PDA

View Full Version : 6mm Epps, sorta

madsenshooter
06-04-2011, 05:06 PM
Anyone have any experience with the 6mm Epps Improved? I've got this little project I'm working on. I recently got a new 6mm Rem 700 takeoff barrel off gunbroker for $50. I'm going to have a local gunsmith cut the 243 Win chamber out, thread the barrel for a Krag action and chamber it with a 6mm/30-40AI reamer that I have. But I'm going to have him hold the reamer short so that I can use 303 brass which is easier to find and often less expensive than 30/40. What I should wind up with will be very close to the Epps, but perhaps even more improved as the reamer will cut a .447" shoulder. I know I'm not going to be able to get a lot of speed with cast, the barrel has a 1/9.25 twist, but that should be an improvement over my 1/8 twist Obermeyer that'll only give me 1600fps. I'm well aware of the pressure limits of the Krag, starting loads for the 6mm Rem will probably be the data I'll use for jacketed bullets as the case capacity of two will be close. It's going to be a sweet little carbine for my grandson. The barrel should finish out at 20".