PDA

View Full Version : Playin tourist outwest

redneckdan
12-30-2006, 09:11 PM
Jen and I will be heading west after our wedding in may, we're looking right now at route planning and would like your opinions on stuff to stop and see while heading for western montana. We would be starting in houghton, tentatively headin west along lake superior's south shore to minnesota and I-35, then to I-94 and on to I-90. Having said that, Jen and I prefer back roads and mom&pop eateries instead of interstates and fast food. Any suggestions of places to stop or alternate rounds would be appreciated. thanks.

waksupi
12-30-2006, 10:15 PM
Dan, consider crossing the Dakotas, and hitting Montana on Hwy. 200. Takes you through the Medora Badlands, Roosevelt's old stomping grounds, and through Charlie Russell Country. Not much traffic, small town America. Alternate, is Hwy 2, that runs across the top of the state, on the north side of the Missouri River. Any way you go, you will see miles and miles, of miles and miles. I 90 gets you across the state the fastest.
Someplaces you may not be at the ends of the earth, but you may catch glimpses of it.

onceabull
12-30-2006, 11:41 PM
redneckdan: took me two/thirds of a lifetime to get to the BlackHIlls for the first time..been back twice since,and can barely stand waiting to go again..SO, wouldn't want to see you go roading to and fro.Michigan to Dillon.Mt. without commending a o'nite stop in Spearfish,or Custer,SoDak. with a quick trip through major sites in the "parks". Exit the area into Wyo, lunch in Buffalo(Can't come up with a name,but the place is on E.Side of one of entry roads off the Interstate,and before you are in Metro Bufffalo. then head for the Custer Battlefield, with either Hardin or Billlings as your o'Nite stop. There is a wonderful hometown cafe in Hardin that is a never miss it again stop for me. Or if more time available, Head west just North of Sheridan,Wyo,and drive one of the three best Mountain roads in the US to Cody.Wyo. Suspect you don't need help re:what to see& do in Cody. Leaving Cody go north to Red Lodge,Mt ,then on To Dillon.. and you can catch the Custer Battleground eastbound ,backtrack 20-30 minutes and go NE through Miles City and take one of Waksupi's choices further homebound... whatever you choose it should be a wonderful start to your adventure's together.. Best. Onceabull

Boz330
12-31-2006, 05:16 PM
Dan,
If you have any interest in history DO NOT miss the Custer battlefield. Went elk hunting NW of Helena a number of years ago and hit the battlefield on the way back and didn't have near enough time to see properly.

Bob

garandsrus
12-31-2006, 05:52 PM
Go see Glacier National Park... I haven't been there and really want to go. Everyone I know that has been there has really enjoyed it! You can buy a "National Parks Pass" (or something like that) for about $50 that will get you into all the parks for a year. Definitely a great deal.

Another must see is Yellowstone...

John

dk17hmr
12-31-2006, 07:16 PM
Been westward a few times with my family on vaction, ussally go through the Bad Lands. Pretty nice except they really frown on shooting at p-dogs in the park.

MT Gianni
12-31-2006, 07:50 PM
Dan,
If you have any interest in history DO NOT miss the Custer battlefield. Went elk hunting NW of Helena a number of years ago and hit the battlefield on the way back and didn't have near enough time to see properly.

Bob

I guess it depends on how long ago. I went 25 years ago and enjoyed it, took the kids 10 years ago and walked out half-way through the PC schpill.
I would add to my don't miss sites: MT Rushmore, Devil's Tower, Yellowstone through the East entrance and out at West Yellowstone or Gardiner, Nez Perce Battlefield [Cheif Joseph] west of Dillon, Bannock St Park, MT, National Bison Range N of Missoula, Glacier Pk, and Pony Bar, Pony MT. Others such as Butte's M&M bar and Missoula's Oxford have gone down hill and are past their heydays but hold some history. Bring a fishing pole, some of the west's best fishing values are in Yellowstone and Glacier at $10 a week or so, no State Lic. needed. Gianni.

cherok9878
12-31-2006, 09:49 PM
Leaving Cody go north to Red Lodge,Mt (as posted by onceabull)
A young couple, friends of our family, were here for x-mas. They live in Red Lodge, the photos of the country side are breath taking. Jeff and one of his hunting buddies took a mulie that weighed in at 275lb with a 24" spread. Photos of this deer were amazing. Jeff invited me out for a hunt next season, I hope funds are available to make the trip..........larry

redneckdan
12-31-2006, 11:25 PM
Sounds like some awesome stops. Jen and I busted out the map this evening (needed a break from wedding planning), we can jump on US-2 right south of houghton and that heads all the way to glacier national park. I plan to through in my fly fishing gear.[smilie=1:

NVcurmudgeon
01-01-2007, 02:45 AM
Dan, if you'll be early enough in May, be sure to take in the Eighth Annual Nevada Cast Bullet Shoot in Winnemucca. Winnemucca is only one long driving day from central Montana.

Boz330
01-01-2007, 12:38 PM
MTGianni,
It was in 87, almost 20 years ago.

Bob