PDA

View Full Version : Lee 200gr SWC H&G 68 style

tomme boy
06-08-2011, 01:46 AM
I am looking for reviews of this bullet. It seems that this only comes in a BB. I do not like the BB bullets, but if the bullet shoots good, who cares. Does this bullet have a reputation for shooting well? My 45 seems to not be picky about any bullet it feeds. I have the 230gr TL and it does not shoot well in my gun. It seems to like things lighter. I know Lee is not the best out there but some of their stuff works and some don't. Is this one of the don'ts?

L1A1Rocker
06-08-2011, 03:15 AM
There is currently a Group Buy for a PB #68 clone by Miha that you may be interested in. It is superior to the Lee in every way you could imagine.

edit to add link: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=116811

MikeS
06-08-2011, 06:25 AM
With Lee moulds some of them are good, some not so good. It's not a matter of design, but rather individual moulds. If you read thru some posts here you will see the methods of fixing up a Lee mould. Or if you get one that has problems, you could contact Lee, usually they'll fix it without giving you a hassle about it. I have several Lee moulds, and only had one that really gave me trouble, so I got rid of it. The new owner tells me that he figured out how to make it work good. The others work well, but they're more temperamental than other moulds, but that's just because they're made of aluminium which conducts heat differently than iron or brass (2 other common mould materials).

As for the design, it's a clone of the H&G #68 one of the best & most popular boolits for target shooting! As somebody else mentioned there's a group buy for another clone of the H&G#68, this one is made from brass, and is made by one of the best mould makers still making moulds. As for the Lee, I have that exact mould in a 2 cavity, and it shoots great! If you can't or don't want to get in on the group buy mentioned, another option would be a SAECO mould. Their #69 is basically a clone of the H&G #68 but with a plain base (their #68 is the same boolit, but with a bevel base). I have a SAECO #69 and it's one of the best casting moulds I currently own! I preheat the mould on a hotplate, and by the time the alloy is ready, the mould is up to casting temp, and drops great boolits right from the very first one!

Doby45
06-08-2011, 09:23 AM
The Lee #68 clone worked/works great. I had that mold until Miha ran a true H&G #68 clone and I knew I would have to have that and dump the BB Lee mold.

tomme boy
06-08-2011, 10:32 AM
I have seen the GB that is going on. But I don't want to wait for 6 months before I get one. But, for $31 dollars for the Lee I might just get the Lee for now and sign up for the Miha. One can't have too many molds can he.

thegreatdane
06-08-2011, 12:41 PM
I have seen the GB that is going on. But I don't want to wait for 6 months before I get one. But, for $31 dollars for the Lee I might just get the Lee for now and sign up for the Miha. One can't have too many molds can he.

Sounds like a good idea. I really like my Lee 200 SWC. It feeds/shoots in everything I have. OAL is a little sensitive on the 1911s, but we all know they're picky anyway.

Great boolit. Great price, plus 6-cav! Go for it. It's my fav lee mold.

btroj
06-08-2011, 01:05 PM
Get the Lee for now, then wait for the Mihec version. that way you can shoot ALOT while waiting.
I like the Lee, it worked well for me but the Miha mould is unreal. That thing casts such a pretty bullet it is almost unbelievable.

txbirdman
06-08-2011, 01:33 PM
What's wrong with the RCBS 201 gr. SWC. It looks just like the H&G 68 to me except it seems to have a wider meplat. It's also a flat base design. I'm not sure there's anything the H&G 68 can do balistically that the RCBS can't and that mould is readily available.

tomme boy
06-08-2011, 01:59 PM
Nothing wrong with it. I have looked at that one. But I want at least a 4-cavity. Not sure if they make a 4-cavity and if my Lee handles would fit it.

theperfessor
06-08-2011, 02:33 PM
The RCBS is a good bullet but is only made in a two cavity and is a little spendy, although the one I have is top notch. I just got the Lee 6 cavity version but haven't had a chance to try it. My 1911s feed a commercial #68 type better than my Lyman 452460s, bought the Lee hoping it would do the same.

