PDA

View Full Version : Mirror lube

Diegokid
06-01-2011, 08:06 PM
I just picked up about 50 sticks of an older gullet lube called Mirror Lube. I've been shooting a 158 grn made from wheel weights at 1500 +/_ 10 FPS for about 100 rounds and not enough leading to worry with. The velocity was taken using a bullet chronometer not on just load makeup.

Any info would be appreciated.

Hickory
06-01-2011, 08:49 PM
Looks like the new guy is running advertisement.

Hickory
06-01-2011, 08:52 PM
Swappin & Sellin A Place to Buy and Sell Our GUN STUFF! "NO EBAY LINKS,PLUGS or NOTICES" If the item is not for sale here exclusively ,do not list it here. DO NOT list the same goods you have on other forums. NO LONG LAUNDRY LISTS. This area is subject to thread deletion without notice if the same stuff is posted elsewhere. DO CHECK THE WTB FORUM IF SELLING ! Sales, trades and auction style sales are OK. Rules: NO spamming ,no degrading posts on sales threads, must be a member of 30 days OR with 25 posts. Privileges to post here can be revoked for abusing the above terms. Listings will be deleted after 30 days. This area is meant for casual sales only, if you have a "commercial" or "volume" based business venture contact 45nut. to sign on as a vendor sponsor.

turbo1889
06-01-2011, 09:16 PM
Maybe the new guy is asking info about the lube he is using wondering if he can get more once his stash runs out?

With respect Mr. Hickory I'm not convinced he is trying to advertise "Mirror Lube" since a quick google search leads me to believe the lube in question is at least 20 years vintage and I wasn't able to locate any place currently selling it at least with a quick google search. With respect I think there might be some assuming going on, especially since the OP hasn't been edited and from reading the OP I don't see any blatant advertising going on. You might be right Hickory and I might be wrong but I'm not convinced of it and I see no evidence to support your position of assumption.

mdi
06-01-2011, 09:35 PM
Check out his join date. Longer than the 3 of us...

sliphammer
06-01-2011, 09:45 PM
I first used mirror lube in the middle 70's. Still have a couple of sticks too. I used it in my 44 mag. at peak loads of H110 with no leading. Its good lube and always left a "mirror" bore.

runfiverun
06-01-2011, 10:39 PM
must use some carnuba.

Hickory
06-02-2011, 06:33 AM
Maybe the new guy is asking info about the lube he is using wondering if he can get more once his stash runs out?

With respect Mr. Hickory I'm not convinced he is trying to advertise "Mirror Lube" since a quick google search leads me to believe the lube in question is at least 20 years vintage and I wasn't able to locate any place currently selling it at least with a quick google search. With respect I think there might be some assuming going on, especially since the OP hasn't been edited and from reading the OP I don't see any blatant advertising going on. You might be right Hickory and I might be wrong but I'm not convinced of it and I see no evidence to support your position of assumption.

Our moderators are quick-on-the-draw here.
Looks like you guys missed it.

There was a first time poster, advertising herbal
stuff for a better and larger erection.
His post did not last long.

turbo1889
06-02-2011, 07:14 AM
Ahh !!! Okay.

My apologies to you Mr. Hickory I was scratching my head wondering what had brought that on.

I agree completely with your posting now that I know who it was aimed at. Blast the darn spammer !!!

Diegokid
06-02-2011, 06:20 PM
No advertising, just paid 50cents a stick for this stuff and was looking for just what I said INFORMATION.

Couldn't find much online and yes I've been casting for a long time. I'm a competitive shooter and have shot almost 25,000 rounds through the STI 2011 in 40 S&W I built almost ten years ago. I also have just about 5 fifty five gallon drums full of wheel weights and I still have a regular route I travel for more. Anyway I've only played with pistol bullets mostly but I've loaded for the 357 Marlin to hunt with, it works. I've pulled the trigger seven times and something died seven times.

I'm looking at trying this stuff on a 38-55 single shot since I can use it for a primitive weapon. The other point was we have a grass patch set up at 1500 yards for the 50 and even though thats a blast, "no pun intended" I've seen group buys here for 50 BMG bullet molds. Since I have all the lead I'm looking at trying things besides 357 and 40 S&W.

Thanks to those of you who had some info, and yes the bore is looking like a "mirror" just looking to see how far it will go, I'll just give it a whirl.:Fire:

Diegokid
06-02-2011, 06:23 PM
I don't have many posts because I'm really smart and don't ask about much nothing unless I just can't find out for myself.

Casting Timmy
06-02-2011, 10:10 PM
If you describe what it looks like or post a picture of hte lubes, I'm sure someone can help you identify what kind of lube it is and where you can find something similar.

