PDA

View Full Version : New/Old 98/22

Freightman
12-31-2006, 10:48 AM
It is the one on top, I plan to shoot only cast from it. I got it in a deal for posting some guns on Gunbroker from a friend who can't/will not try to use a computer. The rest of the guns are ones I traded for this week because of bieng shut in due to ice and snow, I think the 22 is a Bulgarian, the 1911 type is a Ballaster, and the modern is a Taurus 605. It has been a good week.

Ricochet
12-31-2006, 05:04 PM
That's great, Freightman!

I have a 98/22, and it's a fine shooter.

They were made by the Czechoslovakians beginning in 1922, on production equipment and initially using leftover Gewehr 98 parts from the Mauser Werke plant. As those ran out, they slightly modified the G98 design with a tangent sight and stock with no finger grooves. It's essentially identical to the M1912 Mexican Mauser. The Czechs soon decided to switch to the shorter Vz.23 and Vz.24 rifles, selling off all of their 98/22s to Turkey. They later made more on contract for Turkey, and reportedly for China as well. The ones we have are all Turkish surplus. There were no more than 60,000 of these originally. Sadly, many of them have been cut up to make custom rifles. I like 'em like they are!

mozark
01-05-2007, 08:37 AM
I too have a Turk contract 98-22. Fine rifle to shoot. Mine must have been issued in an arid part of Turkey. There is no rust, or any sign that there ever has been anywhere on the rifle, and it certainly saw a long service life. The exposed metal is very worn almost polished, with perhaps 5% blue above the wood-line, but 100% perfect blue below. In spite of a well worn bore and crown she's very accurate. The long sight radius and v notch sights are a pleasure.

MM