PDA

View Full Version : First ever booliter paper patch summer invitational.....

redneckdan
06-08-2011, 04:17 PM
.....or something like that......

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?p=1296359#post1296359

303Guy
06-08-2011, 08:45 PM
I'm in! :redneck:

So I went and got my pride and joy and started cleaning her up. Had a slight heart stoppage when I discovered 'rust' in the bore! Anyway, I've fire-lapped her and given her a few bore polishing shots and she's looking good. I've found the boolit mold I can use as well as the sizing dies specific to her. I'll be entering her as well as my pig gun - either one could end up embarrassing me but it's all part of the fun.[smilie=l:

redneckdan
06-08-2011, 09:44 PM
Yup. I am planning on using my 375 H&H with full snort hunting loads.

barrabruce
06-08-2011, 09:59 PM
Six months is a long time to wait and I'll probably forget its on.

I'll have a go and make a fool of myself.

The only thing I need is a brave/stupid enough person to hold the big funnel over the bullesye when I let 'er rip.

Please not 50 yrds/ metres Make it 100 200 or 300 yds.
With luck and a big enough Target I could hit it occasionally.

Barra

Barra

303Guy
06-08-2011, 10:30 PM
Please not 50 yrds/ metres Make it 100 200 or 300 yds.Yeah. I'd like the longer ranges too. Might be more challenging and not everyone has ready access to longer ranges.

redneckdan
06-08-2011, 10:45 PM
Six months is a long time to wait and I'll probably forget its on.

Only a month and a half, End of July 2011. We could even make it the end of this month and have another match before the end of the summer with improvements/insight from how this match goes.

How about this, iron sight course is Standing/Sitting at 50yds and prone at 100yds.

Any sight course is Standing/Sitting at 100yds and prone at 200yds.

Remember this ain't bench shooting. Thinking hunting from field positions.

Canuck Bob
06-09-2011, 01:01 AM
My LE No.5 is here this week. I'm in for iron sights and best large group prize!

303Guy
06-09-2011, 02:06 AM
Aah yes! I have a No4 with its original iron sights. That will be a must!

I've cast my first samples of boolits for the 1902 LE I*. I've worked up a preliminary load. The Pig Gun is all set. The No4 is an untested beast but has a similar throat to the 1902 (the 1902 has a No4 barrel on it).

barrabruce
06-09-2011, 07:09 AM
Spent al the arvo sizing bullets patching and loading.
Iv'e got some "new" full length sized annealed assorted range brass to brake in .

By the look at my work I got buckleys!!!
I did toss a couple of the rougher ones back into the melting pot thou.

Althou I would love minute of blowfly at 500 yrds I just do all this to casual.
See if I can actually hit something this week end shall be fun !!!
I'll be using me 30wcf 30-150-28 loads with me new scope which I will have to re-sight first.

Do we post here or where do we send too.
3 barn doors from OZ ought to cost me some to send over.

Barra

redneckdan
06-09-2011, 12:06 PM
Updated the competition thread.

303Guy
06-09-2011, 07:35 PM
Now I KNOW there are a whole lot more paper patchers over the ditch on your side. This is for the fun and the challenge and so we can test ourselves against a known standard and you fellas can provide that standard. 'Sides, it would be fun to so just how accarate someone can get with paper patching.

What about a 'bench' group catagory to test the paper patch capability?

I've been eyeing out a local 300yd club but these guys use the best equipment. That doesn't stop me from socializing and having a go with PPCBoos. Maybe even plain cast (oops! - that just slipped out!:oops:)

redneckdan
06-09-2011, 08:49 PM
We might look at a bench match in the future. I'm not much of a bench rest shooter but I am sure we can set something up. I think this match is a big enough project at the moment.

MBTcustom
06-09-2011, 09:17 PM
Hey, pp was meant to be shot in a hunting fashion! So I'm fine with the challenge as it was made. I dont know if I will be able to get my PP together in time but I'm going to try! This is going to be a very interesting shoot!

redneckdan
06-09-2011, 09:57 PM
Hey, pp was meant to be shot in a hunting fashion! So I'm fine with the challenge as it was made. I dont know if I will be able to get my PP together in time but I'm going to try! This is going to be a very interesting shoot!

That is pretty much my intent. Sorta simulate field conditions in a way that can be done on a rifle range, somebodys back-forty or a local gravel pit.

Canuck Bob
06-09-2011, 09:57 PM
Well lets see. Never melted a wheel weight, never cast a bullet. Never paper patched anything legal. Pretty well normal preperation for me.

