PDA

View Full Version : Adding air to punch brass thru the Lee Case lee $20 press cast bluge buster

tackstrp
06-04-2011, 04:28 PM
I tried once to use the cheapest Lee press upside down for running case thru the lee bluge buster. That meant had to pull the handle up not push down I noticed the ram has basically a yoke on the end. If I remove the handle and linkage then replace with a small air cylinder with a rod end, a little air hose, a toggle valve to move cylinder stroke up and down few fittings, believe would be an nice tool. Only have one good arm. so all the automation i can make is important to me.

Settting the press up side down, or on bottom of the table, means putting the case IN the die not sitting it by hand on top of the punch or ram . What ever it is called...

If I stil did tumble lube seems could do the same for the lee bullet sizing.

Can you see the slot at the left end of the ram, That can be used as a yoke to connect a pnemantic clyinder with a rod end. when i get around to doing that project, will post a picture. Looks simple and not expensive at all.

Chicken Thief
06-04-2011, 05:11 PM
Air sucks!
Actually it compresses and that is bad.

W.R.Buchanan
06-04-2011, 07:11 PM
tackstrap: what you want to do is certainly doable BUT there are a few other things you need to consider.

First: the case needs to be aligned perfectly with the die. When operating manually you feel if it is not and correct it. With air you will be jamming it thru no matter what.

Also Air operated rams are kind of dangerous. They typically move very fast as they need the momentum to make up for their lack of power. Also refer to the first consideration as it relates here too.

You need a way to align the case with the die to eliminate this problem.

Another problem is there is no mechanical advantage to your single stage ram proposal.

If you were operating the lever with the air ram instead of just driving the ram itself you would keep the presses "as designed" mechanical advantage and you could run the air cylinder slower which would make it alot safer.

So if you solve the two problems of case alighment to the die, and being able to run the air cyl at a sensible speed you will have it beat.

Randy

tackstrp
06-04-2011, 07:58 PM
will find out in month or so. When finish coverting my tool shed to an ICE box for my reloading area, i will tackle that project. Live in Texas, was 102 degree here today . R39 in roof of tool shed R19 on sides. 12000 something A/c

Arthritis and nerve damage in my arms requires me to seek other ways to reaload.

bumpo628
06-04-2011, 08:16 PM
I don't think the air cylinder is going to be a problem at all. The press is going to guide the ram, so once you set up the cylinder it'll be fine. As for the alignment of the brass in the die, it all depends on how far the case sits in the die. If it goes in far enough then it will be fine.

You may want to try inserting the shell head-up and head-down to see if one way works better than another. If you put it in head down, then you might want to use a much smaller pusher so it doesn't hit the case walls.

Good luck!

Mk42gunner
06-05-2011, 02:08 AM
I think I would rather do it with hydraulics than pnuematics, but either can work.

The hardest part I see is getting the air cylinder's ram in line with the press ram. You might also want to put a safety interlock in the air circuit to keep from accidentally processing your fingers.

Don't forget hearing protection, air compressors and escaping air can cause lots of hearing loss.

Robert

tackstrp
06-05-2011, 02:42 AM
seems to be some confusion, am not suggesting doing away with the lee press or the lee ram. Only saying how to use the existing lee ram and press, excluding the lee handle and linkage and adding a pnuematic cylinder so i do not have to use my hand or arm. Always in pain from arithris and other old injuries. So have to look for other ways to do my reloading and not be in constant pain. If i recall, paid $20 for the lee press at midway.

Mk42gunner
06-05-2011, 08:34 PM
That is why I mentioned getting the cylinder in line with the press. If you don't, every time you cycle the ram you will be putting side pressure on the ram which would contribute to early failure of your press by wearing the guide surfaces prematurely.

Robert

azjohn
06-06-2011, 11:04 PM
Why not try and figure a way to operate your press by foot activation. Step on the linkage. Spring return. Then both hands are free to do as you wish.

Westwindmike
06-06-2011, 11:13 PM
Why not try and figure a way to operate your press by foot activation. Step on the linkage. Spring return. Then both hands are free to do as you wish.

I like that idea!

jmorris
06-06-2011, 11:32 PM
I built a pneumatic push through sizer that worked fine it was just too slow for what I needed. I automated a case pro after and turned the setup into a can crusher.

It was pretty much identical to my pneumatic bullet sizer except I didn't add the "flipper".

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o213/jmorrismetal/center.jpg

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o213/jmorrismetal/left.jpg

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o213/jmorrismetal/die.jpg

The feeder works like a childs gumball machine, simple back and forth when the carrage is all the way in the bolt head triggers the ram down and back up.

jmorris
06-06-2011, 11:42 PM
After reading why the one's I have built won't work above...you solve "power" by using larger diameter. Speed is controled by using adjustable exhaust solonoids. You make the die with taper/counter bore for alignment.

I will agree that fingers around one of these is a very bad idea.

W.R.Buchanan
06-07-2011, 09:39 PM
Jmorris: I agree air and fingers is a bad combination.

I was thinking the same thing as azjohn about a foot operated mechinism like a kick press.

I think it would do what he needs and be alot safer.

Randy

jmorris
06-08-2011, 08:59 AM
As easy is it is to automate, if I still had to sit there for every case I wouldn't waist time or money reinventing the wheel, just put a longer handle on the press and call it a day. At least one set of fingers will be safe.