PDA

View Full Version : Zinc in 'linotype'

MikeS
06-03-2011, 10:27 PM
Hi All.

I just bought a batch of 'linotype' that was bunches of odd shaped pieces, along with the usual lines of type. Most of the odd shaped pieces were advertisements that were printed in the newspaper, and look like they're 2 layers of lead attached together. Well, as the bunch was so odd shaped I figured it would be easier to deal with if I melted it all together, and cast it into ingots. So I threw it all into my cast iron skillet, and put it on the turkey fryer, and fired it up. Not being wheel weights I wasn't concerned about temp as I figured I didn't have to lookout for any zinc weights I might have missed. When it was all melted down, and fluxed I started pouring ingots, and as soon as I did I noticed the lead was acting funny, the same kind of funny as the batch of WW's that were contaminated with zinc! So, I only poured one mould full, and shut down the fryer. When it cooled down I tested one of the ingots with some acid I got just for that purpose, and sure enough, it fizzed like crazy! So I went over to the few pieces I hadn't put into the pot (I ran out of room in the skillet), and the lines & spacers were fine, but sure enough, those advertising slugs fizzed worse than the ingots did!

So I guess this is a warning to folks buying 'linotype' that if it has irregularly shaped slugs that look like 2 pieces attached together, BEWARE! Test them before you poison a whole pot full of good lino like I did! The real kick in the pants is I can't even complain to the seller, as he was just selling what he thought was all linotype lead, after all, it did come from a printing plant, was used for printing, so it must be lino, right? I did go ahead and warn him about it, and told him to check future lots of lino that he sells. I'm still going to buy from him, he sells plates of stereotype, and I'm sure those are good lead, and I'm sure the pigs of lead he's selling are probably fine too, he didn't make the pigs, and the old time printers that did I'm sure knew enough to keep zinc out of their lead!

Defcon-One
06-03-2011, 11:34 PM
Not sure if it was Zinc or something else.

What I do know is that Linotype melts at 462 degres Fahrenheit so why run it up to 700+ where Zinc melts?

Sorry you lost some good metal and thanks for the warning.

The lesson here is, temperature always matters!

bumpo628
06-04-2011, 12:13 AM
Do you have any pictures of the offending pieces?

Fritz D
06-04-2011, 11:53 AM
As a printer and former Linotype operator, I'd also be interested in pics of the "odd shaped pieces."

Typecaster
06-04-2011, 12:04 PM
And don't buy old halftones (photos) or ads that have a layer of metal attached to plywood thinking that the metal is linotype…it's zinc.

Richard

MikeS
06-04-2011, 03:54 PM
And don't buy old halftones (photos) or ads that have a layer of metal attached to plywood thinking that the metal is linotype…it's zinc.

Richard

Neither did I. They were attached to another piece of metal, not wood, and mixed in with actual linotype. Not being a printer, I didn't realize they would be anything but a form of type metal (lead), but have since learned!

MikeS
06-04-2011, 04:08 PM
As a printer and former Linotype operator, I'd also be interested in pics of the "odd shaped pieces."

Ok, here are some pix. The first one is just the pieces, then second one shows acid bubbling on just the halftone, and the last one I tried to capture acid bubbling on all the pieces, but it's kind of hard to see. And to answer the person that asked why it was melted so hot, well, I don't know about anyone else's turkey fryer, but mine doesn't hold temp that precisely, and I didn't think I had anything to worry about, so I turned it on, went away for a few minutes, then went back to it to flux and pour into ingots, and by then it was too late. Luckily it all didn't fit into my skillet, so I still have a few pounds that I can use (although not much by the time I remove all the zinc bits)

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/imagehosting/thum_177914dea8ff8e65f5.jpg (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=1079)http://castboolits.gunloads.com/imagehosting/thum_177914dea9019cbb5f.jpg (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=1080)http://castboolits.gunloads.com/imagehosting/thum_177914dea903909dda.jpg (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=1081)

bumpo628
06-04-2011, 05:11 PM
Those are some funny looking pieces. I've never seen anything like that in my bucket of monotype.
Thanks for posting.

Fritz D
06-04-2011, 06:37 PM
It also can be copper (I think steel is used too).

Linotypes are not capable of casting anything like the blocks in your picture. Too bad about your melt.

MikeS
06-04-2011, 10:42 PM
If you look at the piece that's a guy's portrait, above his head you can see the backing metal. I didn't test it, but I think it might actually be lead. Would there be times when zinc is glued to lead? Also, what is that purple? Is it the residue of ink?

dieguy59
06-07-2011, 08:31 PM
MikeS, I'm owner of some similiar chunks. A friend saw your post and suggested I test my stash. Now that I know forsure, do I risk a temp controled smelt, should I try and chisel the offending alloy of first?

Sorry if this is a hi-jack.

MikeS
06-08-2011, 06:46 AM
I would test your chunks, and it they have zinc in them, dispose of them pronto! The problem with many folks that sell linotype metal, but aren't printers is they think any printing metal is linotype! Sometimes that works to your advantage, sometimes not (as in my last case). I've bought monotype that was being sold as linotype, and it worked great. Right now on eBay there's a guy selling foundry type for $3.00/lb, but he knows what he has, but is still selling it fairly cheap. I wish I had the money to buy all he has, but I dont :(