PDA

View Full Version : pistol lube

milprileb
06-04-2011, 11:43 AM
For 9mm and 45 acp loads (cast bullets of course), how about telling me what stick lube is good in a Lyman 450 lubrisizer ?

Is this super hard , heated lube, better or just less messy

Which will smoke less please.

Thanks

bhn22
06-04-2011, 11:55 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRLFNEdXOAQ

The powder you use makes a big contribution to smoke, too, it isn't all in the bullet lube.

milprileb
06-04-2011, 12:21 PM
Is 231 a smoker ?

runfiverun
06-04-2011, 12:35 PM
it will, i used to shoot light 231 loads and a hard lube together in cowboy shoots to simulate b/powder smoke.
if you use it near it's top end it cleans up.
many powders will smoke if you get blow by due to several factors, some lubes with alox are smoky [especially in high humidity] and with unique they seem worse.
you can modify a lube to be softer or harder but can't change the ingredients.

stubert
06-04-2011, 12:45 PM
The only lube I use is Lyman orange magic (got a bunch at a gun show years ago) It does need a heaterb ut I use it from 44 spec, 44 mag, 35 rem, 45-70, 458 lott.

06-04-2011, 05:31 PM
Not to say that it is any better than other lubes, and it may be that other lubes are better, but my preference is a 2:1 ratio of Jake's purple ceresin and Jake's 50/50 beeswax/alox. If the ambient temperature is above the mid-70s, heat is not required.

I've used it for all my handgun and rifle loads and it always did it's job. Recently, and for no reason other than just because, I switched rifle lube to the same ratio of Jake's scarlet ceresin and 50/50.

http://www.jakesproducts.com/index.html

357shooter
06-04-2011, 05:36 PM
From White Label Lubes, BAC or 2500+ should work for you. Neither needs a heater.

http://www.lsstuff.com/lube/index.html

Or you could make your own.

Lizard333
06-04-2011, 09:19 PM
I'm using orange magic as well on all my pistols from 38 up to my hot loads for my 44. I have also used it on my 30-30. When I run out I think I'm going to white labels carnuba red. 2 bucks a stick.

Mike W1
06-04-2011, 09:38 PM
My personal favorite is LBT Blue for possibly a couple not too important reasons. I don't stack my bullets in little boxes, they go into plywood boxes and probably hold around 700 of the little buggers. LBT stays put!!!! I use a heater and they then lube easily. I tried a couple other hard lubes and I ran out of patience before the luber got warm enough for them to flow. Being lube per bullet is one of the least of my expenses I'm not interested in anybody elses product. I just hope Veral outlives me so I always have a supply!

MtGun44
06-05-2011, 12:44 AM
LBT soft blue is very nice lube, no heat required, never noticed smoke from it or
from NRA 50-50. I hear some say 50-50 smokes, but I never seem to notice smoke
much at all, maybe just my luck of powder choices or maybe I don't pay enough
attention to smoke, just never seemed like an issue to me. Neithe requires a heater
if temps are normal, but if 50-60F many need a bit of warming to get started in the Lyman.
Warm with a hair dryer or put a 60 watt bulb nearby for 10-15 minutes.

Bill

geargnasher
06-05-2011, 03:07 AM
For one thing, assuming that .45 ACP and 9mm are in the same class can be a mistake. They operate at very different pressures and stresses from each other, and that has an effect on lube requirements. 45/45/10 tumble lube (see sticky in lube forum for explanation) is great for the majority of .45 ACP handguns, but rarely works in 9mm unless the loads are very mild for the caliber.

That being said, anything close to the NRA 50/50 formula should work pretty well in both as long as the boolits fit the gun well and the other components of the load are balanced to work properly with each other.

Gear

HARRYMPOPE
06-05-2011, 03:12 AM
LBT soft or any NRA formula will work for both equally well

HMP

milprileb
06-05-2011, 08:27 AM
Now that would shed light why LLA is doing fine with my 45acp loads and I am getting leading with my 9mm loads. That your point
of 9mm being a different requirement for lube than 45acp. I may find LLA will handle some 45acp and is not ideal for my 9mm shooting.

However, I do experience one variable and that is in 9mm, stick lube via Lyman 450 still yields bullets in 9imm that lead.

My next phase: size no more at .356. Start at .357 with stick lube and see if that solves the leading in 9mm loads. I will play around with alloys of metal too. This next phase will not be pure ww metal but 1.5# lead to a ten pound pot of ww metal.

Since I get leading regardless of LLA or stick lube bullets, I think the advice to change sizing of bullets offered the past few weeks is going to get me onto dry land shortly.

I am still water quenching with this new alloy. If sizing and lube does not solve leading then I will go to air cooling with 9mm bullets

Thanks to members for all help so far

1Shirt
06-05-2011, 08:33 AM
I use one lube for rifle and handgun. White Lable canuba red. Does take heat, but a thrift shop hair drier works fine.
1Shirt!:coffee:

44man
06-05-2011, 08:58 AM
I use one lube for rifle and handgun. White Lable canuba red. Does take heat, but a thrift shop hair drier works fine.
1Shirt!:coffee:
Maybe the best lube for many calibers but like said, it needs some heat. I keep it in my lube sizer for boolits that need that sizer.
For Lee sizers I use Felix.
LBT soft blue is super.
Lyman orange magic is brittle and breaks out of boolits unevenly. Would you remove a WW from your car?

milprileb
06-05-2011, 09:11 AM
If you use Carnuba Red and LBT , are you using separate lube sizing tools or is there some magic way to pull the red out easy. ON my Lyman 450, once that stick is in the system, it is not easy to get out unless one wants to heat and melt it out. I am not keen to do so. Is that what you guys do when you switch from one stick lube to another.

If you use multiple lube sizing tools; then it makes more sense and that is a step
up phase in cost that is not at my reach right now. Ideally...perfect world: its a technique !

jmsj
06-05-2011, 09:41 AM
milprileb,
Not a stick lube but I have been having great success with Felix lube (FWFL). I have had success with this lube in 38 Spec., 45ACP (low bullseye loads to +P pressure levels), 44 Spec and 44 Mag, 45 Colt (standard and Ruger pressure levels) and some 30/30 loads.
The only time I have smoke issues is when the pressure levels are low. Once the pressure comes up the smoke issue goes away. So I would say that, in my case, the smoke is a powder issue and not a lube issue.
I followed the directions in the "stickies" and added the optional carnuba. On my third batch I wanted it a little stiffer, less sticky and red in color so I added some red crayons till I got the the consistency I was looking for. I liked this batch so well I made another huge batch that will last me for years. My concoction will still feed without heat.
Good luck, jmsj

ColColt
06-05-2011, 04:01 PM
I recently located a couple tubes of old Lyman black looking lube -maybe graphite/moly lube. I don't recall the results from it as last time I used it was in the late 70's. How do ya'll feel about it or have ever used it? I thought of giving it a shot again to see how it performs.

milprileb
06-05-2011, 04:25 PM
I had some of the Lyman black stuff: I found it adequate but not as good as LBT blue lube and the black stuff is quite messy to use. Had to heat it a lot to get it to work well and if I ran across it again, I would double time away from it even if on sale. I used the whole stick but its not something I want to live thru again.

MtGun44
06-05-2011, 05:50 PM
I'll say it again - small and hard are a bad combo. Either can work without the
other, but together - bad news. I think if you EITHER go to .357 or stop water
dropping, you will have an improved chance. BOTH changes will probably do it for
you along with a good lube.

Bill