guarantee the powder is always compressed in the measure the same way.

measure the first, middle and last weights on pistol. Sometimes every 10th rnd. For rilfe, I typically measure every powder charge.

Always check my pistol cases for dbl - or NO! - charge.

As I do each step of the process (case prep and priming, etc) flip the cases over in the block. Exception is once charged with powder. Then I do the light check, then set a bullet on each case so I don't bump one or otherwise disturb (or drop extra) powder into the case.

Always hand seat my primers.

Spot check COAL with a mic as I am loading.

Don't load with anything else on my mind.

wiljen
06-09-2011, 04:36 PM
I load all kinds of stuff and do have 2 progressive reloaders. Still, my rules are there for a reason and I'd rather sacrifice some speed as make an error that puts anyone at risk. My wife and kids shoot my loads too so it might not be me that I hurt.

Centaur 1
06-09-2011, 07:31 PM
The most important rule is to not stray from whatever technique works for you. If you do try something new, slow down and think.

1874Sharps
06-09-2011, 07:42 PM
Bwana,

Yes, I like your quote: "A man has got to know his limitations." I believe these famous words were uttered by one of the great philosophers of the last century -- a man by the name of Dirty Harry.

303Guy
06-09-2011, 07:58 PM
"A man has got to know his limitations." Absolutely!

This thread should be a sticky (for what my opinion may be worth).

I've strayed from my own rules and had near mishaps! I'm also revisiting my safety practices and taking in safety practices put forward right here.

Canuck Bob
06-09-2011, 09:25 PM
I have learned already that my bench habits suck. I have 3 powders on it right now! I chat on the phone while loading! How come common sense is so darn uncommon.

New rules- active powder only on bench at any time.

When Daddies loading no visits and no phone calls.

Wayne Smith
06-10-2011, 07:19 AM
Well, I use a powder dumper BUT
I only put powder in the case that's going in the press to be seated.
I used to weigh every third one but the dumper is very consistent.

Yeah, I thought so too until I started using SR4759. It bridges in EVERY measure I have (that's 5) except the B&M! Different powders function differently in measures. When using a long stick powder (eg. IMR4064) I end up weighing every charge and topping off the scale pan to get my charge. I haven't tried that one with the B&M. Need to get some more, I have hopes.

turbo1889
06-10-2011, 07:20 AM
What mainly keeps me out of trouble is my near complete insistence on the use of a turret press(es) and/or multiple single stage presses. At first that may sound exactly opposite of what one would think, but I set everything up so that I take one case at a time and take it through the loading process all the way to completion before I move on to the next one.

I have had a couple near misses with using the batch method instead where I figured out I had goofed up and had to correct it all due to trying to load doing each different operation of the loading process to a batch of cases like commonly done with a single single-stage press and a loading block.

If I only handle one shell at a time and take it through the entire loading process before moving on to the next one I don't seem to have the problems I have had trying to do it with the batch methodology. I will do case prep as a separate operation and prep a whole batch of cases (de-prime/size/trim/clean) but I don't do the actual loading (prime/powder-charge(s)/filler(if used)/boolit/crimp) in a batch set-up. No, that happens one case at a time all the way through the process before starting on the next one.

This also makes it very easy to deal with distractions, side issues, and breaks. Just finish the case I am loading to completion and then I can break my concentration.

1874Sharps
06-10-2011, 08:59 AM
There is a technique an old Border Patrolman (an associate of my father's and all around great guy) taught me back in the 70s that I have adopted ever since for loading pistol (or light rifle loads that are loaded to less than 50% case capacity). I take the primed, flared brass one at a time, use it horizontally to level off the powder scoop, place it in the press and then place the boolit on top and seat it. Also, I have only the powder in use on top of the bench. This method allows only one charged case to be handled and loaded at a time and has prevented me from getting a squib load or double charge all these decades. Last week I did catch myself, however, using Bullseye instead of Unique when loading 45 Colt. I wound up pulling about 30 boolits and thanked God for jarring my brain off of auto pilot. I have found no absolute cure for this, except to try and make it a point to check and confirm every aspect a time or two while loading a box. Complacency is the enemy!

JonB_in_Glencoe
06-10-2011, 09:58 AM
Canuck Bob,
Yes, I misunderstood your OP...Sorry abou that.
after I re-read the OP, then the rest of the posts in this thread,
I have to say, "turbo1889" gave the Advice I agree with most.
Jon

What mainly keeps me out of trouble is my near complete insistence on the use of a turret press(es) and/or multiple single stage presses. At first that may sound exactly opposite of what one would think, but I set everything up so that I take one case at a time and take it through the loading process all the way to completion before I move on to the next one.

I have had a couple near misses with using the batch method instead where I figured out I had goofed up and had to correct it all due to trying to load doing each different operation of the loading process to a batch of cases like commonly done with a single single-stage press and a loading block.

