PDA

View Full Version : Win 94 forearm screw

Ilwil
06-04-2011, 04:41 PM
My circa '51 94 threw the retaining screw on the forearm. Can anyone point me to a likely source for a replacement? I looked at Gun Parts; their site doesn't seem very definitive as to whether their part works or not. I think it is for post 64 rifles. A gun smith told me I need a pre 64 screw. Does this ring true? Thanks.

markinalpine
06-04-2011, 04:46 PM
Brownells, a board sponsor by the way, or Numrich are good sources.
http://www.brownells.com/
http://www.gunpartscorp.com/

oneokie
06-04-2011, 05:15 PM
Rifle or Carbine? If carbine, round band or flat band? The flat band screw is longer than the one for the round band.

John Taylor
06-05-2011, 10:30 AM
http://www.wisnersinc.com/rifles/winchester/94.html

Ilwil
06-05-2011, 03:00 PM
Gentlemen, thank you for your helpful responses.

06-05-2011, 05:53 PM
Yep to the other posts. That screw (and it's clearance keyways) are some of the most buggered up parts on seasoned 94s- because of mis-alignment and using wrong screw drivers when re-assembling. When in doubt go with the longer screw and turn down to correct length if needed. Then put a very slight, smooth, rounded, beveled taper on the end.

John Taylor
06-06-2011, 10:24 AM
Yep to the other posts. That screw (and it's clearance keyways) are some of the most buggered up parts on seasoned 94s- because of mis-alignment and using wrong screw drivers when re-assembling. When in doubt go with the longer screw and turn down to correct length if needed. Then put a very slight, smooth, rounded, beveled taper on the end.

Got to be careful with longer screws, they can dent the mag tube and cause the follower to get pinched and hang up. If you want to try a longer screw get some for an 1886 Winchester, a bit longer than the 94/92.

06-06-2011, 12:12 PM
JT- "Got to be careful with longer screws, they can dent the mag tube and cause the follower to get pinched and hang up. If you want to try a longer screw get some for an 1886 Winchester, a bit longer than the 94/92."

Hmmm? Don't quite follow you. Is the OP talking about the rifle version of the 94 that has the forend cap with the two (short) retaining screws that screw into the tenon barrel block? I assumed and maybe incorrectly he was asking about the "carbine" forend/barrel band screw that passes all the way thru a keyway or channel between the mag tube and the barrel. That system uses a single screw attachment for the forend/barrel band, that goes from one surface of the barrel band to the opposite surface of the barrel band. The only way that can pinch the mag tube or mis-align to the opposite tapped hole in the barrel band is if the mag tube is not seated fully or is turned slightly so the clearance channel doesn't allow the screw free passage to the opposite side of the barrel band. These are the ones I see commonly buggered up by bubba smithing. That has nothing to do with length of the screw. The OP said, ".... the retaining screw on the forearm"- implying the carbine barrel band one screw system.

If it is the rifle type cap being asked about..... that is a different story, different system that uses the two short screws into the barrel tenon.

Ilwil
06-06-2011, 01:03 PM
You guys are clearly Jedi Masters when it comes to 94s, but I did describe this as a circa 1951 Model 94. I'm pretty sure that by then Winchester only made the 94 in the carbine version, and I think the flat band version was no more. Thank you all for weighing in.

John Taylor
06-06-2011, 09:00 PM
JT- "Got to be careful with longer screws, they can dent the mag tube and cause the follower to get pinched and hang up. If you want to try a longer screw get some for an 1886 Winchester, a bit longer than the 94/92."

Hmmm? Don't quite follow you. Is the OP talking about the rifle version of the 94 that has the forend cap with the two (short) retaining screws that screw into the tenon barrel block? I assumed and maybe incorrectly he was asking about the "carbine" forend/barrel band screw that passes all the way thru a keyway or channel between the mag tube and the barrel. That system uses a single screw attachment for the forend/barrel band, that goes from one surface of the barrel band to the opposite surface of the barrel band. The only way that can pinch the mag tube or mis-align to the opposite tapped hole in the barrel band is if the mag tube is not seated fully or is turned slightly so the clearance channel doesn't allow the screw free passage to the opposite side of the barrel band. These are the ones I see commonly buggered up by bubba smithing. That has nothing to do with length of the screw. The OP said, ".... the retaining screw on the forearm"- implying the carbine barrel band one screw system.

If it is the rifle type cap being asked about..... that is a different story, different system that uses the two short screws into the barrel tenon.

My bad, I work on to many of the old rifles and I forget that some were carbines.