PDA

View Full Version : Range REport, Colt Govt. Model ...oops

omgb
12-30-2006, 02:03 PM
:roll: Well, my son and I picked up the new Colt Govt. Model 45 he gave me for Christmas and headed out to the Oak Tree gun range to do some shooting. The good, it shoots like a house a fire. At 25' I put 5 shots through the same ragged hole. At 75' keeping everything in a 4" group was easy. It's got the best out of the box trigger pull I've seen in years. Now the ugly, two mags in the white dot in the front site when south. I have no freeken idea where it is. Damn, that ticks me off. I grabbed a bottle of White Out from the range office and filled in the hole. Not great but it worked. I ran three hundred rounds through it and other than that and a loosened rear sight screw, not a single problem.

I'll call Colt on Tuesday and see what they say about that insert. I'm sure as all heck not going to send the slide back to them ....that could take weeks.

C1PNR
12-30-2006, 10:21 PM
The only suggestion I would make is for you to consider a Tritium insert front sight. I personally don't think it's necessary to have both front and rear in Tritium.

Or have Bill Wilson install his White Dot sights. I think they're called 3 dot "Combat Sights," but I'm not sure.

My bedside 1076 came with Tritium front and rear, I specified Tritium front only on my P-14, and my Commander has the Wilson 3 dot set.

I'd actually rather have the Para at bedside, but it hasn't proven itself 100% reliable yet, so the 1076 is there, backed up by the Colt.

dmbassking
12-31-2006, 04:45 AM
My front site dot went bye-bye in a couple of mags too! I called colt and they mailed me a new front site for free.

Good luck, i feel you pain.

Mike

Char-Gar
12-31-2006, 08:20 AM
These new Colt GM are great handguns.. They produce far better accuracy than the Gold Cups of 30 years ago. I bought a 2004 production GM and brought it back closer to the 1911A1 configuration I like with a short steel trigger and steel arched MS housing. It is one fine pistol and now wears a great pair of Texas Honey Mesquite grips. Oh yes.. the dot is still in my front sight.

I did have to shorten the hammer spur a tad to keep it from biting the web of my hand.

Colt has had it's ups and downs as far as quality, but the handguns that have come out in the past few years, are as good as anything they have made.

waksupi
12-31-2006, 11:49 AM
SO, has anyone came up with an adjustable target sight for a 1911, that the screws will stay in place? I've tried a few over the years, and some would shoot out, before I could get them set, and locktited in place. I went back to fixed sights on my Colts because of this. Probably best, for my intended use, but would be nice to have a sight that would stay together.

KYCaster
12-31-2006, 06:52 PM
Ric: Bo-Mar is pretty much the standard on the IPSC circuit. Trouble free when installed correctly. If you're looking for a drop-in replacement for the Colt sights, then good luck. Let me know if you find one that works.

Jerry

fecmech
01-01-2007, 01:02 PM
Rick--I put some LPA sights on my Browning Hipower (I know its not a .45) a year ago and have run 2-3k thru it since then with no unwanted sight changes. I do change settings between my 121's@1200fps and 147's@1000fps. The clicks on these sights are very positive and I don't believe they would move on the .45. I bought them from Brownells (a front & rear set) for about $40. Nick

robertbank
01-01-2007, 01:31 PM
I have to 2nd the Bomars. I have not heard any complaints about the new Novak Adjustables that are now out. Para installs them on their Jerritt Limited Edition model so I assume they stand up to compeitive shooting as the gun is aimed at the Single Stack crowd in IPSC.

Take Care

Bob