If I only handle one shell at a time and take it through the entire loading process before moving on to the next one I don't seem to have the problems I have had trying to do it with the batch methodology. I will do case prep as a separate operation and prep a whole batch of cases (de-prime/size/trim/clean) but I don't do the actual loading (prime/powder-charge(s)/filler(if used)/boolit/crimp) in a batch set-up. No, that happens one case at a time all the way through the process before starting on the next one.

This also makes it very easy to deal with distractions, side issues, and breaks. Just finish the case I am loading to completion and then I can break my concentration.

cbrick
06-10-2011, 10:12 AM
Yeah, I thought so too until I started using SR4759. It bridges in EVERY measure I have.

Yep, 4759 is the reason I bought the RCBS ChargeMaster. This powder (and some other stick powders) meters through a measure very poory. The ChargeMaster is slower than a measure but I get no half charges and the next round getting a 1 1/2 charge because of bridging. Anymore the powder measure is used only for ball powders.

Rick

Leadmelter
06-12-2011, 02:57 PM
I put masking tape on the powder charger with the type of powder and the load. That way if I am interupted or distracted, I know what is going on. Can't rely on memory.

Gerry

Boolseye
06-12-2011, 06:29 PM
All loads are 55% case capacity minimum. If I double charge the case must overflow. This one is never broken.

Hmmm...that would eliminate too many of my favorite powders and loads.
Might as well chuck my Bullseye! I weigh my charges alot and go slow.

Have never owned a powder measure, every charge is weighed. If I loaded real volumes of ammo this would be impossible. It does work for me though.

yeeks! don't part me from my Redding!!

One thing that I do like is using a dowel with a mark on it when charging rifle cases with light loads of fast-burning powder (say, Unique in a .308 for light cast loads). After they're all charged and on the block, run it into each case mouth and make sure you haven't double charged. That did save me one time.

This is a good thread, though, and I read it with some relief. I reload, cast and shoot like a granny, 'cause that's what makes it fun for me. Safety, precision, accuracy and quality, with safety always first. Thanks for posting!

nes4ever69
06-12-2011, 06:36 PM
i have my progessive press only for the fact that i bought a large amount of once fired brass and single stage press just was not going to go over well with over 1500 peices of brass plus the empties from what i have shot. and my plinking loads shoot great with out extra work.

every thing else, slow and steady doesnt blow up a gun. rifle, charge case, seat bullet. if something doesnt look right, dump powder from case and redo. yes i have had double charges but thats also were if it doesnt look right start over. shoot, if it is questionable start over on powder.

303Guy
06-12-2011, 11:56 PM
Yup. Someone has to blead - sometimes die - for a safety rule to be written.

I've adopted the principal that no unpowdered case stand upright in the tray and powdered case goes anywhere without first being stood mouth up in the tray and then a light being shown down and the charge inspected. For me that's especially important as I load many single cartridges. Powder in - case stunds upright in tray, light shone down it and then only does it get picked up for the next operation. I'm getting used to that habit now. With my absentmindedness I simply have to be rigid about safety rules.:roll: Ummm .... What was I saying?:mrgreen:

Longwood
06-13-2011, 01:44 AM
Yep, 4759 is the reason I bought the RCBS ChargeMaster. This powder (and some other stick powders) meters through a measure very poory. The ChargeMaster is slower than a measure but I get no half charges and the next round getting a 1 1/2 charge because of bridging. Anymore the powder measure is used only for ball powders.

Rick

How fast are those chargemasters? I have considered buying one but I hate waiting on things when I have a job to do.

cbrick
06-13-2011, 01:59 AM
My Hornady measure is faster with ball powders, the ChargeMaster is a bit faster with powder like 4759 just because it meters so poorly in the measure.

When the ChargeMaster dispenses a charge I funnel it into the case, while the ChargeMaster is doing the next charge I seat the bullet in one press and then if needed crimp in another press. Sometimes I wait a bit for the next charge, somethimes the ChargeMaster waits on me.

So it is a little slower but tough to measure powders are all weighed and the unit has a counter, when I finish an MTM ammo box of 100 the counter had better say 100. So I also use it with small charges of fast powders that could otherwise become a double charge. Once 100 rounds are finished if the counter said 102 . . . Oops.

The new models are a little faster than the originals which is where their reputation as being slow came from. I like it, it takes a lot of the frustration out of measuring powders like 4759. A bit slower but uniform and safe.

