PDA

View Full Version : Chili Powder? What do you use as a "Base"?

Changeling
06-02-2011, 04:23 PM
From the other post I made on whats a good chile recipe I learned a lot and I thank everyone. Since then I have made a LOT of chili (Even Texas chili).
For what it's worth I also lost about 4 lbs! Not sure if it was all the sweating from the chili or what, but my body says thanks also!

One thing I learn't quite fast was that the "Chili Powder" base one used to build upon the recipe was probably the most important thing. I used what was available to me at my local FoodLion and SAM's warehouse.

I don't want to name brands, law suits!! But you can figure it out!

Question: I haven't really used any of the custom/semi custom "Chili Powders" but have used Tones, McCormic, and some store brands. It is absolutely amazing what difference there is in these mixtures! So therin lies the question

Who makes a really great Chili Powder? I hear names like Gebharts, Pendery's, and others, but I simply don't know anything about them.
You guys are the masters of "CHILI", so give me some insigt on where/what i should purchase?:???:

Junior1942
06-02-2011, 04:52 PM
Adams. (1) it's in a large size (16.82 oz) at the big box stores; (2) it's good chili powder; (3) it's made in Texas.

pmeisel
06-02-2011, 05:37 PM
My wife likes Carroll Shelby's. It's good, although I usually doctor it a little if I am cooking.

If I am going scratch, I will use whatever I have and taste as I blend. Really good chile powder is mostly ground, roasted dry chile pepper. A lot of commercial brands have lots of ground cumin. Nothing wrong with cumin, but you can buy it separate, so I like mostly chile taste, and add cumin as I like it.

Gotta find a new source every time I move, and it looks like I'm moving again.

Colorado4wheel
06-02-2011, 09:51 PM
Find a REAL Spice Shop. Not a Grocery Store.

Changeling
06-03-2011, 04:31 PM
My wife likes Carroll Shelby's. It's good, although I usually doctor it a little if I am cooking.

If I am going scratch, I will use whatever I have and taste as I blend. Really good chile powder is mostly ground, roasted dry chile pepper. A lot of commercial brands have lots of ground cumin. Nothing wrong with cumin, but you can buy it separate, so I like mostly chile taste, and add cumin as I like it.

Gotta find a new source every time I move, and it looks like I'm moving again.

So where do you buy your (Really Good) ground and roasted chili peppers and anything else i should get while I'm buying?

I would prefer your route as oposed to just the "Mixture", that way if you make a slight mistake one can back up and pursue a new route/mixture without blowing a lot of money? Makes sense to me!:bigsmyl2:

exile
06-03-2011, 05:19 PM
My family uses "Williams" chili seasoning, I am the hold-out, I use Watkins chili powder, cumin and cook the meat with onions as it cooks. After that, I guess anything you add will probably taste good. I got the "cumin" idea from a guy who was a cook in a pretty decent restaurant, and have liked it ever since.

exile

LIMPINGJ
06-04-2011, 06:14 PM
penderys.com has what you need.

pmeisel
06-07-2011, 09:15 AM
Changeling, I bought the last batch at a place up north -- in bulk -- several years ago. I am out looking again now as that's gone and I am filling in with several other things -- Carroll Shelby's cause the wife likes it, whatever looks good at the grocery store, sometimes Tony Chachere's...

The thing to remember is that whatever you put in, it all winds up as a blend, so a little more of this and a little less of that approach will work.

There used to be a mail order outfit, Jane Butel's or something like that, that had some good stuff too. They may still be around, I haven't looked.

Changeling
06-07-2011, 05:21 PM
Changeling, I bought the last batch at a place up north -- in bulk -- several years ago. I am out looking again now as that's gone and I am filling in with several other things -- Carroll Shelby's cause the wife likes it, whatever looks good at the grocery store, sometimes Tony Chachere's...

The thing to remember is that whatever you put in, it all winds up as a blend, so a little more of this and a little less of that approach will work.

There used to be a mail order outfit, Jane Butel's or something like that, that had some good stuff too. They may still be around, I haven't looked.

pmeisel, I found Jane Butel's web site, she caries some very impressive credentials plus all her powders are pure (no salt added).

Also checked out Pendery's and Gebgarts they seem to be the chili champions major chili blend component.

I'm one of those people who procrastinate on almost everything so I'll have to give this some thought, I hate to buy all three, that kets a little expensive :shock:

I'll let you and the other guys know, also I appreciate your and everyone else's input.