PDA

View Full Version : Reloading For Yugo Mauser

tuckaseean63
12-30-2006, 04:37 PM
HEY FOLKS,I AM NEW TO CAST BOOLITS. I HAVE A YUGO 24/47 THAT I WANT TO RELOAD FOR WITH OUT SPENDING ALOT OF MONEY FOR A RELOADER. DOES ANYONE KNOW IF LEE STILL SELLS THE LEE LOADER FOR 8X57MM MAUSER? OR WHERE I MIGHT FIND ONE. ANY INFO WOULD BE APPR...:Fire:

Junior1942
12-30-2006, 04:49 PM
No 8x57 http://www.leeprecision.com/cgi/catalog/browse.cgi?1167511607.4292=/html/catalog/cleeloader.html

tuckaseean63
12-30-2006, 06:31 PM
THANKS JUNIOR1942 FOR THE INFO.. I ALREADY FOUND YOUR WEBSITE AND LOCKED IT IN ON MY FAVORITES.....:drinks:

Bret4207
12-31-2006, 10:28 AM
The Natchez flyer (just and example, other outfits will be about the same) offers the Lee Challenger press Anniversery kit for $29.99. Pacesetter dies run $18.99. The cheaper Reloader press is $19.99 and the RGB Die set for $10.49. For $35.00 give or take you can be set up and the press, while light will handles a lot of relaoding chores.

tuckaseean63
12-31-2006, 11:23 AM
Many Thanks Tpr.bret! This Might Be The Way I Will Go.

Larry Gibson
12-31-2006, 01:37 PM
THANKS JUNIOR1942 FOR THE INFO.. I ALREADY FOUND YOUR WEBSITE AND LOCKED IT IN ON MY FAVORITES.....:drinks:

Excellent way to start reloading, I started that way myself in the early ‘60s.

A couple tips for using the Lee Loader;

Get;
One of the larger MTM storage boxes, one with an internal tray, as it will hold all your reloading stuff.

A plastic headed mallet. These are available at most hardware/lumber yards.

Some 0000 steel wool to clean the outside of the neck. A small tuft wrapped around the neck and twisted does a quick job. May also be used with discretion to clean the outside of the cases.

A clean bore brush on a small pistol rod to clean the inside of the necks. After sizing push it straight in and slightly twist pulling it out. Usually one pass cleans the carbon and debris out of the neck pretty well.

A small screw driver to clean the primer pocket but the Lee primer pocket cleaner is inexpensive and works well.

A Lee chamfer tool for chamfering the inside of the case mouth and the outside if necessary. A small knife blade will do also for the inside.

The Lee hand priming tool is almost a must unless you want the be-jesus scared out of you when a primer pops tapping them in.

A Lee powder funnel, works much better than pouring through the sizer.

A tapered punch can be used to flair the case mouth if you are loaing cast bullets.

A loading block to hold the cases that you’ve put powder into.

Nice, or next to have;

Lee’s powder dippers.
A good powder scale.
A powder trickler.
At least one good reloading manual.
A dial caliper.

All the above will fit into the MTM box.

Most of the above will also be required when you advance to a single or progressive press.

Larry Gibson

Ricochet
12-31-2006, 04:26 PM
I'll second that recommendation to use the hand primer seater and not the primer seating rod with mallet. Not only will it scare the bejeesus out of you when a primer pops, it'll happen quite often if you're using the mallet seating method. That's crazy! And the first time it happened to me, I wasn't wearing gloves. When a CCI #350 primer goes off while you're holding the rod right above the die opening, it feel rather like I imagine it'd feel to hold a firecracker in your fingers. I felt a stunning blow that left my index finger and thumb numb. They were blackened. They didn't stay numb. Hurt like hell as the feeling came back. And my ears rang. If you MUST use the standard Lee Loader setup, wear heavy gloves, good eye and ear protection. You WILL have primers explode. I used to average 2-3 blowups per 50 round box of .44 Magnums.

tuckaseean63
01-01-2007, 06:48 PM
Thanks Guys For All Your Help And Information...

mike in co
01-01-2007, 10:12 PM
here is the good news...they use to make an 8mm handloader......
the bad news, i called and asked they say they have no plans to make them again....
i'm keeping mine!
get inexpensive dies, neck size since you have just the one rifle.
i have not had the primer problems the others talk about, but quit beating in primers over 15 yrs ago. go with a hand or press primer.

look for a used press for sale....or a basic lee press.

keep your eyes open....on the various auction sites...gun shows, garage sales.