PDA

View Full Version : Interesting press I found

Gswain
06-04-2011, 06:12 PM
Was over at the girlfriend's grandad's place, telling him about the reloading I've been getting into, and he tells me he has an old press he used to use somewhere, but hasn't seen it in a while, and if I want it, I can have it. :drinks:
So were out in his shop looking around, and after a while, he sees something on the floor, points at it, and says there it is. At first glance, I thought it was a starter motor for an engine. It has an odd tapered body that gets smaller close to the die threads, and triangular mounting pattern. It has "EAGLE COBRA" cast into the sides of it, and I have never heard of it before. Looks stronger than hell though. It is currently seized up and nasty, but I figure ill take some pics, and see if i can get it cleaned up and working again. Who doesnt need an extra press anyways? Has anyone ever seen or heard about these?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/four27_cobra/P6290090.jpg
The EAGLE COBRA press.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/four27_cobra/P6290091.jpg

I spent an hour with a wire brush on it, got most of the **** cleaned off of it. Ram was seized, but was no match for my 10 Lb lead hammer. It is now unseized. Actually cleaned up pretty nicely.

1hole
06-04-2011, 06:39 PM
"Has anyone ever seen or heard about these? "

Yeah. ??

Catshooter
06-04-2011, 06:56 PM
Welcomet to the forum Gswain.

Certainly by now you've heard that "Pics or it didn't happen" is the rule of the day around here.

:)

Cat

Gswain
06-04-2011, 07:14 PM
Welcomet to the forum Gswain.

Certainly by now you've heard that "Pics or it didn't happen" is the rule of the day around here.

:)

Cat

Gee whiz, you'd think I said I saw a bus full of topless cheerleaders drive past me! :2_high5:

Will post pics in a bit.

John Traveler
06-04-2011, 08:02 PM
I had an Eagle Cobra back in the early 1970s.

It was of cast aluminum construction with a modified "C" design with thick back webs that enclosed the back or about 120 degrees of the "C".

Eagle was a company that made modest quality reloading presses and die sets. No longer in business.

Gswain
06-04-2011, 08:48 PM
I had an Eagle Cobra back in the early 1970s.

It was of cast aluminum construction with a modified "C" design with thick back webs that enclosed the back or about 120 degrees of the "C".

Eagle was a company that made modest quality reloading presses and die sets. No longer in business.

That sounds exactly like it! I wonder how interchangeable modern dies and shellholders will be with it.

HeavyMetal
06-04-2011, 10:43 PM
Had an Eagle years ago and it was set up for 7/8x14 dies and the RCBS Lyman "Universal" shell holder, description matchs the one given to a T.

Typical single stage C press worked well had three other C press at the time, and two Dillons, so guess why it and a couple of the other press were traded off.

If I had just started reloading it would have been a fine addition to the gear do enjoy it.

Tom W.
06-04-2011, 11:25 PM
Now, about those cheerleaders.....

Pavogrande
06-05-2011, 12:32 AM
Fellow in the los angeles area had one for sale on calguns a few months ago - $25 I think -

John Traveler
06-05-2011, 01:00 AM
The Eagle Cobra was a modest quality press because of it's aluminum construction and single (not compound leverage). I used it for a couple years loading .38 Special, .45 ACP, and forming 7x57 Mauser cases. Wore the toggle link holes in the aluminum casting loose, and I mean LOOSE! It was ready for a rebore/rebush, and fell into disuse when I got my RCBS Rock Chucker. It was an "ok" first press, but nothing spectacular.

As I recall (I was 2nd owner) the press, one set of dies, and tube of case lubricant were packed into a display "kit" and on sale at the local discount department store.

LUCKYDAWG13
06-05-2011, 09:17 AM
Now, about those cheerleaders.....

GOT PICS :smile:

Catshooter
06-05-2011, 06:50 PM
I do admire a well turned cheer leader . . .

Cat

jsizemore
06-23-2011, 06:41 PM
I do admire a well turned cheer leader . . .

Cat

Waving her legs in the air like she just don't care!

canyon-ghost
06-23-2011, 07:18 PM
The cheerleaders aren't modest? An entire busload?

Ron

ronbo
06-26-2011, 08:51 AM
Have some eagle loading dies in a clear top plastic box and they appear to be heavy duty.

shaggist
06-26-2011, 11:34 AM
Enough already with the Eagle stuff. WE WANT THE CHEERLEADERS!!!!!!!!!!!!

seagiant
06-26-2011, 02:12 PM
Hi,
Nothing like Florida Girls!

mroliver77
06-27-2011, 12:31 AM
Goodness! That gal on the right has legs clear up to......

