PDA

View Full Version : Crossdraw 1911 holster.

DanWalker
06-03-2011, 12:14 AM
Do such creatures exist? I am baffled as to how anyone rides in a car or sits in a chair with a handgun behind their hip. I'm looking for a crossdraw holster with a thumb break that will fit a Kimber ultra carry.

Dutchman
06-03-2011, 03:27 AM
Bianchi Cyclone. The early ones were cross-draw only. Later production made them for strong side and cross-draw with 2 sets of belt loops. The one I had for the Colt Gov't was an early one that was cross-draw only.

Dutch

Artful
06-03-2011, 03:32 AM
They exist - just google 'em - but it may not solve your problem...- I tried crossdraw for a number of years but depending upon situation it doesn't make it any easier in a vehicle - now mounting a holster to the vehicle does work pretty well. Best if it out of sight, and in a place where you can reach without stretching too much.

MtGun44
06-03-2011, 03:09 PM
Tried crossdraw, didn't work for me any time other than sitting in a car with a jacket on.

Try a GOOD, wide base IWB in a Commander length gun. For the full length 1911, I'm just
a touch to short from my belt to the seat of a chair, the muzzle pinches meat or pushes up
the belt. Commander length works fine. I can wear it all day in the car (have many times)
in decent comfort with the right holster in the right place. Try the Milt Sparks Versamax 2
just barely behind the point of the hip, the grip pulls up tight into the hollow in my back there,
and it all just really works for me. The front attach point is cut away to let it wrap in front of
the hip bone with comfort, and the angle is JUST right - for many folks.

Two more points: First - Clint Smith says that carrying a handgun is supposed to be comforting,
not necessarily comfortable. Good holsters help a lot.

Second - Sad to say that the VM2 is so good that it has a 6 month waiting period, and are fairly
expensive, but absolutely top quality and super durable. Sparks also has one which is very similar
to VM2, a touch thinner but less easy to reholster, something like Watch 6 or similar name.

Bill

spqrzilla
06-05-2011, 02:01 PM
Check out the Galco Cop 3 holster. It has a slot system that will do either strong side or a vertical crossdraw.

cajun shooter
06-08-2011, 11:23 AM
You did not say the reason you were wanting a cross draw over another type. The standard cross draw worn on your hip would be very hard to use if seated in a car. The steering wheel would be a big problem. If seated in a vehicle the holster of choice is the shoulder holster that carries the gun in a vertical position. It will be high enough so that the wheel is not a problem and as I found out from using this type of carry as a LEO you add the mags to the other side to help balance the weight.

songdog53
06-12-2011, 10:50 AM
There is what is called CarJacker holster for 1911, sorry at moment can't remember who makes it but is made to be more comfortable when doing lot of driving. I use shoulder holster if going to be doing lot of driving with 1911. Also strong side carry while driving is almost impossible to get weapon put with seat belt in place.

Groo
06-12-2011, 12:19 PM
Groo here
For a cross draw go to Simple Rugged , but the other option is a Safe Packer.
The packer can be put on the seatbelt and the gun placed in it..
Just transfer when moving to or from car...

Three44s
06-12-2011, 12:21 PM
A +1 for the Bianchi Cyclone holster!!

I carry my Smith MG in one but use it strong side.

I am not a good example for car seats however ............ I'm a south paw and most guns just ride out over the edge of the seat as long as I'm driving!

Three 44s

BoolitBill
06-12-2011, 03:36 PM
I like the El Paso Saddlery's Double Agent model. Check out their offerings:

http://www.epsaddlery.com/c-24-crossdraw.aspx