PDA

View Full Version : rfi isshy metal

adrians
06-05-2011, 09:27 PM
good evening ,
today i walked out of a local gun show with a RFI "enfield" 2AI chambered in 7.62mm,
OH i paid for it by the way, anyway i have never owned an enfield afore and was just wondering how to get that crappy black paint off it without messing up anything?
and when it is off ,what finish should i give the metal( it was made in 1968) and the rifleing and bore are A+.
The wood, i,m not too concerened with as i have many milsurps and found a good cleaning with mineral spirits and the like are all i need to finish with a few coats of b.l.o.
BUT this black s&*t on the metal is horrible it's goota go .... please help!!!:evil::kissarse::twisted:

docone31
06-05-2011, 09:50 PM
Those rifles are great! I have had three. NO issues.
To get the black enamel off, I have used Easy Off! and scotch brite pads. They enameled the rifles to cover the scratches etc. Conventional blueing works on the rifles.
With that wood. Use Easy Off! And then Tung Oil it. If you do a bedding job such as the #1MKIII for accuracy, you will find them very comfortable to fire. The Williams SMLE reciever sight will go right on. The reciever is not hardened so it is easy to tap.
The Huber trigger helps with the two stage pull if you cannot get used to it. Frankly, I like it.
A great rifle.

2152hq
06-05-2011, 09:57 PM
Just regular paint stripper takes it off rather quickly. It's nothing special, just some kind of enamel it seems.
Under it you may find a nicely Parkerized finish or in some cases an original rust blued finish.
In those cases if the original finish is reasonably in tact, I'd leave it and use the rifle as-is.

Sometimes it's just bare metal!

If you want to re-finish it, then I'd have it bead blasted and re-Parked or blued.
Some have used the spray on finishes but personally I'm not a fan of them. Just a personal opinion though.

Nice rifles. I had 4 different ones over the years. All were great shooters. My first one was $65 in excellent cond from the wholesaler,,but that was a while ago of course.

The original wood is a Mohogany(sp?) and isn't the hardest wood around but seems to hold up well if given reasonable care. Keep the front trigger guard screw tight to help avoid stock splitting (on these and any Enfield bolt rifle)

7.62NATO caliber,,most people will shoot 308Winchester in them but they are really different cartridges/specs. Still plenty of milsurp stuff around to play with.
12rd Mag,,originals are pricey,,repros are available.
The ButtStock can be exchanged with the one from a WW1 No1MkIII rifle if you want the extra drop. The only difference is placement of the through bolt hole in the wood,,,, and the different shape aluminum butt plate on the 2A1.

Earliest Models were the Mod 2A,,only difference was in the rear sight. Different graduations/ranging. Sometimes collectors will pay a bit more for a 2A. But the basic rifle is the same.

MtGun44
06-06-2011, 06:55 PM
Mine was like dip-applied locomotive paint. Clogged the rear sight aperture shut,
froze the small parts.

Of course, after the Mumbai massacre, we find out that the entire state that Mumbai
is in had maybe 2 million rounds of ammo total in stock. Clearly they NEVER issued
any ammo for anything, let alone training, so who cares if the parts are glued down
with locomotive paint? My guess is we have multiple guys on the board that have
more ammo than that in their basement. :bigsmyl2:

Bill

Jim
06-06-2011, 08:12 PM
I picked up one of those not too long ago. It's my truck rifle.

http://fgsp.files.wordpress.com/2011/06/photos-044-e1306934556366.jpg

adrians
06-06-2011, 08:42 PM
thanks for the hints and help fella;s.
i applied some regular stripper on a spot here and there and it appears it,s nicely parkered (i,m hopeing anyway) , the wood seems to be a reddish /dark brown color which suggests mohogany of some kind ,i like that darker stock color.
me thinks this rifle will be a goody when done.
very nice rifle and scope Jim :-D.
thanks guy,s have a good evening.:twisted::happy dance::evil:

cheese1566
06-09-2011, 08:45 AM
I love mine and took doc's suggestion of adding a Williams peep sight on the back. I can shoot cast boolits through that gun all day and have fun. Brass with those loads and a Lee collet die makes the brass live forever.

Mine does however have some generous headspace, so I stay away from full power loads and any and all factory loads.

I refinished mine using Formby's and a homebrew parkerizing solution. Follow the link below to check it out in my projects.

adrians
06-25-2011, 09:13 AM
speaking of peep sights ,i have a 57SME (somewhere) and was wondering if this will go right on my RFI 2A1?.
the "E" is for enfield(isn't it )? but is it for the later RFI 2A1 or the earlier mods?.
if not i have a nice turk mauser that would love to wear it.
i have used lyman peeps on three mausers and i love them sights but if it will fit without too much stock work i want it on my ishy, if not my turk gets lucky..:smile:
have a wonderfull day guy's and gals .:evil:[smilie=s::twisted: