PDA

View Full Version : H&G moulds are JUNK!

MikeS
06-04-2011, 03:43 PM
And if everyone here will agree with that, and say how terrible they are, maybe the eBay prices will come down to the point where I can afford one! :)

Red River Rick
06-04-2011, 05:14 PM
Dreaming never cost anyone anything.................

RRR

Jack Stanley
06-04-2011, 07:51 PM
I doubt that those who have and use them will go along with you dream but as the man said it don't cost ya nothing to dream . Unless of course someone sees your headline and takes that as fightin' words . Should that happen you find it to have been easier to take on a part time job for just long enough to buy the mold . It would be easier than trying to frag a bunch of guys who got nets on the windows and know how to bite back :)

Jack

starreloader
06-04-2011, 08:16 PM
I can only say that buying H&G Moulds is a personal choice that one makes...

Having owned 40+ of the H&G 8 and 10 cav moulds you will never find anyone who has ever used these moulds would call them "JUNK".. Just ain't going to happen!!!!... I still have 11 H&G Moulds and will keep them until I can longer cast..

Sure you can grumble about the prices today but in reality the prices today reflect what guys are willing to pay for excellent quality.... My feeling is "don't pay more then you feel it is worth to you".... If you don't like the price just walk away..

skeettx
06-04-2011, 08:30 PM
I have 18 of the 8 & 10 cavity moulds and they are AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!

madsenshooter
06-04-2011, 08:52 PM
Lots of the suppository molds available!

Blammer
06-04-2011, 10:01 PM
I dunno, I know a guy who bought 3 HG 4C moulds for $75 for all 3 of them... It may be working.

Shooter6br
06-04-2011, 10:10 PM
I will keep my H &G #50 4 cav thank you. "Differant strokes for differant folks"

MikeS
06-05-2011, 02:15 AM
Come on guys, how am I ever going to afford an H&G mould if y'all keep singing their praises? Let everyone know how rotten they really are, so some of those eBay sellers will be happy they got rid of those pieces of junk, and more of us folks that really want one can afford one!

Heck, one eBay kiddie found grandpa's old moulds, and the first time he listed them, he put one of them up with an opening bid of $9.99 and when he got a bunch of money for it! Then he listed one with an opening bid of $500.00 and when it didn't sell, he went down to $399.00 for a 2 cavity mould! I don't recall if it sold, I couldn't believe he went from one extreme to another.

As Blammer said, it might be working, so remember everyone, H&G moulds ain't worth the cast iron they're made out of! (But I'm such a nice guy, I'll pay you twice their cast iron value just to get them out of your way!)

Jack Stanley
06-05-2011, 09:00 AM
OK mike , since I'm such a nice guy I'll offer you a deal on a nice four cavity number one thirty . I'll even give you time to sell your baseball card collection , beer stiens , barbie dolls or even pick up aluminum cans to raise money .

I watch weasel bay too and maybe it's just me but the sellers that start with a low minimum seem to do well when they offer quality stuff and fair shipping .

As for me , I will speak as truthfully as my experiences with H&G products will allow . I will not help you degrade H&G molds . Like the man said if it costs to much walk away from the deal .

Jack

hammerhead357
06-05-2011, 12:44 PM
It all depends on how badley you want them. I have several and may sell some of them to offset some medical costs but they won't be cheap nor free. So Mike I will make you an offer. I have a H & G # 68bbs 4 cavity mould I will sell to you for 250.00 cash and you pay the actual shipping. How about that???? It is in great condition and has cast a very few boolits.. I took it in trade and have cast maybe 500 boolits out of it.......I can post pictures later of it if you are really interested....Money up here.....wes

Shooter6br
06-05-2011, 12:47 PM
Calling all H & G molds junk is like calling the Holy Grail is just a cup.

hammerhead357
06-05-2011, 12:48 PM
Well there you have it. Two offers to sell you moulds. Do you want them???? I also will speak truthfully about H & G moulds they are/were the best ever made and will never be replaced....Wes

MikeS
06-05-2011, 05:51 PM
Jack: Ok, I'll bite, how much do you want for the 130?

Hammerhead: I might take you up on your offer, but this is exactly what I'm talking about. What makes an old H&G mould worth twice what a Mihec mould for the same boolit, same number of cavities? From what I hear Mihec moulds are just as good, dare I say possibly better, so in effect they're the modern day equivalent of an H&G mould, and it's brand new. But having said that, yes please post some pictures of the mould, and if you can some of the boolits it casts, I'm curious how big the enlarged bevel base is on it. Does the enlarged base extend very far into the case, necessitating a much lighter powder charge? The BBS version is different enough from the 'normal' #68 that I am interested.

And for everyone that's getting all bent out of shape at the thought of calling their precious H&G mould junk, lighten up. It's just a mould. I'm sure the mould's feelings aren't hurt by whatever I call it. Now if I was saying bad things about a family member, then those would be fighting words, but a mould?

I've never used an H&G or Mihec mould yet, so I can't really sing the praises of either. I will say that of the moulds I have, the 2 SAECO moulds I have cast better than anything else I have. Preheat them properly, and the boolits just fall from the cavities! They're the only moulds I've ever used that I was able to cast perfect boolits from the very first one, to the very last one, with no rejects at all! One is a very old #12, and the other is a Redding made #69 (plain based version of the #68).

Right now I'm in on the group buy for the Mihec version of the #68, I have the SAECO #69, and even a Lee 2 cavity mould of their interpetation of the #68, so I have quite a few versions of the #68 to choose from, so if I add the 68BBS to the list that would make 4 different moulds of basically the same boolit.

For those that are cringing at the mention of a Lee mould, I have to say it casts great looking boolits, they're round, and shoot as well as the #69's I have cast. Will the mould last as long? not a chance. Is it more work to prep the mould? Yes. But in the end, it's all about the boolits, and it makes fine shooting boolits. I think the big difference between moulds is that the better ones just work, and are more forgiving of casting methods.

Jack Stanley
06-05-2011, 06:34 PM
Well that's right easy Mike , a number thirty-four plain base in the same condition even up . But if H&G is junk , I can't imagine you wanting one anyway . Those makers that have gained the reputation as the best have earned that just as those that have issues with the product . If Mihec is as good for you , it sounds as though you have the problem fixed anyway .

From what I read here , molds are like family to some and it's not unreasonable at all when an inanimate object is given to you by a family member you respect . From what I've seen for the number thirty-four in equal condition , Hammerhead is offering you the best in a new family member for your crowd of sixty-eights . But then after all , it's just a mold , ya know I have a Lee also and you're right the bullets can be shot and the molds are so much cheaper .

Jack

MikeS
06-05-2011, 07:56 PM
Jack:

Ok, obviously you don't understand what I'm saying. I don't believe H&G moulds are junk. I think they're probably some of the finest moulds made. I do believe (from what I've heard) that the Mihec moulds are equal to an H&G mould, but that's another matter. The point I was trying to make, and I see you don't understand what I was saying is that when everyone says how great the H&G moulds are, then it seems like the prices go sky high on eBay, possibly here too. So, if folks were to say how bad they were, then prices would go down.

I don't care how much I like something, how great I think it is, etc. If I can get one cheaper by calling it junk, then junk it is!

And I do understand having something that a family member giving you, and wanting to keep it, if for no other reason than that the family member gave it to you. What I don't understand is actually considering an inanimate object family, but that's just me.

But you still have not answered my question. How much do you want for either your 130 or 34?

Texasflyboy
06-06-2011, 10:57 AM
Heck, one eBay kiddie found grandpa's old moulds, and the first time he listed them, he put one of them up with an opening bid of $9.99 and when he got a bunch of money for it! Then he listed one with an opening bid of $500.00 and when it didn't sell, he went down to $399.00 for a 2 cavity mould! I don't recall if it sold, I couldn't believe he went from one extreme to another.