MtGun44
06-08-2011, 03:53 PM
I agree exactly with theperfesser on the RCBS version of 68. Have not tried the
Lee version but like the RCBS, it is not an exact clone. I have had zero problems
with 452460 feeding in anything, but the real,exact clone 68 is a top design and pretty
much the gold standard for reliable feeding and good accy in .45 ACPs.

Buy a two cav Lee and enjoy it for a while, but order the Mihec clone, his mold
quality is excellent and the clone is exact. Long term, buying this mold will be
something that you will congratulate yourself upon many times.

The Lee 2 cav is so cheap that not much will be lost and you will have something
to compare the MP mold to when it comes.

Bill

MikeS
06-09-2011, 03:41 AM
I have to say, I see folks talk about a boolit being an EXACT copy of the H&G #68, and others not being an EXACT copy, well, the #68 has had changes thru the years right from H&G. On another thread somewhere here (I don't remember where) a person shows a picture of a 1930's H&G #68 and a 1940's H&G #68, and they were quite different! Same basic shape, but with slight differences, so perhaps the Lee is a copy of one version of the #68, or maybe they made slight changes to aid in making them, or who knows. And maybe SAECO's #68 is a copy of a different generation of H&G #68, etc. I don't think there's much difference in the way one shoots over another, they're all the same basic boolit, and that design is a good one. When I have my Lee H&G clone loaded, and my SAECO loaded I can't easily tell the difference. And my PT1911 doesn't seem to notice the difference either (or perhaps I just can't shoot up to the potential of either boolit).

So if you're looking for a mould that will make good shooting boolits, I think any of the various #68 clones will shoot fine. If you're looking for a mould that's a piece of artwork, then you need either a genuine H&G, or a Mihec mould! Just my take on it, and I could be totally wrong.

MtGun44
06-09-2011, 12:40 PM
I wonder if you are thinking of another design, like 429421 which has been all over the
map by Lyman. Many Lyman designs drifted around a LOT.

In my experience H&G 68 design was extremely stable, I have never seen any variation
on that one that was visible to me. The only difference that I am aware of is the plain
base and beveled base versions.

Bill

xringshutr
06-10-2011, 12:15 AM
Everyone has given you good advise. I vote for the "buy the lee for $31 and put your name in for the MiHec". I just received my first MP mold and it is superb in every way. The only complaint I have with the Lee is the BB on it. Makes sizing a little difficult but you just have to pay close attention to the lube pressure. The Lee bullet shoots wonderfully though. 4.5 gr of Red Dot does great things for me.

MikeS
06-10-2011, 05:50 AM
Nope, I'm talking about H&G. Specifically the H&G #68. I think the pix on in the thread I started about H&G pricing a while ago (NOT the recent thread where I humorsly said they are JUNK)

35remington
06-12-2011, 11:48 PM
Lee's version of the design has a skinnier nose and a bevel base well below the driving band that gets somewhat higher velocities when loaded to the "standard" length of 1.250" than other 68 variants using the same powder charge.

More bullet is in the case. My guns have shot it accurately using anything other than a good lube like 50/50. This being due to a lube groove that is on the too large side.

LLA is accurate but gives some light leading if tumble lubed. Definitely experiment with "poor" lubes to see if accuracy improves.

Boolseye
06-12-2011, 11:55 PM
I have the six cav Lee version. Very nice, accurate bullet. I may try pan-lubing it, though 45-45-10 has worked fine for me. I like Lee molds, though I respect the pricey ones, too. Get the six cav if you're going to be shooting the bullet a lot–you won't regret it.

HeavyMetal
06-13-2011, 12:32 AM
I have two of the Lee 6 bangers in the H&G clone cut.

Shoots very well feeds very well and betwen the two Lees and my Star I can make a big bunch of ammo real quick!

Trust me if you buy one buy two! And try real hard to get them cut as close together as you can ( same production run) ''Life will be good" after you Lee ment them!