M-Tecs
06-02-2011, 10:26 PM
Lucky dog!!!!!!!! Three or four years ago I purchased a 1000 rds of commercial cast H&G 68’s that were lubed with mirror lube. They worked very well for me. I tried several times to locate a source, but I never found any for sale. If you decide you don’t like it please keep me in mind. Thanks, Joel

Diegokid
06-03-2011, 07:41 PM
It's a solid stick, wrapped in a silver pack with a black section with the words "MIRROT-LUBE". It has a picture of a revolver right under that. Lube itself is very dark, actually black. I use it in a Star lubrisizer and it has to be heated. Inside the silver paper its wrapped in its rolled in tinfoil. Best description I can give. I bought it because of 1. the price and 2 The gentleman I bought it from used to shoot for the GA Law Enforcement in the 60's and 70's.

I will just keep trying it on a larger caliber. I've got an old 165 grn 308 caliber mold I bought and never tried it. I'll start with that in one of the bolt rifles.

It says it was made by American Speciality Lubricants, Long Beach CA.

Have a good weekend all.

turbo1889
06-03-2011, 08:22 PM
I don't have many posts because I'm really smart and don't ask about much nothing unless I just can't find out for myself.

If I followed your advise there I'd probably get into a lot less trouble !!!

Sorry, I can’t help you much on the actual lube question since everything I’ve been able to pull up with google search indicates without confirming it is vintage product that is no longer being made or sold.

myfriendis410
06-03-2011, 08:30 PM
I too have used Mirror Lube and have two sticks left, including a phone number. I tried calling that number off and on for several years with no luck. My understanding is the guy made it in his garage in San Diego and was in the Navy. He would be out on ship for months at a time and would be tough to get a hold of. Never did talk to him. I'll post a picture of the package.

Wonderful stuff.

randyrat
06-03-2011, 08:36 PM
Could you send me a small piece of it. Maybe, just maybe I could duplicate/identify it. One thing about it, I'm not going to start selling this lube, I would pass the info on. Might be interesting to us all.

myfriendis410
06-03-2011, 09:26 PM
I would be happy to send you one of my two sticks. Just PM me with an address and I'll shoot it out. If successful: send me a stick or two.

The info I have is:

Mirror-Lube
R.D. Issacoulian, owner
740 Metcalf #27
Escondido Calif. 92025
(619) 271-6549

I'll scan the cover and put it up when I have more time.

Diegokid
06-03-2011, 09:34 PM
The color being as dark as it is suggests it has Moly in it and it is VERY hard and must be heated to be used. I've had bullets lubed with it sitting in 110 degree weather and it doesn't come off.

Well there's a storm coming up so I'll be off now.

myfriendis410
06-03-2011, 10:30 PM
Here's the scan of the wrapper.

Bent Ramrod
06-03-2011, 11:37 PM
Mirror Lube was adertised as a patented formula (no patent number) which eliminates loading jams and reduces leading. Works well with rifle and pistol and lubricating qualities were unaffected by weather conditions. Can be stored indefinitely and keeps bore mirror clean.

It was mentioned in the first edition of Handloader's Digest in 1962 and last mentioned in the tenth edition 1984. I used a stick of it myself and it seemed to do as well as anything else.

Diegokid
06-04-2011, 07:58 AM
Thanks, I'll move along with the testing if we ever get caught up at work, I finish my current project, delay my next project ect, ect. It really suck getting old because the time just seems to dissappear. :groner:

So it would be a good one to try to duplicate? Or are legal issues still in play?

turbo1889
06-04-2011, 12:53 PM
Patents are good for 20 years unless a special extension is given by an act of Congress (almost completely unheard of). If the stuff dates back to the 60's I think if there ever was a patent it has long since expired.

My $0.02

double00
06-07-2011, 10:12 PM
i have some mirror lube that shoots very well. I bought it with a lyman sizer. It is a soft lube that i have, and not any use of a heater. I would like to duplicate it because i am about out. I heard it was no longer available.

double00
06-07-2011, 10:35 PM
By the way I am not trying to sell it either.

randyrat
06-10-2011, 11:37 PM
So far as I can tell it is a softer grease/beeswax base. I think it is a MOLY grease. It has a high burning point. I think I can duplicate it and improve it just slightly. Now comes the work.

BUT MONKEY question....Was MOLY grease around when this stuff was made? How long has Molybdenum disulfide been around? WW2 or maybe longer?

Seems to me some of my buddies used it on their M16s Kinda like a dry lube long ago.

Diegokid
06-11-2011, 07:50 AM
Moly has been around for quite some time. It was used by the military first and I could be wrong but think it was pre WWII.