Rick

Longwood
06-13-2011, 02:26 AM
I have a progressive that I use for pistol rounds.
For loading 45-70 - the only rifle round I load these days. I had a Rockchucker and decided to use it for sizing and get three of the cheapest presses I could find to do the rest of the job. I have them - and the other necessary items - mounted in a row on a 2X10 that I temporarily clamp to my bench (I plan on making the 2X10 into a separate, and permanent, narrow bench) then use them like a progressive.
Pop the primer while sizing, clean pocket, seat new primer, flare case, add powder then seat bullet. The three little presses cost me $19.95 each so I did not have to spend very much.
Yea I know,,, that's only three but I may need the third down the road to crimp with.
Lots of handle pulling, but no more than doing it with a single stage.

Longwood
06-13-2011, 02:40 AM
My Hornady measure is faster with ball powders, the ChargeMaster is a bit faster with powder like 4759 just because it meters so poorly in the measure.

When the ChargeMaster dispenses a charge I funnel it into the case, while the ChargeMaster is doing the next charge I seat the bullet in one press and then if needed crimp in another press. Sometimes I wait a bit for the next charge, somethimes the ChargeMaster waits on me.

So it is a little slower but tough to measure powders are all weighed and the unit has a counter, when I finish an MTM ammo box of 100 the counter had better say 100. So I also use it with small charges of fast powders that could otherwise become a double charge. Once 100 rounds are finished if the counter said 102 . . . Oops.

The new models are a little faster than the originals which is where their reputation as being slow came from. I like it, it takes a lot of the frustration out of measuring powders like 4759. A bit slower but uniform and safe.

Rick

Thanks for the thoughtful reply Rick.
I do want to try 4759 in the future.
The photos I can find are not the best. Could you/I use a little funnel (I have a lathe) and let it charge a rifle case directly, using a thin digital scale, or is it electronically connected to the RCBS scale in order to shut off when the pre-set weight is met?

Longwood
06-13-2011, 02:56 AM
When I started handloading many, many years ago

Von Gruff.

Was that when you started that fine looking beard?
I quit wearing out my face (it was wearing out fast enough without me scraping it with a razor everyday) in 1974. Two years after I started reloading. I keep trimming it though so it don't look like yours.
Beard, reloading they both grow on ya, huh?

63 Shiloh
06-13-2011, 04:17 AM
When working up a max load, I always check the data from at least two reliable manuals.

Also with max loads, only use one batch of cases, example is the 45-70. Remington brass has less capacity, about 4.4gns than WW.

Mike

Boolseye
06-13-2011, 11:07 PM
had a couple more thoughts. One is that this may be the most important thread (IMHO) on the whole forum. Losing fingers, eyes, ears or lives can really turn you off to a passion.

I weigh to a fault. I zero my scale sometimes twice or three times in a single session. I look over each round before I put them into the ammo box, sometimes twice or three times. I stop, regularly, perhaps just to enjoy the contours of a well-assembled cartridge. I give each round it's due measure of respect–my life, or the life of another, could depend on it.

The reloading bench, IMO, is not the place for multi-tasking. I keep my bench clean and tidy. I only have one canister of powder at the bench at a time. I limit my focus to the load and caliber of the moment, and proceed in an orderly and methodical way. I never rush...it is simply not worth it, here of all places. I may brush my teeth in a rush. I may feed my cat in a hurry, but I will not speed through those 50 rounds in order to get to the range by 10. I only go as fast as my wits and equipment will allow. I use an RCBS turret press, which is as much speed as I need.

I'll keep posting to this thread as I have more thoughts on this very important topic.

I wash my hands after reloading too, especially before I eat anything. I use lava or fast orange to get the lead out.

Char-Gar
06-14-2011, 10:23 AM
Such rules are prudent. However the type of equipment plays a role. If a progressive press is used,the 55% rule makes sense. If the loading tools allow for a visual inspection of the charged cases, then this rule doesn't make sense. It would be an unnecessary restriction on loading.

Canuck Bob
06-14-2011, 04:07 PM
Chargar, you make a lot of sense. My experience is from a pretty simple tool and goal point. It was easy to follow my rules because my needs were simple, hunting and hunting practice loads for 2-3 rifles and a 45 ACP Colt Series 70.

This thread and some others regarding small capacity loads will eventually lead me to that procedure. Right now I'm just getting started again and will get some longer term reloading time in before trying the new stuff.

My other passion is loading cheap. My 55% rule is costly in powder with even medium size rifle cases. With my 32-20 I can stretch a pound of Unique to a 1000+ rounds. I'll try some Trail Boss first to see if it gives good performance.

As usual the posts are refinforcing the best rules. Use the brains given you and learn from others.

Char-Gar
06-14-2011, 04:19 PM
Canuck.. Thought out rules that lead to ,are a very,very good thing. As I go about this and other boards I read way to many accounts of firearms being blown to bits by careless reloading.

I have a rule, that I don't seat a bullet in a charged case that I have not visually checked or gauged for a proper powder charge Therefore I don't use progressive loading presses.

With this rule I am not limited to 55% case capacity to be 100% safe.