PDA

View Full Version : Lead Bullet Die Bleed Hole Size Question

Pinzgauer
06-06-2011, 09:30 AM
I am fine tuning my lead pellet swaging die set.

It is amazing what artistic shapes lead flash can take on when squeezed between the faces of a split bushing type of die![smilie=l:

It seems like a 0.020 bleed hole in the center of the nose punch is too small, thus allowing too much pressure which forces the lead flash out between the split bushing surfaces. Do you think 0.030 or 0.040 inches is about right? I was going to drill the hole up to .030, see if that works and then go to .040 if needed.

Kindly,

Mike B

deltaenterprizes
06-06-2011, 12:44 PM
Increase size until you get the desired results, go slowly, it is easier to remove metal than put it back!
The bleed holes I have seen look as big as .0625"

Pinzgauer
06-07-2011, 09:46 AM
Thank you Delta.

I think that 0.062 inches may be OK for a core swaging die but do you think it is appropriate for a final sizing die?

Thanks for your cautionary words, I do plan on opening up the bleed hole a little at a time.

The proper bleed hole size will allow the press and die set to develop enough pressure to make the lead fully fill the die cavity without springing the split bushing halves apart and forming exessive flash between the faces ( I should have taken a picture, it was impressive)!

Kindly,

Mike B