PDA

View Full Version : 98 mauser trigger pull help

shagg
06-06-2011, 06:08 PM
I have a 98 mauser chambered in 30/06 as well as a 8x57 98 mauser that i built 7 years ago (my first and only build). The 8x57 has an acceptable trigger pull but the 06 was 6lb+. I put a weaker spring and polished the area on the bottom of the receiver where the trigger rocks. This brought it down to 4.5lb. At 4.5 lb it still requires a tractor to pull. I removed the spring and realized the friction of the (sear?) pulling down from the firing pin is most of the problem. I cant understand this because the 8x57 has all the same parts and is not like the 06. I even polished the surfaces of those parts to decrease friction but its still the same.
Anybody have any trigger tricks short of spending a pile of cash on a timney? I'm a mechanic by trade and am very adept at fabricating, welding and such. Playing with triggers makes me a lil nervouse but if i have a known good plan im sure i can do it.

Thanks for any help,
Ron

Multigunner
06-06-2011, 06:43 PM
I have a 98 mauser chambered in 30/06 as well as a 8x57 98 mauser that i built 7 years ago (my first and only build). The 8x57 has an acceptable trigger pull but the 06 was 6lb+. I put a weaker spring and polished the area on the bottom of the receiver where the trigger rocks. This brought it down to 4.5lb. At 4.5 lb it still requires a tractor to pull. I removed the spring and realized the friction of the (sear?) pulling down from the firing pin is most of the problem. I cant understand this because the 8x57 has all the same parts and is not like the 06. I even polished the surfaces of those parts to decrease friction but its still the same.
Anybody have any trigger tricks short of spending a pile of cash on a timney? I'm a mechanic by trade and am very adept at fabricating, welding and such. Playing with triggers makes me a lil nervouse but if i have a known good plan im sure i can do it.

Thanks for any help,
Ron

Well first off don't remove enough metal from either mating surface to prevent free engagement of the safety lever and cocking piece, thats a common error.

A condition fairly common to the cock on closing rifles is indentataion of the cocking piece sear surface by the trigger sear if slamed shut vigorously, usually this it due to dry cycling without dummy cartridges to soften the contact by resistence as the cartridge strips from the feed lips.
The cock on opening actions are less prone to this, but it might still be a factor if the cocking piece wasn't properly hardened or has worn through the heat treat layer.
If necessary get a replacement cocking piece. If they are interchangeable try the cocking piece of the 8mm on the 06 to determine if thats the problem.

Also machining marks on a sear surface don't always have to be polished smooth to get a good pull. So long as the tops of the marks are smoothed the tiny grooves actually help by holding lubes and reduce friction by not making full contact with the mating surfaces.

A mirror polished sear surface holds no lubrication, like a auto motor cylinder wall when the honed inner surfaces become worn smooth.