PDA

View Full Version : Casting bronze

bhn22
06-04-2011, 10:31 PM
I'm looking for a part time business, and am interested in casting small bronze pieces to sell at renaissance fairs, etc. I've done a little research, and it seems to be a natural progression from casting bullets. Is anybody here casting bronze? Any suggestions on getting started? I do understand my Mag20 isn't going to handle this, but feel I could assemble the necessary tools to make this work.

Frank46
06-04-2011, 11:52 PM
Go over to graybeardoutdoors.com, scroll down to the black powder cannon and mortar forum. Some of the guys there do their own casting in bronze and there have been some good posts about this. Frank

JIMinPHX
06-04-2011, 11:58 PM
Industrial Metal Supply carries the bronze casting pellets that you will probably want to use for raw material. That stuff melts at a much higher temperature than lead does (like 1200F), so you are going to need all new equipment.

DeanoBeanCounter
06-05-2011, 12:22 AM
Here's a web sight that might help.

http://www.backyardmetalcasting.com/index.html

Dean

Mk42gunner
06-05-2011, 12:48 AM
I remember just enough about sand casting in shop class in high school to get me in trouble. We melted the metal in crucibles in the gas forge.

We also did sand casting and centrifugal lost wax casting in jewelry class, (fine arts credit since I couldn't draw a line).

Robert

Bent Ramrod
06-05-2011, 01:12 AM
I have a friend who does this. You will need a large propane tank, a burner, a crucible holder, a bunch of graphite crucibles, tongs, a bag of foundry sand and a bunch of wooden frames. Also personal protective equipment.

You pound the sand into the frames around the patterns you want to cast, make gates for sprues and air vents, remove the patterns, clamp the sand moulds (I think they're called "flasks" at this point), heat the bronze to melting, and pour into the flasks. It takes some practice as sometimes the metal doesn't completely fill the cavities, but you can remelt the bronze and reuse the sand in subsequent tries.

I tried melting old brass cartridge cases down in his setup for casting and found that an even higher heat was needed. The brass would melt but not to a level that it would pour and take the shape of the pattern easily.

Catshooter
06-05-2011, 06:23 PM
If you do this may I suggest that you also look into firearm parts.

For instance on the Graybeards site there is an H&R/NEF section. I've bought forearm spacers and a trigger guard cast in bronze. The spacer is a simple part, the trigger guard not so much. I was very lucky to get them as they were only avaiable for a short time and they went very fast.

I think you could sell quite a few parts there.

I have also noticed that Tyler, of the Tee Grip fame is gone. So those could be produced as well.

Please don't use brass, use bronze. Brass will tarnish and bronze doesn't. Or some doesn't.

Good luck on whatever you do.

Cat

BCM45
06-05-2011, 09:00 PM
You ought to look at David Gingery's series of books, "Build your own metal working shop from scrap". He starts off with a foundry and casting al, it should help you get started.