PDA

View Full Version : How long till range lead stops popping?

Jamesconn
06-06-2011, 01:23 PM
lets say a full 2qt pot at 700 degrees how long should it take?

Jim
06-06-2011, 01:41 PM
James, can be a bit more specific with your question? I really have no clue what you're talking about or what you're asking.

oneokie
06-06-2011, 01:46 PM
Long enough for all the range scrap to get above 212 degrees. Keep the pot covered until you are sure everything is at or above that temperature.

mold maker
06-06-2011, 02:24 PM
You will get poping and mini geysers from FMJ bullets until they all get well above melting temp. I pick out all I see and hit them with a waffle faced hammer, to create holes for them to leak through. I also cover the pot until a sneak peak shows most jackets are empty.

Doby45
06-06-2011, 03:30 PM
Always keep a range scrap pot covered. Let it do what its gonna do and then clean it up..

Lizard333
06-06-2011, 08:56 PM
The popping can be a real pain. If it's all range scrap than you don't ahve top worry about zinc, so cover and crank the heat. Not worth getting nailed by a fine stream of lead from a jacketed round relaesing it's lead.

Ithaca1911
06-07-2011, 11:14 PM
got about 1300 lbs of range scrap melted so far this week, I'd have to concur with those who said "cover it and let it go". if you get it hot enough, most of those pesky tmj's will pop for ya. I wear welding gloves, and drop the jackets, stone, and tmj's into a metal can. then sluice that out. works well to separate the tmj's that didn't pop (they'll look like eggs :-)

rtracy2001
06-07-2011, 11:46 PM
Use a nice heavy lid.

Despite what mythbusters claim, an unfired 22 rf will explode due to heat. It will lift the lid several inches and may result in soiled underwear. :oops:

This one was the result of some help from the 10 year old who knows that daddy picks up all the "dud" 22s that are found lying on the ground at the range. Normally I will spend an evening pulling the lead and pouring out the powder (makes nice fireworks). The 10 year old tried to help by picking up a handfull of 22s off the ground and placing them directly into the range scrap bucket.

clintsfolly
06-08-2011, 12:09 PM
Sure blame the kid!!!!! Clint

dnotarianni
06-08-2011, 02:25 PM
Use a nice heavy lid.
Normally I will spend an evening pulling the lead and pouring out the powder (makes nice fireworks). .

Easier way is to cut the brass case with a pair of tin snips. Brass case around the bullet will float to the top during smelting. I usually do that over a strainer so the powder falls thru into a pan to collect it for fireworks and just dispose of the rim as you would normaly. Lot quicker than pulling.
Dave

rtracy2001
06-08-2011, 10:13 PM
Sure blame the kid!!!!! Clint

I got a nice confession out of her.

No real harm done this time so we chock it up to a lesson learned. I've made my share of mistakes.