PDA

View Full Version : New, to me, 22 mold

HeavyMetal
06-05-2011, 06:33 PM
A pleasent morning was spent with the girl friend here at the Costa Mesa gunshow.

As she'd never been to a gunshow before it was a very different experience for her one she enjoyed very much, not sure the jewlery guy had as much fun, but she got a nice ring for herself and some Silver chain as well.

Saw the usual stuff as well as plenty of ammo and components like Bullseye for 18 a pound! Didn't check primers although I saw a bunch of them so supply was not an issue.

Went, mostly, to see what was up and show the GF how my world worked.

Found a guy selling molds, he had a dozen or more on display, found an 8 cavity H&G 68BB ( this sucker is heavy) but didn't have the $200 asking price. Saw about 4 or 5 6 and 4 banger H&G's as well. As well as the usual selection of Lee tumble lube molds ( rarely see a standard lube groove Lee mold for sale it's always the TL BS which should tell newbie casters something) and a smattering of Lyman Ideal molds.

going through a small pocket of single cavity molds, seeing the usual 429421, 358429, 358156 selections I stumbled into an Ohaus mold!

Very nice condition single cavity 22 caliber 50 grains or so. Mold numbers are 22-050-F and Ohaus 116.

Price tag was $40.00 so it followed me home!

Looks like a nice mold for my 222 and 22 Hornet rifles. I do know that RCBS bought Ohaus is this mold still available?

More importantly has anybody used it in the 222 or 22 Hornet?

I'll heat up the lead pot here in a bit and cast up a few to check as cast diameter

That will help me decide on a sizer die and I guess I'll need to order some 22 gas checks.

The GF had a great time and will do this again with me anytime I want.

What a great day!

Jack Stanley
06-05-2011, 06:40 PM
I don't think it is still offered , I have a 22-55-FN that is no longer offered as well but that's as close as I've seen to your find . I finding tables like that at the show and one of these days I'll come across another nice heavy-weight mold like you saw .

Jack

HARRYMPOPE
06-05-2011, 06:47 PM
The one i had looked like the 225415.Most of the old Ohaus designs were close copies of Ideal's.

HMP

HeavyMetal
06-05-2011, 08:37 PM
HMP:
Strange that you should mention the 225415 as that was my second choice on the table again a single cavity mold.

I went with the Ohaus because of two things, I've had several RCBS molds and they have been flawless in use, and the Ohaus mold has two lube grooves rather that one lube and a crimp groove.

Other than that these molds are very similarly cut and it was a tough call to chose one.

NHlever
06-05-2011, 08:57 PM
That mold should work just fine in your .222. Don't worry about the single cavity thing. I have a Lyman 22596 single cavity, and it casts great boolits as fast as I care to cast.

More important is that you shared your hobby with your GF in a way that eases her into it, and yet exposes her to many things. I'm realy happy that the trip worked out well in that way for both of you!

BCall
06-05-2011, 10:22 PM
Nice find. I have an Ohaus 22-058 that looks like the Lyman 225462, but have been unable to find one of the 22-045(looks like a 225438) or one of the 22-050's that you just found.

HARRYMPOPE
06-05-2011, 10:53 PM
HMP:
Strange that you should mention the 225415 as that was my second choice on the table again a single cavity mold.

I went with the Ohaus because of two things, I've had several RCBS molds and they have been flawless in use, and the Ohaus mold has two lube grooves rather that one lube and a crimp groove.

Other than that these molds are very similarly cut and it was a tough call to chose one.

you should have both both and HP's one of them!I have good varmint hunting results with the 225415 HP'd @ 1900

HMP

Doc Highwall
06-05-2011, 10:54 PM
I saw a bunch of moulds yesterday at the gun show and they were all round ball moulds and a about three 575231 moulds. He had nothing for cartridge guns.