PDA

View Full Version : Re-Lubing

BigRix
06-01-2011, 03:57 PM
Being new to all this I've decided when I start casting I will pan lube.

In the meantime I have a bunch of gunshow bullets that the lube is falling out of.

http://i576.photobucket.com/albums/ss208/BigRix/d03e2fa5.jpg

So my question is, how should I go about getting the old lube off and how clean do they need to be before I start re-lubing?

Doby45
06-01-2011, 04:05 PM
Put them in a pan and pop them in the oven at 250*. Once they are hot, the lube will melt out and you can then pour your own melted lube in the pan to cover the lube groove and then let cool. Cut with kake cutter.

runfiverun
06-01-2011, 10:42 PM
if that lube is pretty close in consistency to the one you are gonna use i'd just lube them and not really worry about trying to get off the old lube.
thise look like pretty good boolits though.
pan lubing usually goes better if you heat the boolits and lube together anyways.

Casting Timmy
06-02-2011, 10:06 PM
I'd agree, if you're using something close, just add to the bullets. I would probably just add to either way, use a small pan and do small batches at first. THen when you get the hang off it, move to bigger batches.

Oldgoatlips has a website that's pretty good about pan lubing and you can also watch some videos on youtube to get a hang of it before starting.

mdi
06-03-2011, 12:04 PM
Yep, relube them with the remains of the old lube still there. A lot of folks will pour liquid lube (melted) around bullets in a pan, but I prefer to put the lube and bullets in a pan together in an oven @ 175 - 200 degrees for about 20 minutes, until the bullets and lube are the same temp. While the lube/bullets are heating I adjust the depth of the lube to cover the lube groove. Let cool and either punch out the bullets or use a "cookie cutter" to separate the bullets/lube...

BigRix
06-03-2011, 04:47 PM
Thanks for all the advice. I have stumbled across a Lyman Lubri-Sizer since starting this thread. I think I will melt the lube off then run them through the sizer.

Is it ok to run previously sized bullets through the sizer?

Cherokee
06-03-2011, 08:16 PM
Why bother trying to get rid of the old lube, just run them thru the Lyman. You might want to check to see if the bullet size is the same or larger than the die in your Lyman. A smaller size bullet than your die might leak a little lube, or might not.

Love Life
06-04-2011, 12:29 AM
If you have to get rid of the old lube you can always boil them until the lube melts off. Once that happens take the pot off of the heat and let cool. Skim the old lube off the top and let boolits dry. then re lube them.

wallenba
06-04-2011, 01:13 PM
Looks like Orange Magic (Lyman). But any lube you have that's similar will be OK without removing it.