PDA

View Full Version : Question about muratic acid testing for zinc

odinohi
06-06-2011, 09:21 PM
What I would like to know is will the acid react the same if the sample has 2% Zn as compared to .2% Zn? How far will the reaction go- .02%?
Inquiring minds want to know. Also is this the same acid used to clean truck aluminum? I pulled a major booboo a couple of years back while cleaning my truck bed. Learned to use a LONG handled brush the hard way. Thanks all, Tom

starreloader
06-06-2011, 09:43 PM
I think you would be much better off using Citric Acid.... Much better for the brass and you...

odinohi
06-08-2011, 05:10 AM
I think you would be much better off using Citric Acid.... Much better for the brass and you...

Dont get me wrong. I'm not scared to use the muratic acid. I would just like to know if it reacts the same as zinc in lead is diluted to .02% for example.

Gswain
06-08-2011, 10:35 AM
No, the reaction would not be as strong, its a basic function of chemistry. Less Zn would be present in your .2 sample, meaning less Zn would be available to react at the surface, meaning a less intense reaction. You would still see something though. I would guess that 20 % Zn would give you some fairly noticeable fizzing, where as .2% would be very very mild, maybe even hard to detect. If you are concerned about reaction strength, dilute the acid with some water, but remember always add the acid to the water, not the other way around.

odinohi
06-08-2011, 04:20 PM
No, the reaction would not be as strong, its a basic function of chemistry. Less Zn would be present in your .2 sample, meaning less Zn would be available to react at the surface, meaning a less intense reaction. You would still see something though. I would guess that 20 % Zn would give you some fairly noticeable fizzing, where as .2% would be very very mild, maybe even hard to detect. If you are concerned about reaction strength, dilute the acid with some water, but remember always add the acid to the water, not the other way around.

Gottcha! Thanks Grant.