GP100man
06-27-2011, 06:48 AM
Most of`em do !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Uncle R.
06-27-2011, 01:28 PM
NOW I'm confused. Did you say the cheerleaders have 7/8-14 threads and cast-in gussets? Dang - they really DO grow 'em different in Florida.
Uncle R.

seagiant
06-27-2011, 03:42 PM
Hi,
I'd like to say to Gswain the OP that I didn't mean to hijack his thread just having fun. I went on my usual search engines looking for your Eagle Cobra and found nothing-ZIP!!! I like to rebuild old reloaders and have been reloading and casting for over 30 years and have never heard of this press!

Something you might want to do is try and get some pics up of it and you will not only be helping yourself get info but will be sharing also! I have a cheap little SONY digital camera and while not the best takes pics and I can show what I'm talking about. Here is a single stage old Pacific Super Deluxe that I rebuilt the other day and works great now and ready to do another 40 years!!!

Pressman
06-27-2011, 05:19 PM
The Eagle 3 in 1 or Cobra was given a good review in Handloader issue No. 1.

They Claim the offset handle improves the mechanical advantage from 4 to 6 to 1.
Three in one is loading, case forming and swaging. Maybe a bit of a stretch with any aluminum frame press.

Ken

1874Sharps
06-27-2011, 06:31 PM
No, I think he said he saw the cheerleaders in a clear top plastic box.

Gswain
06-27-2011, 08:04 PM
:hijack:

Guess thats what I get for not putting up pictures of it, lol

goofyoldfart
06-29-2011, 05:48 AM
Gswain: My friend, you have just found out that with reloaders and casters--it's usually GIRLS and Guns. And about in that order. Still would like to see some pics when you get the time. :)) God Bless to all.

Goofyoldfart < aka GOF, Goofy(Grumpy also) and Godfrey>

Gswain
06-29-2011, 09:52 AM
OK, y'all have finally motivated me to get off my duff, pics are up on the first post I made about it. I even labeled them so the next curious george will probably find them with a google image search :)

seagiant
06-29-2011, 11:02 AM
Hi,
Thanks for the pics! I've never seen one before! Looks pretty beefy to me,I don't see why that would not reload anything on my bench!

jnovotny
07-01-2011, 09:49 PM
That one cheerleader up front also looked pretty beefy to me too!

EDG
07-03-2011, 04:20 PM
I have a set of Eagle dies in 6mm Rem. Dimensionally they match up with the best dies out there.
The look a little odd. They are painted OD green. I will buy more of the dies sets as I find them and dispose of some that I have now.

MikeS
07-06-2011, 11:13 AM
Seeing those pictures of that press, I'm not sure if it should really be called a C press. It's more of a cross between a C press, and an O press, considering the shape of it, I would imagine it has rigidity close to an O press, even if it's made of aluminium. It looks like it would be more rigid than say a Lee aluminium O press. And I too thought it looked like a starter motor when I first saw it :)

Trey45
07-06-2011, 11:20 AM
It looks built tough enough to do swaging, the cheerleader, not the press.....

MikeS
07-06-2011, 12:44 PM
It looks built tough enough to do swaging, the cheerleader, not the press.....

Is that why they sometimes call it 'squeezing a baby out'? :bigsmyl2:

NoZombies
07-06-2011, 02:40 PM
They called it the "cobra" because the shape resembled the hood of a cobra, BTW. For the really heavy duty stuff, you can bolt a plate between the primer swing arm bracket, and the top bracket.

MikeS
07-07-2011, 05:27 AM
For the really heavy duty stuff, you can bolt a plate between the primer swing arm bracket, and the top bracket.

I never would have thought of that! I would imagine the same could be done with almost any single stage press that uses a similar primer setup. That would make it into a modified O press :)

NoZombies
07-07-2011, 02:00 PM
Yessir, any of the presses with that primer set up and the top bracket can be stiffened with the tie plate.

Pressman
07-07-2011, 06:51 PM
C-H, Pacific and ECHO offered plates that fit in the primer feed and arm notches to convert their C frames to an O for swaging. It was part of their swaging die kits.

Ken

Catshooter
07-08-2011, 07:28 PM
Ken,

You are a wealth of info on presses. Thanks for being willing to share it with us.

Now if we could just talk you into posting some pics of your collection . . .

Cat

Pressman
07-08-2011, 08:03 PM
Cat shooter my collection is in chaos at the moment. My wife decided that we NEEDED to live in a townhouse. I lost that discussion. We moved Memorial day and I have been struggling to get everything into the new place. Progress is slow but ongoing.
I needed to build new shelving and carry everything from the storage unit to the basement here. Tomowow's going to be in the mid 90's, should bea great day for heavy work outside.

When I get it all together I will get pictures; floodgate is responsible for the shelf idea I went with. He is the real brains behind the collection.

Ken

Catshooter
07-10-2011, 04:46 PM
Ken,

That would be grand. Floodgate is a helluva guy too, and he ain't stupid either. I look forward to seeing your setups.

Cat