PDA

View Full Version : LBT Glue On Patch?

Canuck Bob
06-03-2011, 06:06 PM
Veral talks about using computer labels as Glue On Patches, GOP, in his writing. I tried a search but came up short.

Basically he uses self stick labels and single wraps with a straight longitudinal seam for the patch. He advises to let the patch dry for a day or two to shrink and harden up then lightly lube with his lube of course. He suggests a warm sheet and a light smear of lube on it followed by rolling the bullet. He trims the patch even with the bullet base normally. He says the patch will not ride to target due to muzzle blast.

I found a reference to this type of PP on the Cast Pic article page regarding PP bullets. Author had reasonable results it seems.

Anyone here tried this and have any advice or concerns?

bbqncigars
06-03-2011, 11:13 PM
This will inevitably lead to the Dayglo Post-it patch. ;-)

303Guy
06-03-2011, 11:17 PM
I've read about that. I have not tried it myself. Those stick on labels come away with their adhesive still on the label so I suppose it could work. I would hazzard a guess that the patch itself would need to stay intact down the bore, by which I mean it may not crumble and expose the sticky stuff to the bore. That might explain why a single wrap is required.

CJR
06-04-2011, 11:33 AM
Canuck Bob,

About a year ago, I had Veral Smith make a 4-cavity 150 gr. LBT LFN for my 308Win. He called me to clarify what I wanted and during that conversation we talked about my PP efforts/failures. He recommended mixing water and glue together to wet the PP before wrapping. Likewise, he mentioned keeping the solution in a container until using it again. So that's what I've been using with good results. I just got back from the range after trying my first 3000+ fps loads which I'll document on another tread today.

Best regards,

CJR

Canuck Bob
06-04-2011, 12:54 PM
Canuck Bob,

About a year ago, I had Veral Smith make a 4-cavity 150 gr. LBT LFN for my 308Win. He called me to clarify what I wanted and during that conversation we talked about my PP efforts/failures. He recommended mixing water and glue together to wet the PP before wrapping. Likewise, he mentioned keeping the solution in a container until using it again. So that's what I've been using with good results. I just got back from the range after trying my first 3000+ fps loads which I'll document on another tread today.

Best regards,

CJR

I'll be looking for that report! Veral's a character of sorts but he does know cast bullets and guns. Once I slug my LE No5 rifle I'll get him to make me a PP mould. I'm thinking one of his LCFN or Spitzer types. I've decided to start the No5 on PP and learn from there.

CJR
06-04-2011, 01:35 PM
Canuk Bob,

The LBT LFN mould, that Veral made for me, was a standard size that I could use for greased GC bullets or size it down for PPCB.

Best regards,

CJR

wallenba
06-04-2011, 01:54 PM
Sounds like something to try. "Pinking" shears might allow a tighter seam than a straight edge too.

XWrench3
06-26-2011, 09:11 AM
This will inevitably lead to the Dayglo Post-it patch.

that was my first paper patches. it actually worked pretty good! dont knock it till you try it! lol.