PDA

View Full Version : Finally scored some pewter

wtfooptimax200
06-04-2011, 09:15 PM
After a great deal of hunting around, I finally found some pewter at a tag sale AND an estate sale this morning. What are the common prices for these items?

At the tag sale I came out with 1 lb 7 oz for $16, which seems a bit high, but still cheaper than buying pure tin. I was able to but another 4 lbs 4 oz and a beat up stainless pot for dropping my hot sprue for a total of $10. This buy made up for the high price I paid at the first stop.

My total haul ended up being 5 lb 11 oz for $26 or around $4.50 per pound. Does this seem reasonable to you?

Now come the questions.....

First, one of the pewter plates (complete with ID stamp on the underside) has a thin copper ring around the rim of the plate. Am I correct in assuming that it is OK to leave this on when smelting, as the copper will not melt and I can just skim it out as dross (similar to clips in wheel weights)? Or should I attempt to cut the ring off?

Second, I found one small dish that was dimpled on the underside (in the area where the stamp would likely be) and had no 'pewter' markings. It seems to be pewter and the person in charge of the estate sale confirmed my feelings. Do you think it is sufficiently safe smelt this? I would hate to lose an entire batch to one bad plate. Has anyone found pewter plates without markings?

Thanks to all of the contributors on this site, I would have had a very difficult time finding this pewter if it were not for all of the helpful posts in this section of the forum.

Branden

odinohi
06-04-2011, 10:04 PM
Hold it up to your ear and give it a bend. Tin will make a cracking sound.

littlejack
06-05-2011, 01:21 AM
Coming out to 4.50 per pound, sounds good to me. I try to get it as cheap as possible. If the price is to high, I pass.
+ 1 on what odinohi said. Feels funny when crackling.
The copper will float, no worries.
Jack

runfiverun
06-05-2011, 02:07 AM
tin will help copper alloy into a lead alloy.
if it's kept under 1% a regular ww alloy and 2% tin will handle it just fine with a bit more casting heat.
copper is a pretty good thing to have in a high speed alloy.

Defcon-One
06-05-2011, 02:34 PM
First, the Copper won't melt!

Second, I hear this all the time, "I would hate to lose an entire batch to one bad plate." The answer is always the same, melt it separately then, when you are sure of what you have (melting point, color, overall looks right, etc.) add it in. If it looks wrong, then don't ad it in.

Over all price was good in my opinion. So, I think that you did real good!

jsizemore
06-06-2011, 09:55 PM
If you have a piece that is questionable find a piece that you know is pewter about the same size and thickness. Put them in the hot empty pot together and see if they melt at about the same time and rate. If it ain't the real deal, pull it out and let it cool. Keep it in a conspicuous place in your casting/reloading area so you don't forget that if you ain't sure that it's pewter put it down and walk away.

I pay about $3/lb. You've got enough pewter to enrich 300lbs of lead 2%. Now you can take your time and bargain and learn.