PDA

View Full Version : making a mold round

Harpman
12-29-2006, 08:33 PM
I have a saeco and a lyman mold, not exactly round, I have read the sticky on this...anyone else have any other ways of just rounding out a mold ?

MT Gianni
12-29-2006, 08:48 PM
How far out of round is it? The easiest way is to beagle it and run it through a round sizing die. Gianni.

Harpman
12-30-2006, 01:30 AM
.002-.003...Ok, I found how to do it, just needed to read more

lovedogs
12-30-2006, 10:42 PM
A couple years ago I got a Saeco mould that was casting bullets very slightly out-of-round. It wasn't much at all. In fact, they shot great. But I didn't like the idea so I called them and asked them if they could fix it. They had me return it. They made me a new mould and it's absolutely perfect. They were even considerate enough to ask what diameter I wanted the bullets to drop out at with the alloy I was using. So, why mess around with trying to jerry-rig it yourself when they'll stand behind their product that well?

Harpman
12-30-2006, 10:57 PM
There is no point !.I think I will just send it back...the wide part is where the joint is.

versifier
12-31-2006, 12:29 PM
I have one .30cal mould that casts a bit (.004) out of round. But it also drops an oversized boolit (.311x.315). When they go through the sizer, they all come out round and exactly at .310, (thanks to Buckshot for the push-through), so unless the smaller dimension is less than what you are sizing to, what difference does it make? To me, in my situation, none at all.

Harpman
12-31-2006, 01:37 PM
on mine I wanted to see how the larger sizes shoot..not that I NEED anything, its a want thing..I already been sizing them,and they come round.. curious though if a little bit bigger might shoot even better.