PDA

View Full Version : Master Caster - info on setup

BigSlick
12-30-2006, 09:59 PM
Hi guys,

I am just about to pull the trigger and pick up a Magma Engineering Master Caster. I haven't invested in too many molds yet, and I have decided to invest in a casting machine rather than dump a lot of cash into several molds and the like.

I'm pretty certain of the bullets I want to turn out, and it looks like Magma has molds to accommodate my needs.

I have a few questions and Magma is closed until Tuesday, so I thought I might see if any of you can help me out with some owner/user info.

Is it better to use Magma molds or buy another manufacturers molds and (have them) modify to fit.

What are the physical dimensions of the Master Caster, i.e. how much space do I need to allocate for proper mounting and use ?

What about ventilation ? It appears to include an exhaust blower. Obviously it will need to be vented outside. What size hole/duct do I need to plan for proper ventilation.

Is the blower noisy ? I plan on using this in my small shop area/garage. Noise isn't a huge issue, I can always wear plugs if necessary, but I don't want to deal with noise ordinance issues or disturb my neighbors too much.

What about required power ? Will a 15 amp 120v single phase circuit suffice for power ?

Pot size ? What size ingots can I safely use to feed the pot ? Most of what I have is in the 4" diameter range.

From what I read, the bullets and sprue drop into different holding areas (containers ?). How easy is it to remove both ?

Would anyone happen to have a manual, or know where I might download one ?

I want to make absolutely certain I understand the issues/benefits of practical ownership before I order. It looks great, has a great reputation and appears to be a complete unit, with the exception of molds. What else do I need to set this up properly for safe and convenient use ?

Any suggestions or cautions ?

Thanks in advance for the help ;)

BigSlick
________
Prilosec settlement (http://www.classactionsettlements.org/lawsuit/prilosec/)

45 2.1
12-30-2006, 10:37 PM
Is it better to use Magma molds or buy another manufacturers molds and (have them) modify to fit. Any steel or iron mold will work fine as long as it is converted. As for boolit design, get what you like.

What are the physical dimensions of the Master Caster, i.e. how much space do I need to allocate for proper mounting and use ? It needs to overhang what ever you mount it to or cutout the bench to accomodate the sprue/boolit chutes. Mine is mounted on a 2x12 then to the bench. Approximately 10" x 18" or so.

What about ventilation ? It appears to include an exhaust blower. That is to cool the mold, it is not an exhaust. Obviously it will need to be vented outside. No What size hole/duct do I need to plan for proper ventilation.

Is the blower noisy ? Like any small fan. I plan on using this in my small shop area/garage. Noise isn't a huge issue, I can always wear plugs if necessary, but I don't want to deal with noise ordinance issues or disturb my neighbors too much. It won't be a problem.

What about required power ? Will a 15 amp 120v single phase circuit suffice for power ? Its a 40 lb. pot and will need power. The pot is on a 20 amp circuit and the blower is on a normal 15 amp circuit on mine.

Pot size ? 40 lb. What size ingots can I safely use to feed the pot ? Most of what I have is in the 4" diameter range. 4" might be ok, but you will be pushing it.

From what I read, the bullets and sprue drop into different holding areas (containers ?). No, they are just chutes, you will be to build a sprue box and a cloth/carpet chute or ramp to get the boolits away. How easy is it to remove both ?

Would anyone happen to have a manual, or know where I might download one ? The manual isn't worth much, but can be had from Magma.

I want to make absolutely certain I understand the issues/benefits of practical ownership before I order. It looks great, has a great reputation and appears to be a complete unit, with the exception of molds. What else do I need to set this up properly for safe and convenient use ? Its very easy to understand and adjust.

Any suggestions or cautions ? I think you'll like it, but it won't put out as many boolits as a LEE 6 cavity mold.

44woody
12-30-2006, 10:47 PM
BigSlick I have a mastercaster and all but one of my moulds are Magma moulds the caster mesures 8x14 the fan is for cooling the mould and spew not for venttlition and is not to noise it runs on 120v I use the home made ingot moulds and 4lb lee ingot moulds and 5lb ingot ingot moulds to feed my mster caster with keep the lead about 1.5 in below the top of the pot and you will have plenty of lead to cast with I made a gauge out of a coat hanger that fits over the side of the pot and into the lead to let me know when i need to add more lead I keep mine with in 5lbs of where I started with I flux every other ingot with a pice of bees wax and it keeps my lead nice and clean if you have any other quistons pm me and I will try to answer them :castmine: 44Woody

LAH
01-01-2007, 11:52 AM
I used a 15AMP 120V breaker for each of my 40 pound pots. Worked great.

Mine would handle 8 pound bars fine but I pre heated them.

Something to consider is buying Magma mould block blanks with hardware and having someone else cut the bullet design such as NEI.

These machines are simple to set up and operate. I don't however find them fast. But they are very easy on an old body. HEE HEE

Bubba w/a 45/70
01-01-2007, 12:38 PM
Any suggestions or cautions ? I think you'll like it, but it won't put out as many boolits as a LEE 6 cavity mold.

Sounds like automation isn't always the best way for speed. Thanks for that small bit of info 45 2.1. Didn't realize that the Lee's could be that good for speed.

BD
01-02-2007, 01:35 PM
If you measure bullet making capacity by the amount of bullets produced in one hour once everything is up and running, then a pair of lee six bangers or an iron four holer and a damp rag will easily keep up with the master caster. However if you look at the time and work invested per bullet over the course of a year, then the master caster comes out way ahead. I believe this is primarily due to the 40 lb pot in combination with the fact that the machine has it's "own place" and is large enough that it isn't easily covered up by the "flat surface effect".
BD

legend
01-02-2007, 02:03 PM
when i owned the bullet business i had two and they were both good machines.i converted many molds to fit,if magma did not make the design,and conversions all worked well.i believe you have already had good info from the other members,and,i think you will enjoy the machine.best of luck! magma was a great company to deal with,and i enjoyed my dealings with them.

ANeat
01-02-2007, 05:05 PM
One thing about speed, a six cavity mold or two can really crank the bullets out. Probably 800 an hour if I recall. The bad part is after a few hours of that even the toughest of us would be a little wore out; plain and simple.

Myself and a couple of friends are looking to get a Master Caster at some point and the benifit is you can run the thing all day if needed and you will be in a lot better shape at the end of the day; with more bullets to boot.

Adam

j. clark
01-02-2007, 10:43 PM
I have used a master caster some and find the main benefit is it is much easier than hand casting. It is not especially fast. Overall I would have to say it is an excellent machine and very easy to use. You can have NEI designs cut in magma blocks. I had a bunch of older molds that I had run on magma's Bulletmaster re cut for new designs. So you are not really limited to what you can cast. I even new one fellow that modified his so he could cast hollow base minie's!!