PDA

View Full Version : Testing 45-70 bp loads W/ww boolits.

littlejack
06-06-2011, 12:46 AM
Hey fellas:
I went to the range yesterday with my Uberti Hiwall.
I loaded up 20 rounds of my usual bp loads, except I topped them off with
boolits cast of ww alloy +2% tin. The boolit is the Lyman 457125 Government.
The boolits weighed at 516 grains sized and lubed with Emmerts recipe.
I started with the bore clean, and run a dry patch through it t get rid of most of
the residual barrel oil. I also dried the chamber.
First five shots at 100 yards went into .850 center to center. I checked the muzzle
between shots to check for leading. Temperature was 75* and humid. I
blew 4 good breathes between shots.
I could see gray streaks at the muzzle beginning to form during the first string.
I adjusted the scope up and settled in on the 200 yard target.
Those 5 shots went into 1. 780. The leading became very previlent, and
chambering a couple of the last 5 became hard. I had to brush out just in
front of the chamber.
I cleaned the rifle, and found leading forward of the chamber in the bore
about 6". I started this time at the 200 yard target.
The first fouler went way the he!! high and a bit to the left. I must have helped it
along some by pulling the shot. It went 3.75" high from the last 4 rounds of
Again, the gray streaks started in the muzzle.
I adjusted the scope down to 100 yards, and shot my last 5 rounds.
These 5 shots went into 1.75. Again, chambering became hard, and brushing out
the chamber was necessary.
I cleaned the bore again, and found the same leading as before.
I have not gotten this leading when using my normal 20-1 alloy. I believe that
the boolits were not obturating, and I was getting blow-by.
I will probably continue to use the 20-1 alloy, but it was good to know that even
with the ww alloy, I could still use my load for hunting with good accurate results.
I like the Leatherwood scope real well. I'm still getting used to the 3/4" tube.
When sited for 100 yards, I just raise the elevation adjustment 9.5 moa, or one
full revolution and 1.5 marks to hit on at 200. What could be easier than that?
If I ever get to where I can post picture, I will.
Jack

Nobade
06-06-2011, 09:17 AM
Hi Jack,
I have had about the same experience you just did using wheelweight bullets in my 45-70 rifles. Two things that I have found to help is first to anneal the bullets in a toaster oven before loading them, and shoot them within a couple of days. They will get softer, but then harden up again in a short time. The other is to use Bullshop's NASA lube. Since I tried that I haven't used my old Emmert's any more, it is that much better. Conditions around Albuquerque in the summer are tough for shooting BP, with mid 90's temps and less than 10% humidity. I used to have to fight lube failures, now my guns just keep shooting. Something worth trying!

onondaga
06-06-2011, 08:46 PM
I suggest you try getting a Hoppe's Bore Snake and pull it through DRY once after every shot. Longer than 4 breaths between shots will help too. I find 4 minutes between shots sufficient until I can feel the barrel is warm then I wait progressively longer.

The Bore Snake easily cleans up at home after a range session by soaking it with 409 or Mean Green then rinsing and hanging to dry.

Gary

littlejack
06-06-2011, 09:30 PM
I don't have a problem with the leading in my usual loads.
I will continue to use the 20-1 alloy, and not be concerned. I was only testing the ww alloy to find out if they would react differently than the 20-1 boolits. They did, but not in the way that I had expected. I was glad to see that I could switch alloys for hunting if necessary, and still hit the perverbial 'broad side of the barn".
For removing the lead, I used my usuasl bronze brush wrapped with the copper scouring pad thread.
It worked superb as usual.
Jack