He ain't a kid. He's been emailing me for some time and I tried to 'splain things to him but the best analogy I can think of is if someone asks you for a match you may want to check to see if they are standing in a barrel of gasoline.

I tried to help and gave up.

Tom in VA

sagamore-one
06-06-2011, 04:36 PM
Well Mr. Mike... you touched a nerve.
If I understand your posts , you are asking me to say things that are absolutely not true just so you can get into an H&G mould for less money than the going price. Do the words honor, integrity ,ethics mean anything to you ?
People who ask what's so special about H&G moulds are people who do not own H&G moulds. My H&G gang moulds are an investment in my son's retirement.

jsizemore
06-06-2011, 05:04 PM
You need to stay off ebay. That will solve the problem.

MikeS
06-06-2011, 05:13 PM
Ok, I thought the :) in my original post would let folks know that it was said in jest. What I don't understand is how saying what I did could as you put it 'touch a nerve'? As I said in an earlier post, if I was saying bad things about your wife, or daughter, I could understand somebody getting all upset. But getting all upset over a piece of cast iron? I just really don't understand that.

As for honor, integrity, ethics, yes, they mean a lot. I think I'm a very honorable person, but honor has nothing to do with saying something originally in jest. I only got more serious about it when folks here started getting all upset that I dared to say such a thing. As for 'the going rate' have you ever heard of artificial inflation? A perfect example is the TV show Mad Money. If you watch that show, when Jim is talking about a particular stock, if he's singing the praises of it, you can watch the ticker that runs on the bottom of the screen and actually see that stocks price rising as he's talking! Is a stock really worth more because one person is saying how great the company is? And not all H&G moulds are such great things, some really are junk, because somebody that didn't know better cleaned all the rust off the mould blocks with a stiff wire wheel. Do you believe that a ruined mould is worth $400.00 just because it has the H&G name on it? I'm sorry, but I don't care how great a mould is, I can't see ANY mould being worth $400.00 or more that some of the H&G moulds are bringing on eBay!

And again, I originally posted the original message in jest (the smiley face should have been a clue), I've already stated in an earlier message that I don't think they're junk, and I'm really sorry if some folks here have no sense of humor.

One thought about your son's retirement, in the times we're living in, I would say that nothing shooting related should be thought of as a long term investment. What happens to the value of any mould when using lead in anything becomes outlawed? Or if they make a law that only jacketed bullets that have serial numbers inside the jacket (or a microchip ID) can be sold? I hope I don't live long enough to see that, but it could happen.

This is the last thing I have to say about this whole thing. I'm really sorry that I posted this thread, I never expected to get the response I did, and I'm over it.

But if those folks that offered to sell me some H&G moulds are serious about it, I would love to see some pix of the moulds, as I do want to eventually get few of them if I can find well maintained ones at reasonable prices. Thanks.

Jack Stanley
06-06-2011, 06:02 PM
Good post Sagamore-one , I couldn't agree more .

Mike ....... the price for the number one thirty I have would be a mould made by Hensley & Gibbs that is the number thirty-four plain base . This would indicate that a trade is what is wanted , I really am not interested in selling it outright . In fact , after careful consideration I withdraw any offer .

Mihec molds have made a lot of people happy from what I read here , it's nice that you have one on order . It's just that easy to buy a H&G mold if you should find the design you want ... it will take more dollars in some cases because Mr. Gibbs hasn't cut a mold in years .

Those who worked to make H&G molds built a reputation with each mold , for some of those workers it was a lifetime of work . I doubt that anyone here has a shrine for their H&G molds but they do apprieciate the workmanship that went into them . There are men on this forum that have a great deal of integrity and will not lie to benefit you or me . I understand what you are trying to do so you can get a product at less than normal price . If that is how you want to do buisiness , I will not stand in your way . What you have seen in my posts and others is a subtle way of trying to coax you out of the strategy you have chosen .

