PDA

View Full Version : Hornady Bullet Feeder Dies

thehouseproduct
06-06-2011, 04:27 PM
I previously owned a Lee progressive press and hated nearly every minute with it. The one thing that I did like was the case feeding tubes. I feel it saved me a good amount of time dropping the cases into the tubes, you can load the tube faster than placing each one in the press. I was thinking it might be nice to apply the same idea to bullet feeding.

The Hornady bullet feeding dies are cheap. $25 or so. It seems with a tube on top of these, you could load 50 or bullets real quick and crank out ammo. Does anyone have one of these dies? How difficult would it be to affix a tube?

http://www.hornady.com/store/images/P/095320-BULLET_FEEDER_DIES_1.JPG

tackstrp
06-07-2011, 01:37 AM
I called Hornady and asked about the bullet feeder die, and was told could drop bullets in the top one at a time, if i did not buy the full bullet feeder system from hornady. Forgot to ask if that hornady feed die will actually seat the bullet to the proper depth.

Will watch you thread with interest . I like your idea, should work IMO

Cranium
06-07-2011, 04:39 PM
I have the bullet feeder for the LNL. The spring tubing that drops that feeds the die is just set in the top of the die without any restraining device.

The die is easy to set up and it would be quite easy to affix a tube on top.

thehouseproduct
06-09-2011, 07:38 PM
Well, die is ordered and on it's way. Next thin you know, I'll need a case feeder too.

Circuit Rider
06-09-2011, 09:44 PM
the house product-PM sent

thehouseproduct
06-09-2011, 10:37 PM
From the reviews on the 45acp die on Midway:
"Works very well. Using 230 grain RN heads, I have loaded close to 2000 rounds with no FTF. Using some flat aluminum bars and a drill, I was able to use a Lee Multitube bullet adapter to feed this die. So my investment for a bullet feeder is less than $50. The best thing to happen since carbide dies. Highly and absolutely satisfied. Getting the 44 mag and 9mm feeder dies soon. Excellent product Mr. Hornady!!!"

tackstrp
06-09-2011, 10:44 PM
does the hornady bullet feeder just set the bullet on the bell of the case? Confused which die seats the bullet to proper depth

Cranium
06-09-2011, 11:26 PM
It does not seat the bullet in any way.

The way the bullet feeder die works is that as the ram lifts the case up to it, the case presses against the lower collet in the die which causes the bullet to release onto the case.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74X8SvkpK0Y&feature=player_detailpage#t=130s

tackstrp
06-10-2011, 12:27 PM
Watched the u=tube video several times, Looks like the hornady powder cop die before the bullet feeder. and the last die seats and crimps . or a TWO die set. Also read that is only for plated or copper jacket bullets, which makes sense. Would not want the lube messing up the tube feed. Would think dropping cast bullets directly into the feeder die would be acceptable. But just a guess on my part. Have never seen the bullet feed die up close.

Does anyone know what brand of dies used in the video?

Cranium
06-10-2011, 12:55 PM
The dies in the video appear to be Hornady.

In the setup that I have, I currently have the bullet feeder die directly after the powder drop. The last two stations are seating and crimping. If you want to run a Hornady powder cop, RCBS Lock out die, or Dillon powder check between the powder drop and bullet feeder, then you must seat and crimp in the same station (as shown in the video). I may switch to this at some point to put my lock out die back in the cycle.

The bullet feeder is not recommended to be used with cast bullets; however, I have read that others have used the bullet feeder with cast bullets. In these setups a harder lube is required to prevent gumming up the system and periodic cleaning would also be required of the whole assembly to remove any lube deposits that may accumulate. I have not yet tried this myself since I am currently using a softer lube but I will be switching to a harder lube once it runs out.

tackstrp
06-10-2011, 01:56 PM
thanks cranium. have not had good luck with seat and crimp at same die. However neighbor uses Hornady dies and does good. Must be i spit wrong. Just dont like idea, not having the powder cop die. Not into speed so will pass on the bullet feeder. thanks for your message.

thehouseproduct
06-22-2011, 04:26 PM
I have the die in hand, have not had a chance to mess with it. Trying to finsih filling some 12G hulls and 357 before I go back to 9mm. I can say that 0.500" AL tube with a turned down section to fit the die will be perfect.

MotorcycleSniper
07-07-2011, 01:07 AM
Goto youtube and seach " hornady feeder die " and i have a 3 parts video to show how to convert hornady bullets dies to work with lead bullets, and how to make a custom and low cost bullets feeder tube....same user name motorcyclesniper

Westwindmike
07-07-2011, 10:32 AM
Here is MotorcycleSniper's video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJro27cx0yA

Moonie
07-07-2011, 11:30 AM
I watched all 3 of them related to this project. Very well done, I believe I will be doing this.

