PDA

View Full Version : .303 boolits?

lxvnrsw
06-02-2011, 03:29 PM
Hey guys,

Any luck shooting these?: http://www.gardnerscache.com/303brit_190_lrn_g_c.html
Load data, seating depth, range reports?

I just got a no4 mk1 and am getting into reloading at the same time. Since I'm a college student and cash is tight, I'm looking for some cheap bullets to run through it too so quite naturally I turned to cast bullets. I'm not quite ready to jump into casting my own, but do you guys have any other readily available (and cheap) bullets you'd recommend? Please include load data too....

madsenshooter
06-02-2011, 03:54 PM
I recommend right away, something bigger. Yes, they'll go bang, and come out the other end of the pipe, but will only frustrate you with a lack of accuracy and perhaps a leaded up barrel to boot. First thing to do is slug your barrel and see just what size you do need, perhaps then you can do some shopping. A relatively inexpensive and moderate kicking jacketed bullet would be the .310 diameter, 123gr, Hornady V-max available from Graf's. http://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/category/categoryId/921? I found it best to stay close to 7.62x39 speeds, accuracy deteriorates above that speed.

lxvnrsw
06-02-2011, 04:02 PM
Interesting. Most guys I've talked to are saying that the no. 4's like bullets in the 180 grain range so I figured a 190 grain gas checked bullet wouldn't be too far off. I'll have to give those 123gr v max bullets a try.

BruceB
06-02-2011, 04:41 PM
It's not the weight, it's the diameter. .311 is simply too small for about 99.9% of the .303 rifles out there.

Even .314" is too small for a lot of them. I have a new NOE mould which drops the bullets at .316, and I intend to give these a trial UN-SIZED, meaning, at the size they fall from the mould.

Under-size bullets are among the primary causes of poor accuracy and bore leading.

caseyboy
06-02-2011, 07:44 PM
I have 3 different 303 brits and they all shoot .315 beautifully. Any smaller, and problems start.:drinks:

Bloodman14
06-02-2011, 08:47 PM
Once you get your barrel slugged, send me a PM; I have some NOE 316299s I will sell at $12.00/100, shipped. Gotta cast some more!

06-02-2011, 10:38 PM
Don't buy any cast boolits till you slug the barrel and know its groove size -- measured with a micrometer, not a caliper. Once you've done that, select a boolit that is .001" to .002" over the groove dimension.

Best source for cast loads is any Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook or Reloading Handbook.

lxvnrsw
06-03-2011, 10:33 AM
Well I guess I'd better get to slugging my barrel then. Anyone here recommend what size lead ball I start out with?

Canuck Bob
06-04-2011, 11:55 AM
Well I guess I'd better get to slugging my barrel then. Anyone here recommend what size lead ball I start out with?

I bought a cheap assortment pack of lead egg sinkers from the fishing shop. They work great and are sized for everything I own. Make sure they are lead, they had some zinc too. Soft lead will swage down easily so a little big is perfect. Some oil or grease and a 1/4 inch rod wrapped with tape to not scratch anything and lite taps with a plastic hammer worked like a charm. Just be sure you don't hit your rifle with a steel hammer or punch! Some guys use dowels but I've seen warnings about them splitting and jamming solid. That is why I used a tape wrapped steel rod to tap out my slug. You can also slug the throat and chamber and this is usually required for the future anyways.

lxvnrsw
06-04-2011, 08:19 PM
Those egg sinkers sound great. So I guess I just tap one into my barrel (on the business end), remove it, and then measure it and I'll be in business.

Canuck Bob
06-04-2011, 09:44 PM
Basic is yes. Tap it in a little way being careful not to damage the crown. Then use a long rod from the other direction and tap it out gently. The slug is soft and delicate. Make sure it lands on something like a folded towel.

You then measure it with a micrometer if possible. Any gunsmith can do it if you lack the tools. Be aware some Enfields have odd lands and grooves (IE. a 5 groove barrel). If thats the case you will need help to measure. Ask around on here or drop in to the milsurp forum one stop up on the forum index.

I slugged my chamber end to find out what that was about. Same deal but you must mark your punch to stop at the right spot. It was actually easy. The egg stopped at the chamber face and I tapped another 1/4 inch and then tapped it out. This revealed the chamber neck, throat size, barrel size, and the shape of the leade. Custom makers like these slugs for design purposes. Most old hands here talk about this as well.

Slugging both ends of your barrel can be revealing. A tight chamber end and a large muzzle end is not good. The reverse is ideal. Old military rifles can get a bit trumpeted from cleaning practices of the Crunchies.