PDA

View Full Version : Unique thur a Hornady Pistol Measure.

Shooter6br
06-02-2011, 09:27 PM
Bought 4 lbs of Unique in December. It measured lighter in my Hornady Pistol Powder measure, I just looked at the bushing chart and Herco according to the chart was exactly the measurements of the the Unique i am using. . In other words the Unique(new) drops like it is actually Herco powder . How can you tell the differance between Herco and Unique (visually) ?

Doby45
06-02-2011, 11:19 PM
Never trust a chart that says a specific volumetric measure will throw the exact charge they list for a given powder. Those charts are to get you in the "ballpark" you still need to fine tune the exact size bushing you need. So if you opened the can brand new I would not be concerned that someone has "switched" your powder.

This is Unique

http://i55.tinypic.com/el8sw5.jpg

Shooter6br
06-03-2011, 06:56 AM
I always check my charges. It may be Unique but the old Unique was always within a tenth of was the chart indicated. The charges match the chart for Herco. Next time may go to universal not unique .Thanks for your reply I called Alliant to see what they have to say. Probably the same thing as your answer. Without Herco to visually compare too cant be sure. The rate is very close to each other Some say within 1 grain. Safe to use Unique data anyway

Shooter6br
06-03-2011, 07:18 AM
Unique vs Herco Herco chart is the results i get with the "Unique' i bought. Coincidence? i dont beleive in coincidence.

Shooter6br
06-03-2011, 07:23 AM
Seems a bit strange maybe not?

Shooter6br
06-03-2011, 07:36 AM
My chart vs Hornady chart # 16 Unique should throw 7.5 grains. Look at what Herco throws. 6.2

Doc Highwall
06-03-2011, 12:21 PM
Do not forget lot to lot variation and moisture content will affect the weight of a set volume. As long as you are not using a max charge I would not worry about it.

mdi
06-03-2011, 12:33 PM
Like Doby45 stated, bushing type (and dippers) are "ball park" at best. Too many variables to mfg. a bushing that will consistantly drop an exact measure of powder. Humidity and different lots come to mind. One manufacturer says "xx number of ccs of XX powder should weigh zz grains". Mebbe, in his temp and humidity controlled lab using the specific lot of powder. But for me in good old wet Oregon, no way...

Shooter6br
06-03-2011, 02:00 PM
Just seem strange that the Herco chart for the bushings are exactly what i get using "Unique" powdr. Went to the range 38 special Mod 10 and the 45 acp Mod25 shot as good as i can hold. Hands seemed dirtier than "Clean Unique" More like dirty Herco. Well i will use it up and go back to Universal powder

RugerSP101
06-04-2011, 11:40 AM
Unique vs Herco Herco chart is the results i get with the "Unique' i bought. Coincidence? i dont beleive in coincidence.

Wait.
So is Alliant Unique the same thing as Hercules Unique?

RugerSP101
06-04-2011, 11:45 AM
Just seem strange that the Herco chart for the bushings are exactly what i get using "Unique" powdr. Went to the range 38 special Mod 10 and the 45 acp Mod25 shot as good as i can hold. Hands seemed dirtier than "Clean Unique" More like dirty Herco. Well i will use it up and go back to Universal powder
When I first started reloading last year I let someone on another forum talk me into undercharging my loads the first time. I have used Unique from day one but those early rounds left my gun covered in soot and unburned powder flakes all over the bench.
I came home, made up some more rounds using the charge suggested in the recipe I had and went back out to the range and it was entirely different. My Ruger rarely needs much of a cleaning at all now and I never find unburned powder anymore.
:)

RugerSP101
06-04-2011, 11:48 AM
Do not forget lot to lot variation and moisture content will affect the weight of a set volume. As long as you are not using a max charge I would not worry about it.
Agreed.

Mike W1
06-04-2011, 09:44 PM
My weighed charges never corresponded too closely with the old Pacific chart which is what my measure is branded FWIW. But I never load towards the top end and I do KNOW what my particular bushing throws with a given container of Unique.

BTW Hornady has those bushings available yet today and I just ordered a couple a couple days ago!