PDA

View Full Version : Octagonal SS Rossi 92's

firebrick43
06-01-2011, 11:13 AM
Has any one handled the Rossi 92's in stainless steel with octagonal barrels?

Shot a sass shoot with the wife and we are both in love with it. Best thing is now she want to get more guns, I was running out of VALID reasons to buy them. I shot two rossi this week end one stock ( which sucked) and one slicked up which was every bit the equal of a friends 1894 marlin. I have a stainless steel fetish and would like to match the gun to my SS vaqueros.

The main thing I am asking is the quality of the steel. Most stainless steel are some what soft and gummy and have wear/galling problems in friction situations. Rugers stainless is harder and better wearing however than their blued guns. So has anyone shot a Rossi in SS for a lot of rounds? How did it hold up?

Thanks!

cajun shooter
06-02-2011, 10:27 AM
I had Steve Young aka Nate Kiowa Jones build me that exact gun with a 20 inch barrel in 45 Colt to shoot in SASS matches. The rifle was as slick as hot butter and could be worked with one finger. If you were in bright sunlight then the stock sights were hard to see. I changed to a Marbles tang site and bigger brass front and no problems. The aperture was unscrewed from the rear and I used it like a ghost site. With BP it was very easy to clean and water did it no harm. I started shooting a 1873 and switched over to the 44-40 but not because of any problems with the Rossi. I will say one thing, Find and buy a older Rossi and not the new ones . The Hartford model or Interarms are the better guns.

Clinebo
06-03-2011, 12:55 AM
I bought a Hartford Mod '92 last winter in .45 Colt. It is SS with the 24" Octagon bbl. During the cold winter I changed the lever to a 3/4 loop and replaced the sights,deleted the phony safety,and replaced the plastic magazine follower with a metal one. I bought Steves DVD and did the action work while it was apart. The rifle shoots great! I haven't put a lot of rounds through it yet. But its going to be riding along with me on my ATV in the MT woods with my Ruger Vaquero in .45 Colt.