PDA

View Full Version : LNL powder dispense problem

Circuit Rider
06-01-2011, 07:46 PM
Set up to load 308, IMR 4064 powder. Every few cases get crimped by the case activated powder dispenser. I talked to Hornady tech and he thought the 4064 was the problem, extruded granules, hanging up or being cut and the bushing sticking. Tried AA 2230 and worked great, but let powder escape. Remember last fall reading about Dan Kuntz powder funnels. Would this correct my problems with extruded powders and the mess of fine powder such as AA 2230 ? Thanks in advance for any and all info. James

noylj
06-03-2011, 04:55 PM
I have loaded a lot of .30-06 and .30-30 on my L-N-L and never had a problem with 4064 or any other powder.
Hornady and you should be able to work through what is wrong or what you are doing wrong.
If the cast mouth is being squeezed down from the powder drop tube, you have way too much tension in the system. You should be able to adjust the measure so the case lifts the drop tube and activates the powder drop with very little force. To me, it sounds as though you have it adjusted to expand with a drop tube that does not expand. The powder should have no affect on how much tension it takes to lift the drop tube.
Even a very fine powder should not "leak," assuming you aren't cycling the press too fast to allow the powder to actually have time to flow into the case.

Circuit Rider
06-03-2011, 08:39 PM
noylj, I am probably missing something, just haven't found what. It will cycle through fine for 6 or 8 cases then crimp the case badly. The Hornady tech didn't have any answer. Will keep looking, maybe just being an ol' coot I'm not being observant enough.

cowboy
06-04-2011, 05:42 PM
Are all cases of uniform length? Have to ask or you can't rule it out as a problem source. Handgunners have the same problem with Dillon stuff when case lengths vary TOO much.
I have a LNL myself.

Circuit Rider
06-04-2011, 07:40 PM
Cowboy, yes I trimmed them before I started. Walked away from it this weekend and try to get some opinions from you guys. Will look at it Monday morning, no noise or interruptions. Thanks

jimkim
06-05-2011, 01:04 AM
I think Jeep Thing might have the solution for you. He was having the same problem. He drilled a hole in one of the levers(relocated a screw) so as to increase the leverage exerted by the case. I hope you can see his pics.

http://www.gunandgame.com/forums/handloading-reloading/122886-case-activated-measure.html

I think this is a landmark. This will be the first time I have been able to offer a solution to a problem on this forum by referencing a G&G thread. Usually I reference the threads from here. This just shows the intelligence and my trust of the members here, as well as what an excellent forum this really is. You guy's rock!!!!

Circuit Rider
06-05-2011, 09:03 AM
Much obliged JimKim, I really appreciate you input.

jimkim
06-06-2011, 04:50 AM
Any time.

Lloyd Smale
06-06-2011, 06:08 AM
sure you dont have the tube in upside down?

Circuit Rider
06-06-2011, 07:45 AM
No Lloyd, I made sure there. Going to do the change Jeep Thing did, see how it works. Thanks