There is a man on this board that could probably tell the selling price for every H&G mold that was on ebay for the last several years . To see the records one might realize that forever is a long time and a good buy does come along .

Have a nice day , Jack

missionary5155
06-06-2011, 07:33 PM
Greetings
I read that title and thought.. "sure is looking for a tussle".. But I read the whole post #1 and figured it out.
I think the Group Buy Molds sold here are every bit as good. So far all my GB molds are flawless and cast as good as any mold I have ever owned or used to include H&G.
Mike in Peru

jsizemore
06-07-2011, 12:02 AM
Mike, you would have done better going into a biker bar and started saying how great rice burners are and Harleys ain't worth the money. Most everyone would laugh it off, but some would send you down the road with your ego bruised.

casterofboolits
06-07-2011, 11:07 AM
It all depends on how badley you want them. I have several and may sell some of them to offset some medical costs but they won't be cheap nor free. So Mike I will make you an offer. I have a H & G # 68bbs 4 cavity mould I will sell to you for 250.00 cash and you pay the actual shipping. How about that???? It is in great condition and has cast a very few boolits.. I took it in trade and have cast maybe 500 boolits out of it.......I can post pictures later of it if you are really interested....Money up here.....wes

H&G #68bbs. Listed as 239 grains in Wheel weights or 226 grains in lino in my 1988 flyer. Intresting! Wouild probably make a good pin boolit.

scrapcan
06-07-2011, 12:53 PM
I caught the humor in the original post, so not comment on quality.

I just want to add I sold one here a few weeks ago to make sure it went to a nice home for not much money. Granted it was an early Geo. A Hensley San Diego marked 2 cavity mould with 1 cavity HP'd and unusual handles. But hey I tried, I only had two people speak up. The first bought it the second wished he had been first. I passed it along because it was one I was not interested in and knew others here would be.

Also the old gent that had it wanted to see his collection go to those who would use them and asked that I facilitate that. I am working on it. He did not gouge me and I am not going that route either per his request.

You just have to be fast to get the good deals. No need to create false advertising, you just don't get to have any sleep!

nooneimportant
06-07-2011, 01:01 PM
I dunno, I know a guy who bought 3 HG 4C moulds for $75 for all 3 of them... It may be working.

Yeah, I'm a bastard.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v498/usacivpol/smelting%20loading/LFP_0002.jpg

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=116659

giz189
06-08-2011, 12:12 AM
Mike, I thought it was funny too. Hard to believe that some folks thought you were serious.

quasi
06-08-2011, 03:30 AM
I can't believe anyone would consider the original post as being serious, either.

MikeS
06-08-2011, 06:13 AM
Mike, I thought it was funny too. Hard to believe that some folks thought you were serious.

It kind of amazed, and stunned me too! I'm glad that there are some folks that understood what I was saying, I was starting to think I was the only person here with a sense of humor! I always assume that when there's a :) in a post that it's meant to be funny, but I've learned that not everyone thinks that way.

hammerhead357
06-08-2011, 12:10 PM
Mike I went in to find the 4 cavity #68 bbs and found out that I left it at home in Texas and here I am in Louisiana working so can't post any pictures of it. Sorry so I will have to withdraw my offer for now and may never present it again. I am in the process of trying to sell all of my H & G moulds to another board member here.
If it wasn't for a lot of medical costs I would not even be considering this but one does what one has to do. By the way this gentleman hasn't even bothered to quibble with me about my asking price. I have delt with him before and he is very honest and truthfull and a delight to do business with.
By the way Skeetx has the other half of my original H & G collection. MY exwife got them in a divorce settelment 16 years ago. Sure wish I still had them......Wes

skeettx
06-09-2011, 02:32 PM
AND I am sure pleased to have them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/MVC-027S19.JPG

nascarkent
06-09-2011, 06:00 PM
Ooooooouch !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SharpsShooter
06-09-2011, 06:26 PM

I can't believe anyone would consider the original post as being serious, either.

