PDA

View Full Version : How long will dried peppers last"

Changeling
06-03-2011, 05:07 PM
Before I got really interested in "Peppers", I ordered 5 lbs of dried Jalepaneos ! Health problems kept me from ever trying them. They have been kept in a spare bedroom for the last 6 years in the origanial baging.

Are these peppers any good? How would I tell? That sums it up totally.:violin:

Jim
06-03-2011, 05:20 PM
Janet says if they're still dry, no mold or mildew showing and they're still crumbly, they're still good.

Shiloh
06-03-2011, 08:15 PM
Can't see them going bad. Unless of course they had become wet.

Shiloh

PatMarlin
06-04-2011, 12:29 PM
Cool and dry. THat's the key with all foods canned and dried in containers.

I've got a locker- full of containers with dried chantrels, morrels, all kinds of picked dried mushrooms given to me 15 years ago, and they are still wonderful.

Dale in Louisiana
06-04-2011, 01:29 PM
"Bad" is a relative term. They won't KILL you, but they will have lost some of the sparkle and flavor of last year's batch.

That's the rule of thumb: A batch of dried peppers is good for one season, then you dry a fresh batch.

And if you dry your best, looking, mature peppers, theyll provide seed for the enxt spring.

dale in louisiana

oneokie
06-04-2011, 02:11 PM
Storing them in air tight containers with Oxygen Absorbers in the freezer, they will last several years.

Changeling
06-04-2011, 04:58 PM
"Bad" is a relative term. They won't KILL you, but they will have lost some of the sparkle and flavor of last year's batch.

That's the rule of thumb: A batch of dried peppers is good for one season, then you dry a fresh batch.

And if you dry your best, looking, mature peppers, theyll provide seed for the enxt spring.

dale in louisiana

Thanks, that says about all one can on the subject!

Changeling
06-04-2011, 05:09 PM
Thanks to all, I see where you are coming from ( I think) and will adhere to your advise.
It is very hard to figure out everything, especially when one is not a cook. Sometimes the things you guys say just go right over my head!