PDA

View Full Version : My Marlin goof

msp2640
06-01-2011, 06:42 PM
Off to the range the other day with my new to me 1895 Cowboy model and my favorite 03A3 and a S&W 19. To put things in perspective, I own 4 or 5 other Marlins, but nothing made before the 1980's. Put a few rounds down range, both cast and jacketed with the A3 and then grab the Marlin. Have a box of warm 420gr cast I shot thru my regular 1895. Single load the round and after the trigger pull, nothing - wait about 30 seconds and open the action, not even a FP hit on the primer. I start to get a bummed out feeling about why it was on the used rifle rack where I bought it. I put it down and a few minutes later try a different round from the box, but this time load it thru the gate and then lever it thru the action - same outcome again no FP hit. Put the rifle back on the rack figuring, I'll take the bolt apart when I get home for an inspection. Finish up my 06 loads thru the A3 and a box of cast thru the S&W and pack up to go home. Putting the 1895CB away, I notice the cross safety and more importantly that it's still on safe. I think I just found the source of no FP hits - the safety actually works. Now it's too late to reset the targets and unpack - feel like a complete fool, but atleast no one else at the range had any idea of what was occurring at my bench. I got home a short time later and just to satisfy my curiosity, I popped a primed case with the CB. None of my other Marlins have this safety, but it's still on me for not being entire familiar with the rifle before range time with it. I bet others have done similar things, but I had to admit my goof at the range. Bill

tcrocker
06-01-2011, 07:02 PM
I never put my safety on for that reason. Just think how that would work if you were hunting all day long and at the last light a big buck came out and snap. I think I would be ready to wrap the rifle around a tree.

Gunnut 45/454
06-01-2011, 07:25 PM
It also give a different sound when the hammer falls on a safetied gun! This is why I use the half cocked as my safety! But thats infinately better then a broken Firingpin!:shock:

Mumblypeg
06-01-2011, 10:07 PM
I have several Marlins but only one with the crossbolt safety. I'm old school so it didn't take me long to figure out that I could take the stock off and tighten down on the set screw that pushes the spring and plunger against the bolt safety while it is in the off position thus locking it there.

crabo
06-02-2011, 12:53 AM
I have several Marlins but only one with the crossbolt safety. I'm old school so it didn't take me long to figure out that I could take the stock off and tighten down on the set screw that pushes the spring and plunger against the bolt safety while it is in the off position thus locking it there.

This works well.

daddywpb
06-02-2011, 04:54 AM
I have unintentionally done the same thing. Couldn't figure it out at first.:lol: I never use that safety, only half cock. It's stupid to have a manual safety on a lever rifle.

LEADHOPPER
06-02-2011, 07:28 AM
Bill, don't feel so bad. I did same thing last year deer hunting. Got tired of sitting in my deer stand so figured I'd take a walk. As I eased through the creek bottom I was hunting I heard a twig snap, look to the left and 2 does are coming up the trail right at me. Shoulder the 336 and squeeze the trigger and gun goes "CLICK". I'm trying to figure out what I did, as the deer are standing at maybe 15 yards staring at me. I to forgot to turn the cross bolt safety off after I had lowered my rifle down before I climbed down. Luckily they where still standing there after I figured it out, and was able to take both of them home. Boy that was almost a bad day, being they were the only deer that I saw while I was hunting.

pdawg_shooter
06-02-2011, 09:23 AM
An o-ring slipped around the button blocks it in the off position, and covers the red band. Cost? 6 for a dollar at my auto parts store.

Keyston44
06-02-2011, 09:36 AM
I treat my lever gun just like all my other hunting guns with safeties. Before I shoot, I take the safety off.

If you don't use the safety on your lever gun, does that mean you don't use the safety on other guns?
It's just habit and paying attention for me. I would rather have a "click" when I want a "bang" than a "bang" when I want a "click". No matter what is in front of the barrel.

Key

1Shirt
06-02-2011, 10:54 AM
Progress??????
1Shirt!:coffee:

mroliver77
06-02-2011, 11:16 AM
Leadhopper, tell me you DON'T climb into and out of a tree stand with a loaded gun safety or no safety. I have read of many dropping a lever gun while going up or down a ladder. They always seem to fall stock first and some bounce the hammer back and fire up through the hunters rear end. With Murphy firmly against us there is always a chance of the gun hitting a branch or such and pushing the cross bolt safety off.

I caught heck about this years ago and was mad about it. After thinking it through I never climb with a loaded (chambered round) gun. It's not like I am going to shoot at something while on the ladder anyhow.

If you do unload, good on you and teach your friends gun safety!
Jay

LEADHOPPER
06-02-2011, 11:46 AM
mroliver77,

No, I would never climb a stand or raise or lower a loaded gun on a rope. My luck the rope would come undone and I would drop the gun and shoot myself. Sorry I didn't clarify that.