I have to say I was surprised as well. I've not read the first post by mike until just now and I could see it was tongue in cheek from the get go.

I like H&G moulds too ya know. Big, cumbersome, awkward...make great doorstops and I like to wedge one in behind the tractor tire to keep it from rolling of the hill...........:D

SS

scrapcan
06-10-2011, 10:28 AM
here is one of the smaller single cavity Geo. A. Henlsey 42247 moulds that is headed to a fellow member in a few days.

Not all of these are huge and cumbersome, some are svelt and petite!

MikeS
06-10-2011, 10:19 PM
Has anyone else here noticed that when they thought I was seriously saying that H&G moulds are junk, I got a couple of offers to sell me moulds, but once other members chimed in, saying that it was easy to see the humor, suddenly all the offers are either withdrawn, or are trades for something I already said I don't have! Kind of makes you wonder.

giz189
06-10-2011, 10:36 PM
AND I am sure pleased to have them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/MVC-027S19.JPG

You Dawg!!!!

bigboredad
06-11-2011, 05:34 AM
I thought your post was funny but I have a sense of humor and understood it more than a joke it was in praise of a fine product. To withdraw a offer over a joke and they want to talk about ethics. kinda makes you think

skeettx
06-11-2011, 02:56 PM
Long story here fellas.

It was either buy the moulds and stuff or have them put into the dumpster. I rescued the moulds and stuff.

Mike

RayinNH
06-11-2011, 06:59 PM
It was either buy the moulds and stuff or have them put into the dumpster. I rescued the moulds and stuff.

Mike

That was a noble thing you did Mike :drinks:...Ray

Jack Stanley
06-11-2011, 10:13 PM
No one has the corner on humor , I'm sure if you allow others to attempt humor on a response you will see more of this . Looking at it from a different angle you might even find it funny .

Skeettx , That is a wonderful thing you did , I'd just love to know what the adoption fee was .

Jack

Jack Stanley
06-11-2011, 10:20 PM
Yeah, I'm a bastard.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v498/usacivpol/smelting%20loading/LFP_0002.jpg

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=116659

I went over and read the thread on this one , what a great example of deals still being found . Congrats !!

Jack

madsenshooter
06-21-2011, 11:28 PM
I've been following this post because I saw what was listed as a Hensley and Gibbs on an auction site. I've got enough junk from Lee, I didn't want to buy anymore junk. So I investigated things a bit more. Things usually go bad when a fellow takes on a partner. Must've been the Gibbs guy made things go sour. Further digging turned up the fact that the mold I was looking at was not a Hensley and Gibbs at all. It was a George Hensley mold made prior to 1940. It's one of those cantankerous Squibb bullets, aka Lyman 311413, B&M 311169, and a host of other aliases. But it has another band forward of the crimp groove and though it might prove me wrong, I think it may shoot a little better and at a higher velocity than the others. George started his business at a time when a lot of people would have been shooting Krag rifles. This extra band was there from the time he started making it, until his 1940 flyer came out. At that time the depression was over and folks could afford those new 30 caliber rifles that had a shorter throat than the Krag. That's probably why the front band disappeared. I've got a Krag rifle or two, and I think this bullet will fit the throat of most of them very good. I'll see. I also have the above mentioned B&M version. It shoots ok up to a max of 1550fps, then quickly loses accuracy. Like a lot of fellows, I've tried a lot of different alloys and powders trying to get it to shoot accurately at a higher speed. I've not been able to and I hope Hensley's version will help me out. Probably not, junk may have been rolling of the line before Gibbs got involved. Manleyjt, I'll bet my 6x45 AR would have really liked that 42247!