Thanks MotorcycleSniper.

MotorcycleSniper
07-08-2011, 02:29 PM
thanks for posting the link to one of the videos westwindmike.

Moonie remember to just take your time...after you do one and see how really simple it is, then the others are a breeze.

I hope the videos helped on the question if you can use lead bullets in hornady bullet feeder die, if so how to do it.
The only thing i need to add is i dont use a real soft/sticky lube, so you and others will have to add how it works with softer lubes, if you go with my type of bullet feeder tube system.

Last i am going to be doing some testing on the new RCBS bullet feeder die, i have one coming, i will let you know if it works, or not...either way people can know for sure

MotorcycleSniper
07-12-2011, 12:57 AM
i did some updates for the 9mm and 40 cal feeder dies

http://www.youtube.com/user/MotorcycleSniper?feature=mhee

buck1
03-30-2012, 01:12 AM
thehouseproduct, I would love to see how you atached the lee multi tube to the hrn die.

thehouseproduct
03-30-2012, 01:22 PM
thehouseproduct, I would love to see how you atached the lee multi tube to the hrn die.
I haven't. I went with aluminum tubes machined to fit the die.

thehouseproduct
09-03-2012, 04:57 PM
Link is here:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?p=1834332

Dannix
09-03-2012, 06:09 PM
Would this work on a Dillon650?

(I'm springing for a progressive set up this year, and I'm leaning the direction of the 650. I don't have vertical room in my cabinet for a case or bullet feeder though.)

thehouseproduct
09-03-2012, 07:31 PM
It should work with any press. The Hornady dies aren't press specific at all. My tubes are 24" long but could be chopped pretty easy if needed.

bottomline
04-12-2015, 09:38 AM
Just what I needed another project ! I ordered the die (back ordered) so when ever it gets here I'll get to work. Mine will going on a Dillon 650.

Moonie
04-13-2015, 12:16 PM
I've got the 45 pistol feed die and it works very well with powder coated boolits. I also have one for 40 caliber but have not tried it yet.

kfarm
04-13-2015, 12:41 PM
Mine work great, just gotta adjust it just right. I use a fiberglass crappie pole section that I cut off at the diameter to fit into the die then drilled a hole just above the dei for a cotter pin to fit in just like the primmer pick up tube. I have since then ordered the plastic tubes off Amazon for both 9/38 and 45. Wish hornady would sell the 223 and 30 cal rifle dies by them selves. Did 500 .308's yesterday and got 500 more brass to load soon.

flyingrhino
07-11-2015, 09:33 AM
1/2" CPVC tubing from lowes or Home Depot for the bullet tubes. These are 5/8" OD. 1/2" x 3/4" CPVC female adapter to go on top of the die. The 3/4" end will need to be sanded out a bit bigger to fit the die. Works like a champ.

omgb
07-11-2015, 01:11 PM
I own the 9mm, 38/357, 40 and 45 dies. I also have the Hornady bullet tubes. The 9mm tube fits the 38/357 but Hornady does not say so in print. You can drop one bullet at a time in the die or 8 at a time until the die is full or you can fill the tube your choice. in 38/357 using 150 grain FNHP you get exactly 8 bullets in the die and 30 in the tube. With three tubes filled (the come in a three pack) and with the die filled, you can run 100 bullets at a time or 1 box of Jacketed bullets however you want to count it.

As to cast bullets, the problem is not really the lube but rather the softness of the bullet. It tends to deform in the collet and thus fail to feed properly. That's my experience and it's what Hornady R&D found as well.

The pistol dies are a whole nother beast from the rifle dies. The rifle dies seat and crimp the bullets where as the pistol dies just set it on top of the flared case. This is key; unless you run a separate flair die you will need to adopt the PTX system with the powder measure. That system expands the case mouth as it drops the charge. If you have the older case activated measure, you will have to buy the new one to properly use the PTX dies. They are designed to interface with each other.

Another thing about the rifle dies, they do not work with flat nose or round nose bullets, only spritzers. They are not picky about bullet bases though as boat tail and flat base work equally well.

Kilroy08
07-11-2015, 02:34 PM
This video here shows a pretty slick adapter:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QuXAII4aogU

Take a Hornady feed die, parts of Lee's bullet feeder, and the adapter.... Poor Man's Mr. Bullet!

It looks pretty slick and would be handy if I had a 5 or more station press.

The adapter is at http://www.bullyadapter.com/

(http://www.bullyadapter.com/)