PDA

View Full Version : Primer nipple thing

joeb33050
12-30-2006, 08:36 AM
Does anyone know where I can buy one of those gizmos that screw in the nipple hole and hold a primer, so you can use a primer instead of a percussion cap?
Maven sent me one, but the threads didn't fit my Renegade.
I'm working on the Renegade, using the tips and advice I received. I should be done trying it all around 2036.
Thanks;
joe brennan

twotoescharlie
12-30-2006, 01:21 PM
Dixie gun works

TTC

joeb33050
12-30-2006, 01:54 PM
Dixie gun works

TTC

Thanks. Got it. You guys may not know how to spell "bullets", but you sure help me out a lot-you guys know your gunstuff.
Thanks;'
joe brennan

45 2.1
12-30-2006, 02:54 PM
Thanks. Got it. You guys may not know how to spell "bullets", but you sure help me out a lot-you guys know your gunstuff.
Thanks;'
joe brennan

Bullets are those things refered to as jacketed, condoms or full length gas checks. Boolits on the other hand are what we deal with here and are cast from lead with some tin and antimony in them most of the time. Now that you know, we expect you to use the correct words when descibeing things.

45nut
12-30-2006, 03:55 PM
read my signature for my definition.

floodgate
12-30-2006, 08:20 PM
45nut/45 2.1:

It's worse than that! In common usage - and even among many professionals - "bullet" now refers to a complete cartridge or any part thereof, as in "...picking up the spent bullets from his automatic revolver."

At least, with "boolits", WE know what WE are talking about.

Floodgate

PS Of course, languages DO evolve. I used to jump on my son when he referred to wheels (automotive, motorcycle and bicycle) as "rims". But he pointed out that they are no longer assembled from hubs, spokes and rims, but come in one piece, so "rims" is as good a term as any. Arrrrggghhhh!

mooman76
12-30-2006, 09:02 PM
The term round ( as in bullet or cartridge) comes from the "round" ball.

versifier
12-30-2006, 09:16 PM
Joe,
The Renegade is not designed to use 209 primers, which work much better with an in-line, straight-through ignition. If it was, Thompson would make retro-fit kits for it. If you need to go hotter, try musket caps. If that doesn't help, get an inline, but trying to make a traditional design work with add-on contrapted modern system is akin to sticking a hemi under the hood of a Model T. There is no game on this continent that cannot be killed quickly and humanely with a Renegade powered by plain old percussion caps.

Remember a while back when you wanted to cheap out and buy yourself that poorly made *** inferior muzzle loader? I told you to buy the Thompson. But, you went with the cheap one and it was up for sale in an awful hurry. I'm glad to see you bought yourself a real one. But this time, maybe you'll be a bit more receptive to sensible advice: Learn how to use it the way it was designed. If you really want to play with shotgun primers, sell the Renegade to someone who will appreciate it and buy yourself a m/l designed for them.

waksupi
12-30-2006, 10:10 PM
I'd sure stick with regular percussion caps, myself. The old timers wanted as cool of a cap, that would set off the charge. More consistant accuracy. I suppose if you are using the fake powder, it may require more spark. But, if you are using the pretend powders, you will have already advanced into the dark ages.
;o)

joeb33050
12-31-2006, 06:48 AM
Joe,
The Renegade is not designed to use 209 primers, which work much better with an in-line, straight-through ignition. If it was, Thompson would make retro-fit kits for it. If you need to go hotter, try musket caps.

(I don't need to go hotter, I just want to try the gizmo out. I've seen a like device on slug guns at Ft. Ticonderoga. Ned Roberts mentions the gizmo several times and seems to think that is more accurate. Ned's book was written in 1940 and he mentions people using the gizmo in the late 1800s, so it ain't modern.
The LRBP guys burn out nipples fast, hence platinum. I think the gizmo wouldn't burn out/as fast. My rifle gets a lot of stuff on the barrel and stock around the nipple-blow back. I've taken to mask taping the gun in that area to keep the stuff from blowing inside the lock. Another reason to try the gizmo.)

If that doesn't help, get an inline, but trying to make a traditional design work with add-on contrapted modern system is akin to sticking a hemi under the hood of a Model T. There is no game on this continent that cannot be killed quickly and humanely with a Renegade powered by plain old percussion caps.

(I don't hunt, don't want to kill anything. Well....)

Remember a while back when you wanted to cheap out and buy yourself that poorly made *** inferior muzzle loader? I told you to buy the Thompson. But, you went with the cheap one and it was up for sale in an awful hurry. I'm glad to see you bought yourself a real one.

(The CVA Hawken has a rough barrel, rusted in the past. However, it worked well, and gave me a gun to start on. I bought the Renegade on the advice of people on this forum, and am happy with it so far.)

But this time, maybe you'll be a bit more receptive to sensible advice: Learn how to use it the way it was designed.

(I have enough advice about muzzle loading to keep me busy for a lifetime. Thank you all for the advice. It's all written down and I'm trying to experiment sensibly. I can't believe that it's that hard to get good groups, and Roberts's book gives me a good indication of the size of groups to expect/hope for. I sometimes think that I'm too willing to take advice, but experimenting is what I like.)

If you really want to play with shotgun primers, sell the Renegade to someone who will appreciate it and buy yourself a m/l designed for them.

