PDA

View Full Version : Alittle more Load development for my 35.303

Jacko.357
06-03-2011, 06:08 AM
Went to the Range today to try a couple of loads I put together for my 35.303 through the week

I used a Lyman 358315 mould that a very generous Gentleman Loaned me - thanks very much - really appreciate it. Straight Wheel weight Lead which I dropped into a bucket of cool water and allowed to sit for a month or so. They should have been somewhere around 18 BHN. They weigh 208 grains and are a Gas check projectile that I sized using a Lee .358 sizing die. The Gas check was fitted when I sized the projectiles and then I pan lubed them

I mixed 2 different Bullet Lubes, the first was a Bee's Wax, Parrafin, Carnuba Wax and Auto Transmission Fluid mix.

The 2nd Lube was Lee Alox, Parrafin and STP Oil treatment

Why - I was unsure of the suitability of either bullet lube for my needs so I thought it best too try both with the same powder charge to see if one was any better than the other or if both where no good.

I used 3 times fired cases that I have only neck sized. The projectile was lightly crimped in place but the Neck Tension was such that this was probably unnecessary. I got the impression that by chance the tapered expander in my Die set is just the right diameter to open the case neck so the Cast projectiles seat firmly but not a tight enough to size the projectile down a little more

Up until this point I had used 44 grains of AR2208 under a 225 gr Sierra Gameking which the Rifle loves, very accurate load. It's also quite a mild load. I have no interest in pushing this SMLE any harder but I'm sure it will handle a stiffer load without digestion problems.

The Cast Bullet load used 38 grains of AR2208 [ Varget ] under the 208 grain gc Cast bullet. I knew it would be a light load but I was being cautious as I figured it will still be doing 1900 + fps and I was leary of Leading the barrel if the Lube was no good. AR2208 [ Varget ] fills the case well so I was not worried about it falling away from the primer.

Here's 2 10 shot groups, the one on the left with the Alox lube , the Right the ATF lube, not much in them but I like the shape of the Alox group better.

http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff55/jackoarcher/35303castbulletloaddevelopment.jpg

As expected the 38 gr load was light, the case necks did not expand and seal well as the odd case had a bit of soot around it and the primers indicated a light load also. Overall I am happy with the potential this Rifle is showing with this off the Shelf Cast Bullet Mould. Ideally I would like to shoot 250 gr Cast Bullet from this Rifle at around 2000 fps.

Mountain Moulds http://www.mountainmolds.com/ have a design programe thats fun to play with and Cast Bullet Engineering http://www.castbulletengineering.com/page0041.html in Sydney list a Mould that looks just about ideal for my needs - just gotta save a little more and I'll be right. In the mean while the 358315 mould seems well worthwhile and I can see I'll buy my own soon enough.

Next range session will use stiffer loads and the Alox STP, Parrifin lube. I have also been wondering about biting the bullet and simply using a commercial lube - but I'm a DIY fella

regards Jacko

Wayne Smith
06-03-2011, 07:34 AM
I do believe you are on to something, Sir! Looks good. What range (distance)?

Jacko.357
06-03-2011, 09:13 AM
Only 50 metre's Wayne and off a wobbly Bipod with no rear support on the stock and from a spotless bore so each group needed a couple of foulers. So no great shakes on group size but I now have a base to begin fine tuning from. With the Gamekings this Rifle is a capable sub MOA performer.

I've been shooting commercial Hardcasts from my Levers for a while and the Bores stay very clean but they are a coated projectile. I have thousands on hand but the .357 and .44 are next with Homecasts.

I should not have been amazed but the Bore on my SMLE had no leading, not a bit and come clean with a patch soaked in a few of drops of Metho and then a couple of dry patches - I like these cast bullets.

regards Jacko

Beerd
06-03-2011, 01:04 PM
Jacko
Very good. I too am a fan of the 35 caliber bullet.
For a make it yourself lube that will perform quite well in your application try "Felix Lube".

1Shirt
06-08-2011, 11:03 PM
Sounds like a great ctg. Keep us posted on results.
1Shirt!::coffeecom

Larry Gibson
06-08-2011, 11:40 PM
When developing a cast bullet load for my M91 Mauser rebarreled to .35 Remington I tried the 358315 six ways from sunday and never could get it to shoot above 1750 fps, just too much nose hanging out there unsupported. I switched to the RCBS 35-200-FN and had instant succes. The target below shows 3 five shot groups all of the same load at 2150 fps. The group in the 9 ring at 3:30 is the 1st group at 100 yards. Made a sight change and shot the group in the 9 ring at 6:00 for zero. Went up 6 mos on the rear sight and shot the bottom group at 200 yards.

Larry Gibson

paul edward
06-09-2011, 01:47 AM
Went to the Range today to try a couple of loads I put together for my 35.303 through the week

Is that a new barrel or did you have a SMLE barrel bored and rifled?

The 35/303 sounds like a short version of the old .35 Winchester.

303Guy
06-09-2011, 01:55 AM
That it seems to be! The 35 Winchester has a case length of 2.4" and the 303 Brit 2.22" so the 35-303 would be a tad shorter than that. One wonders whether the 303 Brit was based on that cartridge? The 30-40 too?

Euan
06-09-2011, 05:06 AM
Ideally I would like to shoot 250 gr Cast Bullet from this Rifle at around 2000 fps.

Mountain Moulds http://www.mountainmolds.com/ have a design programe thats fun to play with and Cast Bullet Engineering http://www.castbulletengineering.com/page0041.html in Sydney list a Mould that looks just about ideal for my needs - just gotta save a little more and I'll be right. In the mean while the 358315 mould seems well worthwhile and I can see I'll buy my own soon enough.

Jacko, I have a CBE 358 250 Gas check mold and it does very well in my rebored martini 35/303. It went much better than my lyman 358315. Jim makes a very good mold and he is not too far from you.
Cheers Euan.