PDA

View Full Version : 6.5x55 CM load data help

oscarflytyer
06-06-2011, 03:22 PM
I have finally gotten to where I am ready to start working up some loads for my CM mold for my 6.5 Swedes. Looking for some help and info on what has worked for you, and trying to save as much wasted time/effort as possible.

And I know many say the Swede won't shoot the CM and there are better molds, etc. Understand - but the CM is what I have and want to give it a try.

Mine drops at .269/172 grns. My bullets are water quenched, lubed with 45/45/10 lube, not sized (are .269), and I will start w/o GCs. Want to see what happens sans GCs. Will start at 50 yds then 100. Eventually want to shoot at 100 and assume will need to go the GC route.

Having a bit of an issue as I can get the bullet seated in the case, but at .269 my RCBS die wants to bite the bullet nose before it can get to the case neck to put any crimp on it. Didn't even see that one coming, but... Hoping/assuming a LEE collet crimp die will cure this issue.

So far, I have worked with COAL in one rifle a 1900 '96. It will allow 2.995-3.000" COAL. I have not yet slugged the barrel.

Any powder/load data/tips and tricks would be greatly appreciated. Thanx

Steve

06-07-2011, 12:20 AM
Starting a gas check designed boolit, into the case mouth, without the gas check can be problematic, as the boolit has a tendency to yaw about. Even a Lyman M-die doesn't help.

RCBS seating dies and fat-for-caliber boolits are not a happy combination.

It is not necessary to crimp rifle boolits. If the case is sized properly, neck tension should be sufficient.

Slugging a barrel always gives you a reference point from which to work. It very well may be that a .269" boolit is what is needed, but why go about casting and reloading blindly?

Cast Boolits has many Cruise Missile threads and posts. They just might save you that "much wasted time/effort."

1Shirt
06-09-2011, 11:50 AM
I size mine .269, and suggest a starting load of a recommended minimum of 2400 from the old Lyman manuals.
1Shirt!:coffee:

oscarflytyer
06-09-2011, 04:09 PM
I size mine .269, and suggest a starting load of a recommended minimum of 2400 from the old Lyman manuals.
1Shirt!:coffee:

Mine drops at .269.

Don't have an older Lyman manual. If you do, would you mind posting the minimum? Would appreciate it. Thanx

shastaboat
08-09-2011, 12:20 PM
Well, I will give you a brief experience success story on my 96 Swede I sporterized to 18.5" barrel, composit stock, cock on opening speedlock, 3x9 scope. I started with Lyman 266469 which I cast with 7#WW & 3#LT at 145 gr; straight WW at 150 gr; straight LT 139 gr. Sized .266. I had difficulty getting this bullet sized straight in my Lyman 450. Caused yawing. If I was very careful and let them time harden or put the unsized bullets into the freezer to harden and then sized I could generally control the sizing operation. Otherwise I encountered bent bullets and lots of yawing on target. Then tried Lyman 266455 which cast 129 gr in WW and 126 gr in 7WW 3LT mix. I had originally wanted to shoot the 6.5x55 to 2200 fps but I just couldn't get it to group at those speeds. Eventually I settled on the 126 gr. with 14 gr of Dupont SR 7625 which chronographed at 1697 fps (5' from muzzle) and shot nice .75" groups all day long at 100 yards. My OAL was 2.925" with this bullet seated to kiss the lands. There is not much bullet left to seat in the case neck but it was adequate. I think that a Lee push through sizer die might solve the bent bullet issue on the 366469 but It's such a long slender bullet...I just don't know...The real problem is the long freebore in the Swede, over .5". Someday I'd like to build a Swede with no more than .25" throat.