Does it count if I use a commercial cast all lead bullet?

Edit; This has evolved into a team match as well in the finest Creedmore tradition. Commonwealth versus the Yanks. see the original thread

redneckdan
06-09-2011, 11:08 PM
Commercial cast (or swaged) all lead is A-okay.

barrabruce
06-10-2011, 07:30 AM
All I have to do now is hope me wavering and trigger jerk'n line up with what I should be hitting.

Can you lean your back on something with in the sitting position???

(pssssst anyone got one of those straight jacket things the weird 'o looking gun shooters use I could borrow? Don't tell they yanks )

barrabruce
06-15-2011, 08:01 AM
[smilie=b: Broke me flamin firing pin at the range Sunday.
I went from a not bad sting to a blown out smuttering.
Who'd 've thunk it??

Well hope I'm up and running in time to get some targets in.
Bugga

Barra

303Guy
06-15-2011, 09:57 PM
Broke me flamin firing pin at the range Sunday.You only supposed to stick the firing in that little hole on the side of the receiver to brek the firing pin when you get captured![smilie=1:

I found a better use for the hole.

http://i388.photobucket.com/albums/oo327/303Guy/MVC-601F-1.jpg See where the carry cord is attatched?

redneckdan
06-16-2011, 12:08 AM
Nice. Don't feel bad. I'm still having enough trouble just getting around the house. Hopefully I will get out this weekend and shoot some prone and sitting groups. Standing might be a little hard with crutches....not sure they are withing the spirit of the rules either...[smilie=l:

barrabruce
06-19-2011, 04:32 AM
Not that I'm whinging mind you but today I had to go to the range and see if my generator was left there after we were working on getting the roof back on.
So I shot a few PP and plain cast while I was there.

First shot high the the 2-3 beside each other...good t...hen 4-5- ...upteenth bad.
Clean bore and muck around to no avail.
Well least I got the firing pin fitted to the rifle and it works.

Bloody hell there a rattle developed. Started to strip bits off it.:shock::cry::veryconfu
The scope base is loose!!!
Quick tightening up with a borrowed allan key and at least my plain cast shot normal.

Bugga there's 40-50 tester rounds down the gurgler.

I think I will take it off and loctite it back on and try got get 20 M.O.A extra on the base.
I f I can figure out which end needs to be raised or lowered right.
If not I'll have to do it the other way around.:coffeecom

I think Iv'e run out of excuses fella's and althou I'm letting the team down here I'll try and get some thing up soon to post at least.
Barra

303Guy
06-19-2011, 06:57 AM
I've yet to come across a scope base mounted properly on a Lee Enfield! (Besides my own - or rather, those done by me).

I've been testing and developing loads and generally playing around with my molds and I recon I'm getting somewhere with it all. I'm realising (or at least suspecting) that my 1896 SMLE barrelled LE I* is not going to be up to the tast in time but no matter, I will simply use one of my others. The Pig Gun will be featuring of course, for better or worse! Heck - I hope it shoots on paper as well as it does on clay sods! (The odd cow patty has been known to fall victim to the stray aimed shot!)

Hey Bara, we gotta give these yankees a fair head start don't we? [smilie=1:

Oh boy, I think they're gonna whip our butts! :violin:

But no matter, at least we'll get to see what they can do. :drinks:

I still wanna be put up against those BP folks. Not that I would have much chance but still it's a challenge for the future to try to come close to them.:cast_boolits:

redneckdan
06-19-2011, 06:20 PM
I was out the other day with my 375 JDJ contender carbine. Spent 20 rounds chasing the zero around the target. Then I realized the top screws in the scope mount were still loose.:veryconfu We're socked in with rain here for the next 4 days or so. Hope to get out after that.

303Guy
06-19-2011, 06:32 PM
I've got my designated plain cast rifle with me. I sorted out and set up my molds yesterday so now I have the right size boolit for it. Unfortunately I don't have the lid for my test tube as it's getting an addition safety reinforcing. I would have liked to test fire it this morning to check for loading pressures and leading. At least I got the boolit a perfect fit in the throat.

geargnasher
06-19-2011, 07:25 PM
Hmm. I have a Winchester M70 featherweight .270, three 6.5mm moulds, and some notebook paper.... might have to give this a try. Only done it in .30-30 and .45/70 before, and that was long ago.

Count me in RedneckDan.

Gear

redneckdan
06-19-2011, 09:54 PM
awesome, glad to have you aboard. I am hoping to have some targets shot by tomorrow. Just loaded up some stuff for my 45-70 tonight. I will get a new thread up in the competition forum that shows how I would like things posted.