( I don't, and don't understand those 209 plastic guns. Circumventing the laws?)

And now something down here.
joe brennan

MT Gianni
12-31-2006, 08:28 PM
I bought some RWS caps and had 50% failure rate, not to ignite powder but to go bang as a cap. I could buy sr primers for 1/2 the cost of caps and shoot on the cheap, switching back when I wanted to hunt and reprime in a hurry. My reason for owning one. Gianni.

robert william
12-31-2006, 11:02 PM
Ive been using Remington and CCI caps for the last 28 years and can't remember the last time a cap did not explode so long as I had propperly seated it. That could be your problem. Caps are like womens clothing (go shopping with yer wife and you'll understand), sometimes #11s are more like #10s and don't fit the nipple right. The cap has to be seated all the way down so that the priming compound is sitting on the nipple allowing the hammer blow to crush the compound and detonate it, rather than being wasted pushing a too tight cap onto the nipple.

MT Gianni
01-01-2007, 01:05 PM
Ive been using Remington and CCI caps for the last 28 years and can't remember the last time a cap did not explode so long as I had propperly seated it. That could be your problem. Caps are like womens clothing (go shopping with yer wife and you'll understand), sometimes #11s are more like #10s and don't fit the nipple right. The cap has to be seated all the way down so that the priming compound is sitting on the nipple allowing the hammer blow to crush the compound and detonate it, rather than being wasted pushing a too tight cap onto the nipple.

I hear you about fully seating the cap. RWS were all I could find and were still two or more times the cost of sr primers. IME a short seated cap would go off the second time the hammer fell, these woulld not. Gianni.

waksupi
01-01-2007, 04:01 PM
If the caps don't fit the nipple, remove the nipple. Chuck it up in a drill, and squeeze some sand paper on it. Check often, to see you just have a nice snug fit.

PatMarlin
01-02-2007, 02:04 AM
I bought one of those TC hotshot nipples, and the damn thing gave me misfires with the caps, then for the heck of it I bought another and I'll be darn if that one didn't do the same thing.

I put the stock TC nipple back on my TC Hawken, andit works fine. What's up with that?

I did buy one of those nipples from Dixie to use standard rifle primers, but it's for my 12ga inline. It's a Knight Turkey shooter, that uses shotgun primers, but I HATE the damn red plastic insert you have to use with the shotgun primer everytime- what a waste, so I converted it to use a standard nipple thread and the Dixie primer nipple.

Dixie charged me an arm and a leg to ship the little part UPS.. :roll:

PatMarlin
01-02-2007, 03:21 AM
THis post jogged my memory and I realised I didn't get around to installing the Dixie mod. in my Knight TK2000 shotgun, and I didn't check to see if the threads matched even, so I just got it out and installed it.

It fits and it's actually a pretty neat gizmo. It has a spring that holds in the small rifle primer pretty solid. I couldn't get it to come out without sliding the spring over and then it releases the tention on the primer.

For my needs this is great, as my inline is built for a hot primer. Inline abomination I know, but what even adds insult to injury is Knight trys to lock you into buying their damn little plastic inserts, and you have to use an insert every shot.. :roll:

THis shotguns' really a pretty nice high tech shooter, camo, fiber optic sites, and I have a set of screw in chokes for it also. Now I need turkeys.. :mrgreen:

omgb
01-02-2007, 10:23 AM
I just can't believe that a Renegade needs anything other than a #11 cap for sure fast ignition. I've been shooing TCs since the early 1970s. I can't count th enumber of shots I've fired but it surely must number in the thousands. Other than when I tried using Triple 7, I never (read that rarely) experienced a misfire. When i did, it was usually either a failure of mine to clear the channel of all oil or the caps were bad. IME, CCI and Rem are more reliable than RWS. Ely is very good when it can be found but CCI is your best buy. They even make a hot cap for those who want one.

PatMarlin
01-02-2007, 12:23 PM
CCI's or RWS wouldn't work worth a damn with the TC hotshot nipples. Maybe you have one of those?

I should call TC and ask why those nipples aren't working right and look into it futher, as I wrote above the same can of caps work fine with the stock nipple my TC Hawken came with.

versifier
01-02-2007, 12:26 PM
I can't see anyone wanting to be fumbling with a tiny primer in wind, cold weather, snow, rain, etc. Even on a nice summer day at the range those itty bitty things are a PITA to be handling. I remember as a teen using simple priming tools, but it took young eyes and young fingers seated at a quiet bench. Even a shotgun primer needs a capping tool if you are in a hurry for a second shot, and if you are smart you use a capping tool with percussion caps, too. Both work well even if your fingers are a bit numb.

PatMarlin
01-02-2007, 02:02 PM
Your right about that. Getting that SR primer in the inline space is not easy. They do fit my capping tool well, but they are a tiny but shorter so you can't set it in the nipple, and you have to do it with your fingers.

It would be a pain in the butt out in the field so removed the Dixie and put in a standard nipple. It holds a CCI cap snug, and easyily inserted with the capping tool.

I don't see why in the world a CCI cap won't work in the inline. If I have to, I'll try musket caps, but I'm not using the shotgun primer, unless I can make a nipple to hold it without Knights plastic inserts.