PDA

View Full Version : Still amazed...

selmerfan
06-06-2011, 11:32 PM
...by the B&M powder measure I traded for. When I first got it I took the "micrometer" drop tube and grabbed my commonly used powders and marked how many gradations per grain with each powder. I went to set it up again today with 2400 - dead on. I was able to make 1 and 2 gr. changes that were dead on in weight. So simple, yet so good!

Pieter C. Voss
06-07-2011, 09:23 PM
I made some extra drop tubes for my B & M from welded 1/2" tubing and 3/8" aluminum rod from the hardware store. The tubing has to be reduced in diameter to about .491" --I used a file to do this on the first one I made--very tedious. Then I had to knock down the welded seam on the inside--a rat tail file for this. A piece of the aluminum rod is then a pretty close fit inside the tube. Drill and tap the tube for a lock screw for the slider (alum. rod) and you can then set the tube for any charge. Be sure that the .491" end of the tube is nice and square. I made several more tubes but had a friend turn them down on a lathe--much easier. pete

selmerfan
06-07-2011, 11:37 PM
I've already got two tubes - the standard and the "micrometer" tube. I definitely prefer the micrometer tube, but can't see needing any extra ones. Good idea though! I've heard .45-70 cases filed down to specific lengths work as well.

Kevin Rohrer
06-08-2011, 12:26 AM
Yes, I much prefer mine to the Lyman 55, which sets unused and unloved on my bench.

If you do lots of powder charging at one time, get the Quick-Measure, which is a descendent of the B&M. It uses semi-fixed but quickly replaceable drop tubes that are $5.50 apiece. The tubes come in different lengths for different ranges of powder weights (e.g. 0-23gr, 20-35gr, etc). I can charge 100-cases in <5-minutes and they are dead-on, just like the B&M.

The Quick-Measure is in front (minus the removable drop tube), and my B&M clone (a Vega Tools Schutzen) is in back.

http://i666.photobucket.com/albums/vv29/KevinRohrer/Reloading/IMG_0407.jpg

selmerfan
06-08-2011, 08:25 AM
I've got a Lyman #55 on my bench as well, and it will continue to see use for loading large numbers of pistol rounds, but for rifle rounds the B&M is now the tool of choice.