-Dan

ovendoctor
06-19-2011, 09:58 PM
and with iron sites

does that mean that I cant were my reading glasses ?[smilie=1:

Doc. :redneck:

barrabruce
07-09-2011, 07:27 AM
Anyone going to post anything????

I think Iv'e fixed my problems now.
If the weather's not torrential tomorrow I may even hit something and update my embarrassing efforts.

:) :)

Barra

grullaguy
07-09-2011, 02:32 PM
I might join in as well.
I hope I don't drag the team score down by too much.

geargnasher
07-09-2011, 04:34 PM
I'm workin' on it, pant pant pant......

Gera

barrabruce
07-10-2011, 05:31 AM
I'm only in it to embrassess myself into getting better!!!!
Barra

303Guy
07-11-2011, 02:22 PM
I'm emarrasing myself already - I haven't had the time to get out and shoot some targets!:groner:

grullaguy
07-11-2011, 10:03 PM
I am going to pass this match by.
I had another one of those days where I am getting better groupings with my hand gun. I was very impressed with my cast loads in my 9mm so the day wasn't a complete step backwards. I was shooting at 4 litre milk jugs at 100 meters and hitting often enough to feel pretty smug.

For my paper patch endeavors, I have a mold coming to me from the Eastern United States and a sizing die from California. With the backlog in mailing due the recent Canadian postal strike, it is very unlikely I will have any loads done by the end of the month.

I will play next time..

geargnasher
07-11-2011, 11:03 PM
My platoon of lead soldiers loaded and ready for deployment: The LONG range in town is only open one day a month, have to wait two weeks to be able to shoot 200 yards. Hope it works, no second chances here!

(actually, I'm hedging my bet a little, I'm also having good success with my .45/90, Reloder 7, and notebook paper, and it's a LOT easier to hit with it offhand than a Model 70 featherweight! Don't worry, if it does shoot well at distance, I'm going to enter it in the "Scoped" class, since a small aperture tang sight is a bit of an unfair advantage at 50 yards!)

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/imagehosting/thum_89094e1bb95a7d493.jpg (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=1446)

Gear

303Guy
07-12-2011, 06:37 AM
Well, it's off hand sitting shooting (prone too) so its mosly up to our ability to shoot and of course the accuracy of the loads so the sighting won't make that much difference (unless you're a master shottist - in which case I'd be proud to know I was beaten by a master!)http://i388.photobucket.com/albums/oo327/303Guy/webowdown2u.gif

geargnasher
07-12-2011, 02:04 PM
I've done very little offhand shooting at any distance beyond 50 yards, there isn't any practical purpose for it in my world, I make it a policy to never take unrested shots at game much over 30-40 yards, I just don't have the nerves for it. The view through the scope at 100 yards standing is pretty much a joke for me, if I can keep five inside two feet I'll be happy. Sitting isn't any better, even bracing my supporting elbow on one knee and wrapping my arm through the sling. This will truly be a contest of riflemen rather than guns, even a 4-moa load ought to work fine unless you're a skilled shooter!

I was looking at the winning scores from the 2011 Nevada Cast Boolits shoot, the offhand scores were truly remarkable to me, those guys are good.

Gear

303Guy
07-13-2011, 12:25 AM
I used to be a fair shot once - a very long time ago! Free hand too! Now I like a steady rest. Mind you, my little Anschutz 22 hornet fits me so well I wasn't too bad with just a few years ago. I can't cast lead for it - too flippin small - so I put it away. Even so, anything over 40yds or so got a rest of some sort. So I guess, the accuracy of my loads is not going to be a deciding factor. 50yds is already outside my free hand range.[smilie=1:

ktw
07-13-2011, 07:55 AM
50yds is already outside my free hand range.[smilie=1:

1/5th scale, 22lr metallic silhouette is a fantastic offhand practice out to 100 yards, relatively cheap to shoot and a lot of fun as well.

I used to shoot a round or two every week with some co-workers after work. But then we shuffled some employees around, more of us had kids and family responsibilities and we got out of the habit. It's been a few years since we had a match. I have a full set of targets. I need to find someone to shoot it with me regularly again.

-ktw

303Guy
07-14-2011, 02:46 AM
22lr metallic silhouette is where I really learned to shoot. I learned how best to sight a scoped rifle and how to place the cross hairs. Shooting rats with an airgun taught me about kill zones. I shot them by the thousand. But that was a long time ago. Actually, I grew up with a gun in my hands.