PDA

View Full Version : 6.5x55 CM load data help

oscarflytyer
06-07-2011, 10:52 PM
I have finally gotten to where I am ready to start working up some loads for my CM mold for my 6.5 Swedes. Looking for some help and info on what has worked for you, and trying to save as much wasted time/effort as possible.

And I know many say the Swede won't shoot the CM and there are better molds, etc. Understand - but the CM is what I have and want to give it a try.

Mine drops at .269/172 grns. My bullets are water quenched, lubed with 45/45/10 lube, not sized (are .269), and I will start w/o GCs. Want to see what happens sans GCs. Will start at 50 yds then 100. Eventually want to shoot at 100 and assume will need to go the GC route.

Having a bit of an issue as I can get the bullet seated in the case, but at .269 my RCBS die wants to bite the bullet nose before it can get to the case neck to put any crimp on it. Didn't even see that one coming, but... Hoping/assuming a LEE collet crimp die will cure this issue.

So far, I have worked with COAL in one rifle a 1900 '96. It will allow 2.995-3.000" COAL. I have not yet slugged the barrel.

Any powder/load data/tips and tricks would be greatly appreciated. Thanx

Steve

Ben
06-07-2011, 11:43 PM
Steve :

How are you prep'ing the case neck for the cast bullet. If you're using standard jacketed bullet dies those necks are ready for a .264 jacketed bullet, so the inside dia. of those necks are probably running .261 - .262. If you're seating a .269" dia cast bullet, it is probably taking a lot of pressure to seat a bullet, this in contributing to the nose deformation. You're trying to put a .269 " cast bullet into a .261 neck.

Do you have a Lyman M die for the .264 class of cartridges ?

Your RCBS dies may never tolerate a .269" bullet. Have you contacted RCBS ?

oscarflytyer
06-08-2011, 10:19 AM
Ben

Running the case thru the RCBS FL sizer as normal. FLaring the mouth with the Lee die just until the cast bullet will enter the mouth without any shaving.

Think you are correct - Don't think the RCBS die will ever crimp the bullet. It is just too big at .269.

The seating depth of the bullet is not an issue. I can seat it fine by running the die up and the seating plug down. Seats fine. But will not crimp. The crimp section of the die bumps into the bullet ogive before it gets to the case neck. Probably a Lee collet crimp die would work fine.

Hardcast416taylor
06-08-2011, 10:43 AM
If you are only using these cases in this rifle only there is no need to full length size. Neck size only then use the "M" die for opening the neck and mouth. The LEE crimp die is a way to close in the expanded mouth.Robert

oscarflytyer
06-08-2011, 10:51 AM
If you are only using these cases in this rifle only there is no need to full length size. Neck size only then use the "M" die for opening the neck and mouth. The LEE crimp die is a way to close in the expanded mouth.Robert

Cases were all fired in a modern Win M70 rifle. I have 3 rifles in 6.5. The 1900 original, a sproterized ver and the M70. All cases so far fired in the M70. Once I start loading cast I will probably only shoot them in the 1900, and if so, then I can go to neck sizing, etc.

ELFEGO BACA
06-16-2011, 02:07 AM
For the cruise missle i used 17.0 grains of SR4759.

I gave up using cartridges with this bullet because they failed to chamber in my Swede 38.

elfego