PDA

View Full Version : Mauser 71/84

Pieter C. Voss
06-08-2011, 11:20 PM
Need recommendations for starting loads with the Lyman 340g bullet. I ordered 20 Bertram cases from Midway--commentaries from purchasers seem to concur that annealing of the brass is necessary before loading--I'll certainly comply if it prevents splits or cracks in those $3 + cases! What's the best way to go about it?

looseprojectile
06-09-2011, 11:56 AM
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/archive/index.php/t-12845.html

This is #280 of several pages. I have the URL on my favorites.
If you are just asking about annealing case necks I can help with that too.
What part of annealing do you need help with?

Life is good

leadman
06-09-2011, 12:58 PM
I use 20grs of 2400 in my model 71 with the same bullet. No filler, works pretty good with an occassional flyer.
My bore is .457" but the largest bullet the chamber will accept in the case is .450" so I cast a soft bullet and load it to the base band only so it is in the rifling.
I have use black powder for my initial test loads and it also did well.
There is an article in Handloader #217, June 2002 written by Ross Seyfried that has good info in it.

Pieter C. Voss
06-09-2011, 07:01 PM
Loose--I have never annealed for any cartridge but have read about various methods. Such as holding the case and rotating it while heating the neck or heating the necks in a dimly lit room until they're a dull red etc. What's your procedure?

looseprojectile
06-10-2011, 04:05 PM
And a process that is very argumentative.
I use the method of holding the base in my fingers while turning and heating the mouth/neck/shoulder with a propane torch. I do this in a bright light and when I see a slight blue color I place that one on the bench and grab another and do the same. A different cadence will be required for large, small, thick, thin cases.
There is no possibility of annealing the base of the case using this method without seriously burning your fingers.
I am seeing way more over annealed cases than under annealed or done just right cases. I think I know what is right.
But who am I to judge?

Life is good

leadman
06-11-2011, 05:42 PM
I have annealed some cases. The last cases for my Nagant revolver I got tooo soft.

Hornady sells a paste that turns color at the correct temperature. This can also probably be purchased at a welding supply store if you know what temp you want.

Good Cheer
06-12-2011, 09:48 AM
I have used Bertram brass making 9.5x51R on the "A" base.
Annealing with a propane torch with the cases base down in a pan of water worked well. Tipped the cases over into the water when the neck got dull reddish. You can get it as soft as you like; trial and error.

Japlmg
06-12-2011, 11:47 AM
You can safely use 45-70 Trapdoor load data in the 43 Mauser.
But remember, Trapdoor loads only.
Gregg