We use a thread lube in the machinery shop we call moly b because it has large amounts of moly in it. We use a lot of SS bolts and Nickel Copper so you have to use antisieze. The moly B is in a tube and easier to use. I'll get the exact name later and let you know.

HeavyMetal
06-11-2011, 11:01 AM
I'll have to go check but I believe I have several sticks of Mirrow Lube with the pat# clearly printed on the side.

With the number you should be able to look it up and determine both the formula and what particular part of the lube the patent applied to.

The patent will apply to part ( or all) of the lube and not the process by whiich it was made.

At one time I was going to test just about every lube I could find and maybe write an article on same.

Life happens and I got a touch distracted but may someday follow up on it. would be nice to have this stuff back on the market.

I'll post the number for RR if I find it this morning.

randyrat
06-11-2011, 05:18 PM
My tube says "since 1967" 1967 there was Moly. Guys used Molybdenum disulfide (what form I don't know) on their M16s in Vietnam even though it was not an issue item. Word has it from a fellow who was there, Friends and family had to send it overseas because it was not an issue item.

double00
06-17-2011, 05:24 AM
The patent number on mine is 30971692

turbo1889
06-17-2011, 08:05 AM
The patent number on mine is 30971692

Just dropped that number in a patent search engine and got nothing. Must be too old of a patent number to show up in the search engine or the number is wrong.

randyrat
06-18-2011, 05:16 PM
OK I'm finished making a duplicate of the "mirror Lube" I made it out out of 2 oz high temp lithium moly grease, 6 oz beeswax a 1/8 teaspoon of carnauba wax & 1/2 teaspoon of Lanolin...........

Alan I'll send you what I made. It is bulk so you will have to melt it again if you want it in tube form.
I improved on it a bit. Should leave your bore nice and shinny and it will stick to your projectiles better than the original.

New name is "Billybob's clean bore lube"

Alan...Give it a try and let us know how it works for ya.

bowfin
06-18-2011, 08:48 PM
Well, looks like all I need is the grease, since Iordered all the rest from randy.

Thanks for the detective work, randy.

CetmesofNH
11-06-2012, 11:21 AM
Not meaning to raise the dead here, but I am acquainted with Mirror Lube.
Bob Issacoulian was, last I knew, a PR2 in the Navy. When he bought the Mirror Lube business he was stationed at SERE School, Warner Springs, CA. He had time on shore duty to run a business or three.
He ended up on a ship, and those of you who know, sailors belong on ships, and ships belong at sea, so the time for a business went away.
I don't know if Bob continued with the Mirror Lube business after his tour onboard the ship was completed. I left the service and drifted away, as is often the case.
But I recall the double wall steam kettle Bob had in his office in Escondido, with the Mirror Lube in it. Every now and again he'd heat it up, fill molds, wrap it, and sell it. I think he sold plenty at the gun shows in San Diego, but that was back in the 86-87 time frame.

MBTcustom
11-06-2012, 11:31 AM
Very interesting.

BDJ
11-08-2012, 05:44 AM
http://www.ohiogamefishing.com/photopost/watermark.php?file=61044

Gun's Magizene 1962 ---- 50 cents a stick. No price change in 50 years. Amazing

CetmesofNH
11-20-2012, 10:54 PM
So how did the newly formulated mirror lube work out, svp? Anyone gonna make enough to share?

M-Tecs
11-20-2012, 11:11 PM
[smilie=w:I lucked out and found 107 sticks so I am set for a while[smilie=w:

Reloader06
11-20-2012, 11:43 PM
Robert Dee Issacoulian lives in Fresno Ca. Used to live in San Deigo. Los Osos Ca. Age 51.

http://www.123people.com/e/robert+issacoulian

Matt

greg.g.
12-15-2012, 02:45 AM
I am new to the site, and I tried to email CetmesofNH a few times but I guess Im doing something wrong because the system tells me I have not sent any email [smilie=b:

Grapeshot
12-25-2012, 08:41 PM
Bought some of that myself back in 1975. Worked great for me when I had a .357 and .45 Auto. Always wondered what happened to it as I haven't seen it advertised in over 25 - 30 years.

leadman
12-26-2012, 12:46 AM
I know that moly was added to boolit lube in the late 30s or early 40s. Read about it in my old Am Rifleman magazines but sent these years to a friend in Wyoming.
We had moly and graphite when I started working for Cummins Diesel in 1969.

I'm looking for another lube that stays on shipped boolits and am interested in how this lube came out.

MT Chambers
12-28-2012, 10:33 AM
In the original post they talked about "gullet lube", any info on that?

randyrat
12-30-2012, 12:15 PM
You do not want anything to do with GULLET LUBE buddy.....