LH

redneckdan
06-02-2011, 11:56 AM
they also make replacements for the hillary hole that simulate a saddle ring carbine.

winelover
06-02-2011, 12:02 PM
I hunt out of treestands and use vinyl covered wire rope to haul up a bow or long gun. I always make sure the muzzle is pointed DOWN. No need to have the chamber loaded either.

Winelover

Jeff H
06-02-2011, 10:58 PM
....I notice the cross safety and more importantly that it's still on safe......

[smilie=b:[smilie=b:[smilie=b:

I feel your pain.;-)

When I took the Rossi to a friend's house, he and I shot it and I had another of his friends finish up so I could free up the brass.

He farted around with it, took aim,..... nothing.

Repeated the above procedure three times, each time ejecting a live round and trying another. I figured my "cheap gun" broke and now I would have to fix it.

Nope - safety was on.:groner:

I try not to complain about such things too much, but the safeties on revolvers and lever-guns causes problems. I am no Luddite, but some "new" things are just no good in my book.

Clinebo
06-03-2011, 12:45 AM
I deleted the crossbolt safety on my Marlin 1895 STBL for the saddle ring and also took the flimsy little topbolt safety on my Rossi '92 off. The half cock is good enough for me, or don't chamber a round til ready to shoot. I also replaced the plastic magazine follower with metal on both guns.

7of7
06-04-2011, 12:38 PM
I have a win 94, it has the tang safety.. and the rebounding hammer... I gotta remedy both conditions by replacing the lower tang... and everything else on it.. but, don't have the money to dedicate to it right now... (other things are more important, as it is a .357 Mag)
There was nothing wrong with the old designs of these rifles... damn lawyers.. and politicians... I know the winchesters have to have the lever gripped in order for the trigger to operate, (not so sure on a Marlin) To me, that is good enough.. and then there is the mid position on the hammer...

458mag
06-04-2011, 03:10 PM
I never put my safety on for that reason. Just think how that would work if you were hunting all day long and at the last light a big buck came out and snap. I think I would be ready to wrap the rifle around a tree.

That is exactly what my oldest nephew did with his 336. My youngest nephew, his little brother was sitting next to him in the blind with his 243 handy rifle. After nephew #1 ejected all of his rounds trying to get a bang, nephew #2 decided the 8 pointer was fair game. Of course the handy went boom, the buck died in short order, and nephew#1 was very upset when he found out the ammo was not defective and the safety on his 336 works like its suposed to.

garry r
06-06-2011, 12:05 AM
many many times but i found out how much i was flinching because of it lol

msp2640
06-06-2011, 04:13 PM
Well back to the range this afternoon with the same rifle and ammo. I'm pleased to report that I learned from my "training day" at the last range trip. The rifle went boom each time it was loaded and the trigger was pulled with the safety off. I also learned, although it's fairly accurate with the longer sight radius, it hit's like a mule on the shooter's end off of the bench with only the plastic butt plate. The one box of ammo I had was enough to loosen a few fillings. Everything else was a pleasure to shoot after the 420 gr gc'd loads. 150 gr gc'd 3006 loads thru my SA '03 were like 22 mags after the big boomer. As always a pleasurable day at the range. Thanks Bill L

LUBEDUDE
06-08-2011, 07:37 PM
Clinebo - would you please tell where you got the Saddlering and mag follower ?

GH1
06-08-2011, 08:55 PM
I've made the same mistake at the range, I think many of us have. The good news is you figured it out and there's nothing wrong with your rifle. I'm sure that because you learned your lesson at the range you won't make the same mistake in the field. Isn't that why we go to the range in the first place, to get a feel for our guns?
Glad you like your new lever.
GH1

mack1
06-11-2011, 12:24 AM
A snap ring in the red ring will also solve the safty problem. Many lever actions have been saftly carried for more than 100 years without a crossbolt safty, I do not think it is an inherent danger but fear of incompatant people winning lawsuits because someone else did not do all of there thinking for them. Sorry for the rant, this is a pet peeve of mine.

PatMarlin
06-12-2011, 11:11 PM
Honestly, the Marlin cross bolt safety does not bother me. It's a good safety for unloading your firearm, and I use the hammer safety for normal use.

I do have a problem with Winchester dropping the hammer safety and replacing it with the cross bolt. Now that sucks.

josper
07-03-2011, 06:30 PM
Here in the frozen north country at the end of the day I ALWAYS put the safety on before I lever out my cartridges to unload. I have herd stories of guys accidently touching off a round because of cold fingers. Like most of you I prefer to use the half cock as the safety during the hunt.

daddywpb
07-03-2011, 06:52 PM
Who makes that saddle ring to fill up the hole on that ridiculous safety on the Marlins? Very good idea. I've been hunting with lever guns for 40 years without a safety. Don't need to start now.